-Caveat Lector-

(In the same way an airline is a cheap terrorist bomb, a nuclear reactor can
be a cheap terrorist nuclear bomb. --SW)

Date sent:              Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:02:13 +0000
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                Konformist: The Sky(scraper) Is Falling
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,

Robert Sterling
Editor, The Konformist
http://www.konformist.com
http://www.konformist.com/911/911.htm

http://www.konformist.com/911/russellhoffman.htm

The Sky(scraper) Is Falling -- Commentary by Russell D. Hoffman
Tuesday, September 11, 2001
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

September 11th, 2001

Fellow Citizens:

If I had told you, yesterday, that today two commercial airplanes, loaded with
passengers and fueled for cross-country flights, would crash into New York
City's World Trade Center, one into each of the twin tower buildings, and that
shortly thereafter both towers would come crashing to the ground, and also
told you that the Pentagon would be hit at about the same time, and another
plane would be brought down too, you would have called me "Chicken Little".

America's nuclear power plants are vulnerable.  And don't call me Chicken
Little.

A structural engineer who appeared on CNN today said that the World Trade
Center towers were designed to withstand a 707 crashing into them.  757s
and 767s are somewhat bigger than a 707 (but with two less engines).
However, the airplanes probably aren't directly responsible for bringing down
the towers.  The real culprit was most likely the fires they started.

My understanding is that the design criteria for the containment domes of
America's nuclear power plants was that they should be able to withstand the
impact of a 727, which is even smaller than a 707.

I don't know if the design criteria included that the plane would be full of fuel
as these planes obviously were.  Whatever the design criteria was, it was
never actually tested.   (Note that in a conversation by phone with me in June
2001, Charles Marschall, from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Region
IV office in Texas, claimed that a nuclear power plant's containment dome
could withstand an impact from a 747.  He refused to put his claim in writing.
But regardless, would any of us believe it today?)

It should be obvious now that we have no reason to think the nuclear
containment domes are safe from planes.  But in any event, many of the
systems vital to keeping a nuclear power plant from melting down are located
OUTSIDE the containment dome, including the control room, the primary
coolant pumps, and other systems.  There are numerous holes in the
containment dome for pipes, wire, personnel, and equipment to go through.
Accidents outside a containment dome can affect systems inside the
containment dome, and a subsequent meltdown inside the containment
dome WILL release radioactivity to the environment.

A meltdown at a nuclear power plant would be 1000 times worse than
everything we saw today.

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that a meltdown would have
occurred if one of the hijacked airplanes had been flown into a nuclear power
plant.  We can be thankful the hijackers passed over these targets.

The spent fuel pools are outside the containment dome, providing an even
easier target than the containment dome.   And, spent fuel storage casks
located near some reactors can also be potential targets, and thus add
significantly to the danger at those facilities.

In short, America's nuclear power plants are extremely vulnerable.  And don't
call me Chicken Little.

Our nation's firemen and other emergency personnel are NOT adequately
trained or equipped for handling a severe nuclear radiation emergency, and
the evacuation plans for nuclear power plants are absolute garbage.

Everyone recognizes what an incredible job the firefighters, police, and other
emergency personnel must be doing, but their task today pales when
compared to what emergency personnel would face if a nuke plant was
attacked.

All nuclear reactors need to be shut down immediately and permanently, and
their waste needs to be stored underground.  (However, I am not advocating
Yucca Mountain as a solution.)

Clean, renewable energy solutions do exist, and they are far less vulnerable
to terrorism and other calamities than our nuclear power plants, and provide
cheaper energy as well.  Perhaps quickly switching to safe renewable energy
solutions would cause some temporary hardship, but nothing is impossible
for our great nation, if we recognize our vulnerabilities and seek to eliminate
them as quickly as possible.

I for one, want to know who masterminded this wicked act of ignorance.  But
even more, I want to know why we left ourselves so vulnerable in the first
place, and why we continue to leave ourselves vulnerable to additional natural
and man-made misfortunes?  Today it was an act of man.  Tomorrow it could
be an act of Providence.  Perhaps an asteroid smashing into a nuclear
power plant.  Perhaps an Earthquake.  Perhaps a Tsunami along Southern
California's coast.  But whatever it is, we should no longer be able to say it
came as a complete a surprise.  Very little should surprise us now.

Sincerely,

Russell Hoffman Concerned Citizen Carlsbad, CA

hearing in Nevada on Yucca Mountain.  At that hearing I stated that nuclear
power plants are potential targets of terrorists.  I have attached an additional
commentary about that hearing, which was written as an Op- Ed commentary
for the North County Times (San Diego, CA).  As far as I know the NC Times
did not publish this item, but America MUST start to face these issues:

To: Editor, North County Times

September 6th, 2001

To The Editor:

The Department of Energy's Yucca Mountain Project (YMP) for permanently
storing High Level Radioactive Waste (HLRW) is unlikely to ever open.  So,
every nuclear power plant needs to get realistic about nuclear waste.  The
nuclear reactors themselves are dangerous, the spent fuel pools are
dangerous, and we have no place to safely put the waste.

Nuclear materials cannot simply be taken out of the ground, used, and then
placed back in the ground.  It's not that easy.  Before nuclear fuel is used it's
mostly uranium.  Approximately every 18 months, a third of the fuel in a
reactor is removed as "spent" fuel.  Spent fuel contains hundreds of newly-
created radioactive daughter products, including various isotopes of
plutonium, strontium, cesium, iodine, and many other elements.  These new
elements will continue to be created, and will themselves decay into other
substances, for thousands of years.

Each day in America, another 10 to 12 tons of HLRW is created (mostly
spent fuel), which must be stored away from humans and other living things
for hundreds of thousands of years.  Spent fuel is susceptible to sabotage,
earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, bad welds, cracked fuel cladding, coolant
leakage, train wrecks, and 1000 other dangers.

Most of the plans for YMP are just that -- plans. There have been very few
experiments done with real nuclear waste.  Nearly everything is still on the
drawing board.  And the YMP team have computer-drawn some very
beautiful full-color renditions of things they think will work.  But they haven't
tested very much of it.  And they keep rewriting the standards.  America's
nuclear waste storage system was originally supposed to rely on natural
barriers.  That was a design goal (or just another nuclear industry lie).  When
that wasn't possible, more and more man- made systems were added.

I've looked at the YMP information that has been made available to the
public, and there is so little real science there, that I find it incomprehensible
that anyone without a financial bias would support YMP.  YMP is the last hope
of a dying industry, which has lied to the American public for half a century.
We haven't built a new nuclear power plant in America in two decades
because nuclear power isn't really financially viable.  Without YMP to take the
waste, the nuclear industry should rightfully go bankrupt.  It was their last ditch
effort, literally.

I was in North Las Vegas, Nevada, last Wednesday, September 5th, 2001, to
attend the first of three scheduled public hearings on YMP (all in Nevada,
although nuclear waste is a national problem).  I have been to scores of
public hearings, but I've never seen anything like this one!

Nevada's Governor, Kenny Guinn, spoke first.  He opposes YMP, as do 80%
of Nevada's citizens.  Governor Guinn left to a standing ovation.  Then
Nevada's four Congresspersons (two Republicans and two Democrats) each
spoke via live video feed from Washington.  They also oppose YMP.
Senator Harry Reid (D-Nevada) often points out that the transportation issues
have not been solved, and pointed again to the recent Baltimore train tunnel
fire as a warning to the nation.  YMP is supposed to take in 77,000 tons of
HLRW. The shipments (50,000 to 100,000 are planned) will travel through at
least 40 states, passing within 20 miles of about 70% of the population.

It's ridiculous.  A million things could go wrong and the mathematical
projections are highly suspect.  The success of YMP depends on luck to an
extent no reasonable human should allow!

And Nevadans, who make a living understanding the odds better than most
Americans, aren't being fooled by the DOE.

To comprehend the vehemence that will have to be overcome for YMP to
proceed, let me describe how the mayor of Las Vegas closed his speech.
Mayor Oscar B. Goodman began to pull something out of his pocket, and as
he did so he shouted (this is from memory here, but I'm sure it's close): "They
tell me I can't arrest someone who drives a truck full of high-level radioactive
waste through my town.  The DOE says I don't have the authority.  They say I
can't put that guy in jail.  Well, just watch me.  That guy is going to jail, and
he's not getting out of MY jail.  One thing you should never do:  Never give a
former prosecuting attorney one of these."

He then flipped out his badge, and walked away to a wildly cheering crowd.
These guys are ready for a fight with the DOE, and God Bless Them.  We
should all be so brave.

YMP is a terrible solution to an intractable problem, and the DOE will stretch
out this process as long as possible.  During that time, many tons of new
HLRW will be produced.  Someone will be stuck with protecting humanity
from that waste.  It will cost a fortune, and worse -- it may not work.  Even if
the DOE permits YMP to be built and become operational, they can't
legislate away accidents or write a document that prevents a natural disaster.

It's time for every American to stop believing the lies that have supported the
nuclear industry thus far.  Yucca Mountain is only the latest lie (the first was: "it
will be too cheap to meter").  There are clean energy alternatives available.
Wind, wave, tide, solar, geothermal, hydroelectric, biomass, and many
others.  We have to change to these energy sources NOW, before another
day goes by, and another 10 to 12 tons of HLRW is created.

Sincerely,

Russell Hoffman
Carlsbad, CA

(End of Op-Ed written for the North County Times (San Diego, CA)

** THE ANIMATED SOFTWARE COMPANY
** Russell D. Hoffman, Owner and Chief Programmer
** P.O. Box 1936
** Carlsbad CA 92018-1936
** (800) 551-2726
** (760) 720-7261
** Fax: (760) 720-7394
** Visit the world's most eclectic web site:
** http://www.animatedsoftware.com
Konformist Newswire,  please visit:

http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist

Or, e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"

(Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool
catch phrase.)

Visit the Klub Konformist at Yahoo!:

Steve Wingate, Webmaster
ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES