<FONT COLOR="#000099">Get your FREE credit report with a FREE CreditCheck
Monitoring Service trial
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/zgSolB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

From: "Dave Champion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 6:17 PM
Subject: What powers come with "national emergency"?

All,

My friend Rickity sent me an article detailing the declaration of a national
emergency by the Pres.  Being the curious guy that I am, I decided to look
into the United States Code and see what "extraordinary authority" the Pres.
is granted by such a declaration.

While I won't bore you with code sections, statutory sources, revision
notes, advisory notes, etc., I'll give you the end result.

The National Emergency Act (by which Congress vests the Pres. with
"extraordinary authority" [that phrase is right out of the statute]) simply
amends certain sections within a series of United States Code titles.  Once
I saw the list of Titles, I didn't bother to go read the amended sections
because I realized that none of the "extraordinary authority" reaches you
and me.

Here are the Titles amended:

1)  Title 8 - Immigration and Naturalization
2)  Title 10 - Armed Forces
3)  Title 12 - Banks and Banking
4)  Title 40 - Public [federal] Buildings, Property, and Works
5)  Title 42 - Public Health and Welfare

I think without reading the amended sections, it becomes pretty clear that
the President's "extraordinary authority" doesn't extend to the day-to-day
affairs of the average American.  Without taking the time to read the
amended section, I'll hazard a guess and others can tell me if I'm off base.

The Title 8 amendments allow the President to secure the borders and round
up certain alien groups (defined by the Attorney General) who might place
the nation at risk.  The Title 10 amendments allow the President to deploy
combat troops in hostile areas [in harm's way] without prior Congressional
consultation and may obviate certain section of the War Powers Act of 1973.
The Title 12 amendments allow the President to exempt the banks from the
three-day closure rule.  The Title 40 amendments allow the President to
secure federal buildings, up to and including closure or relocation if
necessary.  And finally, the Title 42 amendments allow the President to
order to Department of Helath and Human Services to make "emergency
assistance" available to the States.

However, one of the most intersting parts of the chapter on National
Emergencies was the section 1601 entitled, "Termination of existing declared
emergencies".  It states, " All powers and authorities possessed by the
President, any other officer or employee of the Federal Government, or any
executive agency, as defined in section 105 of title 5, as a result of the
existence of any declaration of national emergency in effect on September
14, 1976, are terminated two years from September 14, 1976."

So much for the crowd that beleives that the entire nation has been living
under "national emergency" since the Civil War (or whatever event they
settle upon).

Dave