Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 18:16:31
Subject: SNET: Too Much Soy Could Lead To Kidney Stones

<PRE>-> SNETNEWS Mailing List</PRE>

Source: American Chemical Society (http://www.acs.org/)

Date: Posted 8/29/2001

Too Much Soy Could Lead To Kidney Stones

New research indicates that soybeans and soy-based foods, a staple in the
diets of many health-conscious consumers, may promote kidney stones in
those prone to the painful condition. The finding will be published in the
September issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-
reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest
scientific society.

The researchers measured nearly a dozen varieties of soybeans for oxalate,
a compound that can bind with calcium in the kidney to form kidney stones.
They also tested 13 types of soy-based foods, finding enough oxalate in
each to potentially cause problems for people with a history of kidney stones,
according to Linda Massey, Ph.D., at Washington State University in
Spokane. The amount of oxalate in the commercial products easily eclipsed
the American Dietetic Association’s 10 milligram-per-serving
recommendation for patients with kidney stones, with some foods reaching
up to 50 times higher than the suggested limit, she noted.

“Under these guidelines, no soybean or soy-[based] food tested could be
recommended for consumption by patients with a personal history of kidney
stones,” she said.

No one had previously examined soy foods for oxalate, thus the researchers
are the first to identify oxalate in store-bought products like tofu, soy cheese
and soy drinks. Other foods, such as spinach and rhubarb, also contain
significant oxalate levels, but are not as widely consumed for their presumed
health benefits, Massey said.

During their testing, the researchers found the highest oxalate levels in
textured soy protein, which contains up to 638 milligrams of oxalate per 85-
gram serving. Soy cheese had the lowest oxalate content, at 16 milligrams
per serving. Spinach, measured during previous research, has approximately
543 milligrams per one-cup (2 oz. fresh) serving.

Soy, a natural source of protein, fiber and healthy oils, is used to enhance a
myriad of foods, ranging from hamburgers to ice cream. It can be ground into
flour and used in a variety of grain products, or formed into chunks and
ground like meat. Soy is also being studied for its potential to lower
cholesterol, reduce bone loss and prevent breast cancer. The U.S. Food and
Drug Administration recently approved a new label on foods containing at
least 6.25 grams of soy protein per serving that boasts of a reduced risk of
cardiovascular disease.

Oxalate, however, cannot be metabolized by the body and is excreted only
through urine, Massey said. The compound has no nutritional value, but binds
to calcium to form a mass (kidney stones) that can block the urinary system,
she said. Further research is needed to find types of soybeans with less
oxalate, or to develop a processing method to remove the compound before
it reaches consumers, she added.

No one knows precisely why kidney stones occur in particular individuals. But
Massey said high levels of oxalate in the urine increase the risk and those
with a family history of the ailment are more likely to suffer from the condition;
individuals with a low probability of kidney stones are unlikely to be affected
by oxalate in soy-based foods.

More than one million people were diagnosed with kidney stones in the
United States in 1996, the most recent available data, according to the
National Institutes of Health. Stones can range in size from the diameter of a
grain of rice to the width of a golf ball. An estimated 10 percent of the U.S.
population, mostly men, will develop a kidney stone at some point in their
lives, according to the NIH.

Steve Wingate, Webmaster
ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com

<PRE>
-> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]</PRE>

<PRE>==^================================================================
Or send an email To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<A HREF=" http://www.topica.com/partner/tag02/register ">http://www.topica.com/partner/tag02/register</A>
==^================================================================</PRE>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Start here...

Height:
3 4 5 6 7 8 ft     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 in

Weight:
lbs. kg.

American Patriot Friends Network (APFN)
http://www.apfn.org
APFN EMAIL LIST SUBSCRIBE/UNSCBSCRIBE IN SUBJECT LINE TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
APFN YahooGroups:
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
APFN CONTENTS: http://www.apfn.org/apfn/apfncont.htm
APFN MSG BOARD: http://disc.server.com/Indices/149495.html

APFN SITE MAP:
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/sitemap.htm

Public Education System vs Christian Home Schooling
Home School News, Info. & Links
http://www.ordination.org/homeschool.htm

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better
than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask
not your counsel or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands of those
who feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget
that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams