-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Christians Practicing Pagan Customs
By Chuck Baldwin
August 28, 2001

Some have suggested that we have entered the "post-Christian era of
 America." They are right. Despite the fact that millions of Americans
regularly attend thousands of churches on any given Sunday, our culture has
become decidedly pagan.

Only a pagan culture would tolerate the legalized killing of unborn
children. Only a pagan culture would give sexual deviancy political
protection. Only a pagan culture would grant depraved people superstar
status. Only a pagan culture would elect and re-elect known adulterers and
homosexuals to high public office. Only a pagan culture would indoctrinate
school children in secular humanism and atheistic evolution.

Regrettably, the fact that well over one-third of the adults in the United
States claim to be born-again Christians has done little to impact an
ever-deteriorating culture. Instead, it seems that culture is having an
impact on the church. Sometimes it is even difficult to tell where the one
begins and the other ends. A recent news article reminded me of this
reality. It said that in just a few short years, there would be as many
cremations as burials in the United States. Once again, a Christian
tradition has succumbed to a pagan one.

Hebrews in the Old Testament distinguished themselves from their pagan
neighbors by both their birth and their death. Shortly after birth, little
Jewish boys were circumcised. This was in stark contrast to the myriad pagan
nations that never circumcised their male children. At death, Jews were
buried. This, too, was in stark contrast to the pagans who burned their
dead.

The New Testament carries forward this Hebrew custom. Nowhere is a Christian
seen burning his dead. Imagine an urn replacing a tomb in the resurrection
story! That is not to say that God cannot resurrect a body from ashes as
easily as He can from dust. It is only to say that the Judeo-Christian
custom for disposing of the dead is burial, not burning. The fact that so
many Christians have adopted the pagan method for disposing of their dead
(burning) is further evidence that America has lost its Christian heritage.

Furthermore, the reason usually given for cremation is that it is
substantially less expensive than burial is. Once again, Christians are
opting for pragmatism over principle. It seems that virtually every decision
we make today is predicated upon the premise that personal comfort or
personal prosperity trumps every other consideration, even the consideration
of how we dispose of the very people we should love and respect the most.

As with so many issues, "people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." If
only we could awaken America's pulpits; then, perhaps more people would come
to see the light.