-Caveat Lector-

> FWIW, according to R.E. and T.N. Dupuy's _Encyclopedia of Military
> History_, 2nd Revised ed., p. 1198, the number of WWII *military dead*

well, of course, i was speaking of military & civilian. goddamn you making
me actually check my sources...

the encarta encyclopedia, some kind of digital version done in 97 by, yes,
microsoft, says:

"The human cost of the war fell heaviest on the USSR, for which the official
total, military and civilian, is given as more than 20 million killed. The
Allied military and civilian losses were 44 million; those of the Axis, 11
million. The military deaths on both sides in Europe numbered 19 million and
in the war against Japan, 6 million. The U.S., which had no significant
civilian losses, sustained 292,131 battle deaths and 115,187 deaths from
other causes. The highest numbers of deaths, military and civilian, were as
follows: USSR more than 13,000,000 military and 7,000,000 civilian; China
3,500,000 and 10,000,000; Germany 3,500,000 and 3,800,000; Poland 120,000
and 5,300,000; Japan 1,700,000 and 380,000; Yugoslavia 300,000 and
1,300,000; Romania 200,000 and 465,000; France 250,000 and 360,000; British
Empire and Commonwealth 452,000 and 60,000; Italy 330,000 and 80,000;
Hungary 120,000 and 280,000; and Czechoslovakia 10,000 and 330,000."

> USA--292,100

yes, it seems my memory was off quite a bit here..

> Britain--397,762 (less than half their WWI loss)

i could've sworn i read somewhere that it was close to 10 million including
the commonwealth, but, i can't prove it so i must concede an error here as
well.

> USSR--7,500,000 (includes @ 2,000,000 POWs died in captivity)

i refuse to concede this or

> China--500,000 (undoubtedly higher but most Chinese dead were civilians)

[although i was a bit off] or

the japanese attack on china was just brutal - perhaps that book only
measured from the "traditional" beginning of the war in '39? the war in the
east actually started in '31, i believe, and perhaps that is the source of
the rather larger discrepancy. or maybe you just missed the 3 :) russia,
also, was just completely mangled in every which way for the first chunk, my
own personal belief being that 13 million military is a lower end estimate.
remember who those numbers came from and their motives - it was essential to
stalinism to keep the people under the belief that they lived in the
greatest country in the world. defeat was impossible, statistics routinely
skewed to show superiority, etc.....if [if]*stalin* said 13 million, it was
probably closer to 130.

> Germany--2,850,000

again, slightly off once you add in civilians.

> Italy--77,500
> Italy--1,506,000

why italy twice?

> I've seen somewhat different figures for many of the above.  Calculations
> can vary depending on whether or which categories of "non-combat" deaths
> (disease, death in captivity) or missing are included or excluded.

fair enough.

inri
np:

http://chat.carleton.ca/~jparent2/

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - george w. bush