-Caveat Lector-

Shouldn't that be 'whom'?  Anyway, the hate crimes label is used to
cover a variety of reverse-discrimination and race-baiting.  If a
person does something you do not like, one of the usual labels and
names can be made to fit.  Racist, Nazi, Anti-Semitic, homophobe,
fanatic, extremist and on and on.  I think it is time we take a
much more careful look at those doing the name calling for Jesse
Jackson has taught us much about the motives of those preaching
this form of vicious and divisive behavior.  We now have hate-group
in charge of instructing law enforcement for the purpose of setting
it against 'those whom we do not like' and making false charges and
adding names of individuals or groups to 'lists' because of their
religious beliefs or something said of which these groups do not
approve.  Is this America?
~Amelia~

WHO IS HATING WHO?
UNFAIR HATE CRIME LEGISLATION

By: Robert Moon

Ever since Congress passed the Hate Crimes Statistics Act eleven
years ago mandating the collection of data about transgressions
motivated by an offenders bias against a victims race, religion,
sexual orientation, or ethnicity, states have been enacting hate
crimes legislation at a feverish pace. To hear the liberal media
and the so-called civil rights leaders talk about it you would
believe that heterosexual white males were the only perpetrators of
these types of crimes. Al Sharpton even characterized white on
black violence as "a national epidemic." Jesse Jackson asserts that
blacks are not only "despised" but are actually "hunted for sport."
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Even the FBI's own statistics show that the average black is 1.6
times more likely to commit a racially motivated hate crime than
the other way around. This doesn't even take into account the fact
that a white on black crime is five times more likely to be
categorized as a hate crime than a black on white crime is. This is
one of the main problems with hate crime legislation. There is no
clear standard used to make a classification. Law enforcement and
the media are biased when it comes to classifying a crime as one of
hate.

When black on white crimes occur they get very little attention
from the media and the majority of that is local coverage. Even
when reported, race is usually omitted from the news story.
Everyone has heard of the horror stories about the Wyoming gay
student Matthew Shepard's murder and the dragging death of James
Byrd in Texas. Both received national coverage and around the clock
headlines, as they should have.

Unless you get most of your news from the Internet, I will bet you
never heard of Ronald Taylor, a black man who gunned down five
whites killing three. A black neighbor quoted Taylor as saying " I'
m gonna kill all white people." The media when reporting this story
went out of their way to avoid an appearance of racism. According
to Larry Elder, news anchors cautioned that we don't know whether
Taylor's alleged hatred against whites was the "primary" or "sole"
reason for the shootings. Even the police failed to refer to this
crime as a hate crime.

Another story you may have missed happened on November 11, 1999 in
Kansas City. An Ethiopian man shot and killed two co-workers and
wounded a third person. All of the victims were white. The black
shooter, who also killed himself, left a letter talking about
"bloodsucker" whites. A total of only eleven newspapers even
bothered to carry a story about this apparent race based shooting.
Here again it was never officially categorized as a hate crime.

Crimes like the ones mentioned above happen frequently but get very
little attention from the national media or liberal politicians.
According to an a August 1999 column by Dr. Walter Williams, the
National Crime Victimization Survey for 1997 listed 1,700,000
interracial crimes; of those 1,276,030 involved blacks and whites.
In 90% of the cases, a white was the victim and a black was the
perpetrator.

Another finding of the NCVS report is that of the 2,025,464 violent
crimes committed by blacks 1,140,670 were against whites (56%). In
the same time period whites committed 5,114,692 violent crimes. Of
those 135,360 or only 2.6% were committed against blacks. Given
these statistics who really hates who? You certainly won't find
these statistics in the New York Times.

Hate crime laws punish people for what they think and say, not for
what they do. According to Lowell Ponte writing for Front Page
Magazine "the rational for this is that those who commit a crime
out of "hate" are terrorists deliberately causing fear among all
who belong to the group-racial, gender, gender preference or
whatever-of their victim." The problem is that hate crime laws are
highly selective. "They have the effect of making the same crime
against some citizens more subject to punishment than if committed
against others."

I am not pointing out these statistics to prove that blacks hate
whites more than the other way around. My point is no one can
really prove why a criminal chooses his victim in most cases. Most
of the people in charge of making these decisions are under
enormous political pressures to make the "right" decision. This is
why hate crime laws are biased and should not be allowed. In
addition they violate the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth
Amendment. Making one group more equal than others. It is important
that we resist these types of laws. I encourage all Americans who
still believe in the US Constitution to write to your federal and
state legislators stating your opposition to the enactment of these
laws in the future.

Mail this article to a friend(s) in two clicks!

Robert Moon writes from Ft. Worth Texas and is a regular columnist
for Ether Zone.

Robert Moon can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Published in the September 12, 2001 issue of Ether Zone.
Copyright © 2001 Ether Zone (http://www.etherzone.com).
Reposting permitted with this message intact.

We invite your comments on this article in our forum!