-Caveat Lector-

More Information: http://www.peaceinspace.com

TRAGIC ATTACK:"SPACE-BASED WEAPONS / BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENSE IRRATIONAL,"
SAYS RENOWNED ATTORNEY DANIEL SHEEHAN.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA. - In the aftermath of the tragedies at the World Trade
Center in New York, the Pentagon in Washington, and the downed airliner near
Pittsburgh, Pa., renowned attorney Daniel Sheehan, Director and General
Counsel and Director of the Institute for Cooperation in Space, has publicly
spoken out, calling "space-based weapons, ballistic missile defense
irrational."

"Above all we should now realize that the expenditure of hundreds of billions
of dollars on the construction of an anti-ballistic missile system (the
so-called "missile shield") is clearly not a realistic or potentially
effective response to an event of this complex nature. We should be on guard
against those who would use this incident as an irrational source of support
for such an irrational program," Sheehan states.

"The expenditure of hundred of billions of dollars, or any dollars at all, on
an irrational missile shield system is most certainly not to be included in
how we respond," Daniel Sheehan concludes.

Sheehan, a Harvard Law School graduate, who is famous for an impressive body
of legal work including the Karen Silkwood case, Pentagon Papers case, Three
Mile Island, and the Iran Contra case, states, "At a point in time like this
in the lives of our human family it is essential that everyone remain calm,
that we extend our prayers and condolences to all of the families of those
killed and injured and pray for the recovery of those who are still in
danger."

Sheehan continues, "It is equally important that we refrain from resorting to
threats of physical violence against those whom we suspect may be
responsible. However, it is essential that we respond to tragic actions of
this nature by accurately and calmly assessing all of the factors which have
contributed to its occurrence and that we craft steps to be taken to prevent
incidents of this nature in the future."

"The policies of the US government and of a number of Middle Eastern nations
and the non-rational invocations of cultural values have led to this complex
tragedy," Sheehan says.

"Only a careful and rational analysis will demonstrate the degree of respect
that we must pay to those who have died today," says Sheehan.  "The period of
mourning for our dead must be characterized by a calm and responsible
analysis of what we must do to prevent a reoccurrence of such a tragedy and
what we must do to begin to untie the complex knots of policy which have led
to this tragedy."

_______
ICIS - Institute for Cooperation in Space
http://www.peaceinspace.com    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]