-Caveat Lector-

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Edward Britton wrote:
>>   A crazed Moslem fundamentalist sect
>>intent on conducting a holy war against us is no more representative of
>>the rank and file of Islam, than the Aryan Nation is representative of
>>the rank and file of the Christian faith...
>
>Neither of which you know anything about--unless, of course, you can speak
>for the rank and file of anyone, much less the two extremist organizations
>you mention.

So you admit it was an extremist organization and not your regular John
and Jane Q follower of Islam....

>>Yet Peter Jennings suggested something similar, that airlines will need
>>to start carrying armed guards on board...now THAT is a scary idea,
>
>Only to useless government junkies dependent on others for ensuring their
>security, but then life itself is scary to such persons.

I was referring to private security guards, which would probably be what
the airlines would use.  I've worked as a part-time security guard in the
past, and know from firsthand experience that rarely is training
provided; if the firm desires an armed guard, they just hire any
abled-bodied person who has a pistol permit and owns their own gun to use
on the job...

And what you have working for private security firms fall into a handful
of distinct categories:

- people like me who work part-time for whatever reason; most of this
group either have 'real' jobs and work security part-time to supplement
their income; or they're college students who find working security an
easy way to make money and do their homework at the same time; because it
is a part-time job there is no medical insurance provided, so you won't
find this group taking extraordinary measures should an 'incident' occur;
it is also unlikely that a part-time guard would be used as an armed
guard on a plane

- a second distinct group one finds working as security guards are
retirees supplementing their SSI and pensions; you might find a handful
willing to be an armed guard on a plane, but you wouldn't want them to,
trust me...at best, their reflexes are slow...if a hijacking occured on
one of their watches, they'd probably die of a heartattack immediately...

- then you have the full-time rent-a-cops, and these are a scary bunch;
these are guys who really wanted to be real cops but failed the
psychological and/or mental tests; they get off on wearing a uniform and
won't hesitate to act the 'big shot'; it's basically a case of 'you get
what you pay for', and if you want to trust your safety and welfare to
someone who got absolutely NO training (hell, they don't even need a
highschool diploma or GED), and gets paid between $8 to $11 an hour with
minimal benefits, be my guest.  But I would prefer armed guards that
needed to achieve a certain standard to even be hired, and then are
required to undergo extensive training, and are paid more than slightly
above the minimum wage...

>>  if the guards are your usual 'rent a cop' private security guard...
>
>A gun in the hands of anyone trained to use it would have prevented any one
>of these tragedies.

Again I repeat:  private security companies do NOT provide such training;
when they need an armed guard, they put an ad in the classifieds asking
for applications from people who have a pistol permit and own their own
gun.  The applicant may not have ever used the gun since getting the
permit years before, may not be able to hit the side of a barn ten paces
off, but they'll get hired to be an armed guard as long as they have
never been convicted of a felony...

Once I worked with another guard -- a full-timer -- who'd been recently
released from a mental hospital, and who hallucinated snakes under desks,
etc.

If you want to give someone like that a gun and put him on a plane and
think you'll be safe, as I said, be my guest....I'll take the train,
thank you.

>>I think a better idea would be to allow -- or even require -- that the
>>cockpit crew carry sidearms....
>
>Damn, June, that's not a bad idea. Maybe someone should have suggested that
>flight crews be armed (ROFL!)

Yep, I weigh in seconding Dennis' suggestion...

June

Check out Alternative Kite Radio at
http://www.altkiteradio.trancetechno.com

Alternative Kite Radio (low-bandwidth)
Alternative Kite Radio (high-bandwidth)
Alternative Kite Summer Beachparty Radio (it's always summer somewhere)
Alternative Kite Holiday Radio (everyday's a holiday)