-Caveat Lector-

Interestingly, whomever wrote the article doesn't seem to get the
connection between the two events...  :-7

June

The Connecticut Post, 9/16/01, p. A8

Hartford (AP) --

The terrorist attacks that hit home this week have gun sales up and crime
down in the state.

John Kilburn, an assistant professor of criminology and sociology at
Eastern Connecticut State University noted that crime rates went down
during World War II.

"Our aggressions are no longer on our neighbors, our partners or the guy
next to us at the bar," said Kilburn.

In Hartford, which had been coping with one of its highest homicide rates
in years, criminal activity is drastically down, said police Capt. Mark
Pawlina.

"The whole mood on the street is very subdued, even among the drug
dealers and criminal element," Pawlina said.

Windham Heights, a housing project in Windham and frequent target of a
special drug task force, had American flags hanging from the sills or
from car antennas.

"I drove around the Heights yesterday, and you could have heard a pin
drop," said police Sgt. Stephen Ostroski.

In the state's largest city, Bridgeport, Sgt. Raymond Masek said there
was "an almost eerie calm over the city."

:It's been exceptionally quiet," Masek said.  "The patriotism is
incredible, and I just think everyone is inside watching CNN.  There are
less people on the streets at night."

While the criminal element seems to be taking some time off, other people
seem to be taking their own defense initiatives and buying guns.

There have been reports of increased gun sales in parts of the state.

"People are buying guns and ammunition because they are scared," said
Scott Hoffman, owner of Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington.

Hoffman reported selling four times as many guns since the terrorist
attack on New York and the Pentagon.

Many of the people who are buying guns now are those who would not
normally buy a gun in the past, Hoffman said, such as lawyers and
doctors.

"People are worried about shortages," said Lawrence Irving, owner of
Newington Gun Exchange.  Irvine said his gun sales have doubled while his
ammunition sales have tripled.

---