-Caveat Lector-

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20010903-8749857.htm

The Washington Times

Gun suits running

Dick Boland
CREATORS SYNDICATE

Published 9/3/01

     The "gun made me do it" people in New York state and California have experienced
a big setback. The top state courts
said gun makers cannot be held liable for death and injuries because of their
marketing practices. This is good news for the
National Rifle Association and bad news for the dozens of lawsuits across the nation
against gun manufacturers. The idea that a
company can be sued because someone misused its product is absurd. Lawyers felt the
gun makers' marketing ploys were the
cause of many shooting deaths and injuries.
     It's like blaming automobile companies, who tout their cars on racetracks all
over the nation, for your speeding ticket. After
all, the car can reach speeds of over 200 mph, and you were just a victim of a
marketing ploy. I suppose if the lawyers could
prove that the gun makers were responsible for all of the shootings that occur each
night on TV, and that they do this with the
intent of selling guns, they might have a case. But it's unlikely that will ever
happen because jurors like television.
     If marketing practices are what causes crime, shouldn't we be taking a look at
some of those rap singers who advocate
killing cops? The rap singer made me get the gun, and the gun made me shoot the cop
with the steel-jacketed ammo advertised
in the hunting magazine. This kind of thinking would result in enough lawsuits to tie
up our courts for years, with lawyers
salivating at the possibility of hitting a bonanza similar to the tobacco fiasco.
     Once again we have a legal product under attack. Owning a gun is no different
than owning an automobile or, for that
matter, a knife. All three result in numerous deaths each year because they were used
maliciously. Blaming the manufacturer for
misuse of his product is business for lawyers and has nothing to do with right or
wrong -- and everything to do with a fee or a
share of the loot if they win. At one time, there were more guns than lawyers in this
country. Now look at the mess we are in.
     There are so many laws concerning the purchase and use of guns, including
background checks, that it is hard to understand
why more are needed. Guns will always fall into the wrong hands, and criminals are not
going to be governed by any of the gun
laws. The gun laws have but one purpose: to discourage honest citizens from purchasing
and owning firearms. No amount of
laws will ever prevent someone intent on getting a gun from doing so. The idea that a
trigger lock will prevent children from
getting their hands on firearms is ridiculous. It is likely that parents will keep the
gun in a drawer and the key to the lock nearby.
     We depend on the government to defend us against criminals but at the same time
leave us defenseless. It's even against the
law to own pepper spray in many states. Occasionally, we read about a shopkeeper who
guns down a thief in his store and is
put through the mill for defending himself. Maybe our Founding Fathers had the thief
in mind when they gave us the right to bear
arms. However, there are other thieves out there trying to steal our right to bear
arms.

                           Copyright © 2001 News World Communications, Inc. All rights
reserved.