-Caveat Lector-

I think every government strives to control the flow of drugs
completely within its borders for the power and manipulative
abilities it gives.  There is a woman in my State convicted under
state laws, not federal, who received a sentence of life WITHOUT
POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE  for a $75 drug sale of some leftover medical
oral morphine to an undercover agent. First offense and she has two
young children.  I am working with a group trying to do something
about this but I do not understand how this sort of thing happens.
Hers is not the only case where there is obvious discrepancy
between the crime and the punishment in this State.  I suppose it
exists in others as well.
~Amelia~

New DEA head to enforce medical marijuana ban

By KAREN GULLO, Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Va.
(August 21, 2001 11:20 a.m. EDT ) - The new chief of the Drug
Enforcement Administration said Monday he would strive to enforce
the federal ban on medical marijuana.

Speaking to reporters on his first official day on the job, Asa
Hutchinson - an Arkansas Republican who gave up a House seat to
take the DEA job - said he would try to "send the right signal."

Federal law prohibits the sale of marijuana for medical uses. Some
states, however, let patients use marijuana for such purposes.

"The question is how do you address that from an enforcement
standpoint," he said. "You're not going to tolerate a violation of
law, but at the same time there are a lot of different
relationships, a lot of different aspects that we have to consider
as we develop that enforcement policy."

Hutchinson said rehabilitation and prevention programs will be
emphasized under his leadership.

"Mr. Downey Jr. in California ... has gone through rehab because it
started with a law enforcement procedure," said Hutchinson,
referring to the actor Robert Downey Jr., a repeat drug offender
who was ordered to undergo rehabilitation in July under a new state
law that stresses treatment over punishment for substance abusers.

Hutchinson said he is an advocate of drug courts that allow
nonviolent first time offenders to receive treatment and counseling
rather than jail time. Regarding the new California law, Hutchinson
said he is concerned that there is no drug testing component to the
state program.

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Oregon and
Washington allow sick people to receive, possess, grow or smoke
marijuana for medical purposes without fear of state prosecution.
Those states have done little to change their statutes since the
Supreme Court ruled federal law prohibits people from dispensing
marijuana to the ill, saying it's up to federal authorities to
enforce the court's decision.

Hutchinson, a former federal prosecutor who served as a House
prosecutor in former President Clinton's impeachment trial, said
the scientific and medical communities have thus far determined
there is no legitimate medical use for marijuana.

"If they continue to study it, we will listen to them," he said.
"You have to listen to the medical community in terms of what is
legitimate pain medication versus that which is simply a guise for
a different agenda."

Speaking moments before his swearing-in ceremony at DEA
headquarters, Hutchinson said his priorities would be to continue
working with state and local law enforcement organizations to fight
drug crime, to strengthen ties with international law enforcement
agencies to combat drug smuggling and to step up use of technology
to "stay ahead of drug traffickers."

Acknowledging the tough road ahead, Hutchinson said he was
encouraged that in the last 15 years, cocaine use has fallen by 75
percent. But he said acknowledged there was a "sense that our
efforts are not as fruitful as we'd like them to be."

On other issues, Hutchinson said:

- The U.S. government should continue supporting Colombia's fight
against drug smugglers.

- Education and demand reduction would be as important as law
enforcement at the DEA under his leadership.

- Mandatory minimum sentencing laws have proved effective in
combatting drug crime, but judges should have some discretion in
sentencing decisions.

- He would consider improvements to DEA's supervision of paid
informants, including the creation of a central registry to keep
track of how they are used.

News Copyright © 2001 Interest!ALERT All rights reserved.