-Caveat Lector-

The Transcript

Three exchanges between former President Bill Clinton and Israeli Prime
Minister Ehud Barak on the Marc Rich pardon

NEWSWEEK

Aug. 27 issue — The following are verbatim notes from conversations between
former President Bill Clinton and former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak
about the pardon of fugitive financier Marc Rich. Other topics were covered
by the two heads of state during their calls, but were edited out of the
transcript.

     Dec. 11, 2000, 6:17 - 6:36 p.m. (in the Residence):
       Prime Minister [Ehud] Barak: Okay, thank you. One last remark. There
is an American Jewish businessman living in Switzerland and making a lot of
philanthropic contributions to Israeli institutions and activities like
education, and he is a man called Mark [sic] Rich. He violated certain rules
of the game in the United States and is living abroad. I just wanted to let
you know that here he is highly appreciated for his support of so many
philanthropic institutions and funds, and that if I can, I would like to
make my recommendation to consider his case.

       President Clinton: I am going to take all of them up at the same
time. I know about that case because I know his ex-wife. She wants to help
him, too. If your ex-wife wants to help you, that’s good.
       Prime Minister Barak: Oh. I know his new wife only, an Italian woman,
very young. Okay. So, Mr. President, thank you very much. We will be in
touch. [Rich’s second wife, Gisela, is actually German.]

----

       January 8, 2001, 5:57 - 6:15 p.m. (in the Oval Office):
       Prime Minister Barak: Let me tell you last but not least two names I
want to mention. [Redacted] The second is Mark [sic], the Jewish American.
       President Clinton: I know quite a few things about that. I just got a
long memo and am working on it. It’s best that we not say much about that.
       Prime Minister Barak: Okay. I understand. I’m not mentioning it in
any place.
       President Clinton: I understand.
       Prime Minister Barak: I believe it could be important [gap] not just
financially, but he helped Mossad on more than one case.
       President Clinton: It is a bizarre case, and I am working on it.
       Prime Minister Barak: Okay. I really appreciate it.

----

       January 19, 2001, 2:47 - 3:09 p.m. (in the Oval Office):
       President Clinton: [Redacted] I’m trying to do something on clemency
for Rich, but it is very difficult.
       Prime Minister Barak: Might it move forward?
       President Clinton: I’m working on that but I’m not sure. I’m glad you
asked me about that. When I finish these calls, I will go back into the
meeting on that but I’m glad you raised it. Here’s the only problem with
Rich; there’s almost no precedent in American history. There’s nothing
illegal about it but there’s no precedent. He was overseas when he was
indicted and never came home. The question is not whether he should get it
or not but whether he should get it without coming back here. That’s the
dilemma I’m working through. I’m working on it.
       Prime Minister Barak: Okay.

"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candelight,
 moonlight, no light.
 If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls
 I will write always
 I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you."

[EMAIL PROTECTED]