-Caveat Lector-

~Amelia~

Some of you may be too young to remember this but we are still
dealing with the aftermath of this horror.  President Carter made
the mistake of saying we would accept ANY Cubans seeking asylum
here.  Castro promptly emptied his prisons and mental hospitals and
sent them our way.  I was looking for the crimes traced back to
this but did not locate it.  At one time, I saw the figure of
35,000 crimes committed by this one group.  If we have open borders
with Mexico, what is to stop that country from doing the same
thing?  Nothing.    8-(
~Amelia~
CUBANET ... CUBANEWS
 December 17, 1999

Mariel Debacle Still Haunts U.S.

Chicago Tribune. December 17, 1999

Except for the hostage-takers at the parish jail in St.
Martinville, La.--whose criminal actions merit more time behind
bars--there is no simple solution to the problem posed by Cuban
boat people being imprisoned indefinitely by U.S. immigration
authorities.

Were Cuban-American relations at all normal, they already would
have been deported, as U.S. law requires. But Cuba won't agree to
take them and U.S. authorities rightly fear releasing them into the
population at large.

The current mess dates back to the 1980 Mariel boatlift, a face-off
between the U.S. and Cuba so colossally mishandled by the Carter
administration that it still reeks 20 years later. An invasion of
the Peruvian Embassy in Havana by asylum-seekers quickly
degenerated into a free-for-all that ultimately brought about
125,000 Cubans to Florida, including thousands of mental patients
and convicts.

A small, hard core of these were later convicted and sentenced for
crimes committed on U.S. soil. But even after serving their
sentences, about 2,400 of them remain in jail: Federal law requires
that they be deported, but Castro won't take them back.

Following 1987 prison riots similar to that now happening in
Louisiana, a mechanism of hearings and paroles was used to free
some of those caught in this Catch-22. They will never receive
resident visas, much less U.S. citizenship, but they are
nevertheless freed under custody of the Immigration and
Naturalization Service.

But according to INS, the fate of 1,750 of those still imprisoned
is further complicated by the fact that every one of them has been
released at least once--and has committed another crime that put
them back in prison. These are not nice folks.

Following 1984 talks with the U.S., Cuba took back about 1,500
Mariel rafters detained here. This process, however, fell apart
amid the subsequent ups and downs of relations between the two
countries.

The latest snag in the immigration negotiations is the case of
Elian Gonzales, the 6-year-old boy whose reunion with his Cuban
family is being held hostage by the passionate Cuban-American
politics of Miami.

That should be resolved immediately, with Elian returning to his
father in Cuba, so that talks can proceed on other issues,
including the final repatriation of this group of Mariel rafters.

Not a perfect solution by any means, but about as neat a closure as
one can hope for to this very messy foreign-policy blunder.

[ BACK TO THE NEWS ]