The Man Ray Table

Asia

Topic du Jour

----

News update from Risk Waters Group Ltd.

RE: Risk Waters Group's Financial Technology Congress 'Windows on the
World', 106th Floor, North Tower, World Trade Center Tuesday 11th -
Wednesday 12th September 2001

London: 13th September 2001: On the morning of Tuesday 11th September
UK-based Risk Waters Group was hosting a Financial Technology Congress at
'Windows on the World' on the 106th floor of the North Tower at the World
Trade Center in New York. The conference opened at 8.30 a.m.

To date the company has been unable to contact anyone who attended the
congress. We have 221 people on our list of registered delegates, speakers &
sponsors. In addition, 16 Risk Waters Group employees were due at the event,
making a total planned attendance of 237.

Based on advance registration lists & research conducted by the company
since the tragedy we have reason to believe that:

* 47 delegates and all 16 of our staff attended the Congress. They are
currently unaccounted for.

* 100 delegates have been confirmed by their companies as not having arrived
at the time of the tragedy and are safe. * For the remaining 74 delegates we
are still seeking further information.

As this was a New York event, the vast majority of our delegates were based
in the USA but we cannot determine their nationality. There were a few
registered delegates from the UK & Japan.

Risk Waters Group staff members attended from both our London & New York
offices. 10 are British, 5 are American and 1 is Australian.

Peter Field, Chief Executive of the Risk Waters Group said today

"We continue to make round the clock efforts to contact staff, delegates,
speakers and sponsors who were scheduled to attend this congress. In spite
of this we have heard nothing from anyone who was in 'Windows on the World'
at the time of the attack.

Given the level of uncertainty on the ground about the situation we have not
given up hope of finding our friends and colleagues safe & well. We would
again urge anyone who is either concerned, or has information about someone
who might have been attending the Congress, to contact our emergency help
line number in the UK (manned 24 hrs. a day)."

Emergency help line telephone number: 020 7484 9700 Any press enquiries
should be addressed to: Rory Brown, Marketing Director, Risk Waters Group
Ltd.
Tel: 020 7484 9765
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Editorial Board:
Editor-in-Chief:
Philippe Jorion, University of California at Irvine Associate Editors:
Giovanni Barone-Adesi, USI, Lugano, Switzerland
Jacob Boudoukh, New York University
Peter Carr, Bank of America Securities, New York
Michel Crouhy, CIBC, New York
Sanjiv Das, Harvard University
Emanuel Derman, Goldman Sachs, New York
Robert Engle, University of California at San Diego
  Helyette Geman, Universite de Paris
Lane Hughston, King's College, London
John Hull, University of Toronto
Robert Jarrow, Cornell University
Paul Kupiec, International Monetary Fund
Michael Ong, ABN Amro, Chicago
Riccardo Rebonato, NatWest Group, London
Gary Robinson, Tokai Bank Europe, London
Mark Rubinstein, University of California at Berkeley
Domingo Tavella, Align Risk Analysis, San Francisco
Robert Whaley, Duke University
Peter Zangari, Goldman Sachs, New York

The Journal of Risk is published by the Risk Waters group.

********************************

This article appears in the Sept. 21, 2001 issue of Executive Intelligence
Review:

Global Financial System: It Was Bankrupt Before Sept. 11

by Lothar Komp

Worldwide, there is a state of financial emergency. In the horrible events
in Washington and New York of Sept. 11, not only were an unknown number of
currency and derivatives traders killed, but also an important part of the
physical infrastructure of the financial system was destroyed. Computer
files and hard copies documenting numerous foreign exchange and derivatives
transactions of many financial institutions, are gone.

Innumerable derivatives contracts, for a value of many billions of dollars,
are therefore hanging in the air, because one side of the bilateral
agreement, for example in Frankfurt, does not know if the counterparty will
promptly fulfill its obligations or if it still exists. Already, the
disappearance of one big player could trigger a global chain reaction.
Rumors of the illiquidity of big hedge funds are making the rounds. The
large settlements systems of international banking concerns are showing
signs of malfunctioning. Furthermore, the central banks fear that in the
next days or weeks, a dollar panic could break out, which would mean the
sudden sell-off of American stocks, and a run on the banks.

Among the big financial companies, the hardest hit appears to be Cantor
Fitzgerald, one of the leading traders of government bonds in the world.
About 700 employees of Cantor Fitzgerald were still missing three days after
the terrorist attack. U.S. investment bank Morgan Stanley had rented more
office space in the World Trade Center than any other company. According to
Morgan Stanley, the "vast majority" of its 3,500 employees got out safely,
but several hundreds are still missing. Fuji Bank from Japan has stated that
probably 700 of its employees were killed. Many other banks had operations
in the Twin Towers and the neighboring buildings that also collapsed,
including Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers, American Express, Crédit Suisse
Group/Crédit Suisse First Boston, Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank, Charles
Schwab, Asahi Bank, Sumitomo Bank, Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank, CNA Insurance, John
Hancock, the Municipal Assistance Corp. (Big MAC), Oppenheimer Management,
Northern Trust, Citigroup's Smith Barney, and Yamaichi International
America. The New York Board of Trade, America's biggest exchange for trade
in cocoa, coffee, and sugar, was also located in one of the World Trade
Center towers.

Another imminent threat to the global financial system is posed by the
demolition of the Clearinghouse Interbank Payment System (CHIPS), the
private telecommunications system operated by the New York Clearinghouse
Association for banks in the New York area. Some of its physical
infrastructure was destroyed, so that the whole CHIPS system was non-
functional after the terror attack.

The dimensions of CHIPS is huge. Its computer system is used to settle the
payments of both domestic and international inter-bank obligations. The
biggest banks in the world, including Citibank, J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of
America, Deutsche Bank, UBS, and Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi, own and operate
CHIPS. CHIPS transfers an average total value of $1.2 trillion daily-equal
to the amount of the total daily value of payments that passes through the
entire Federal Reserve System. It clears and handles 242,000 transactions on
an average day. It handles 95% of all U.S. dollar payments moving among
countries worldwide.

Chain-Reaction Mega-Failures All of this has led to very serious worries
among central banks about a chain-reaction of mega-failures in the
international financial system. In order to prevent an immediate collapse of
the system, the leading central banks began pumping massive amounts of
liquidity into the system. In an unprecedented, coordinated action, within
the 24 hours beginning Sept. 11, they made available at least $120 billion
in liquidity for the financial markets.

The Federal Reserve announced already on Sept. 11 that it would deliver as
much liquidity to the system, as needed. The first step was to open the
money faucets, pouring $38 billion into the banking system, about ten times
the amount the Federal Reserve normally would make available. The Fed
declared, that it had also "substantially expanded" its discount window for
further emergency loans to banks.

While the Nikkei index in Japan on Sept. 12 fell to its lowest level since
December 1983, and in that one day roughly $170 billion in paper went up in
smoke, the Bank of Japan poured 2 trillion yen ($17 billion) into the system
. The central banks of South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, and New
Zealand, as well as the currency authorities in Hong Kong, made known that
they were ready to act in a similar manner at any time.

The European Central Bank (ECB) also displayed unusual generosity, making
available $63 billion in short-term credits for the banking sector. The
Swiss National Bank said that it would also provide additional liquidity,
should this be necessary.

Furthermore, on Sept. 13, the Federal Reserve and the ECB sealed a bilateral
currency-swap agreement in the range of $50 billion. According to the
Federal Reserve, the main purpose of the measure is to secure the urgent
liquidity needs of European banks operating in America. In summary, leading
central banks are preparing for mega-catastrophes in the financial sector,
erupting in the next few days.

"The real danger lies in the matter of derivatives settlements and
counterparties," one London financial source told EIR on Sept. 13. "If
settlement problems snowball, this could bring down the whole financial
system. The danger is not negligible. That is why you see the central
bankers pouring in the liquidity now, to head this off. That is why the U.S.
Treasury bond market was opened today. The options are maturing today, and
if they had left this alone, that could have led to dangers that would have
toppled the whole system."

According to this source, "There will be a problem, if the central bankers
are not very careful in how they manage this liquidity pumping that they are
doing to avoid a seizing up. The danger would be like what happened ahead of
Y2K, when the liquidity pumped in, created a giant bubble in the months to
come, and put an end to the bull market in equities. There are dangers in
creating a bigger bubble now. And, of course, there is the danger of
hyperinflation."

Governments and central banks of coure were desperately trying to play down
the threat of a systemic breakdown crisis. Meanwhile numerous
representatives of banks, economic research institutes, and media suddenly
discovered the threat of a "world recession." In particular, as their
argument ran, the collapse of the stock markets, would shatter the
confidence of the American consumers, the last bastion of the U.S. economy,
and with this, a worldwide economic collapse would ensue.

Collapse In Confidence Was Already Under Way

This thesis is completely misleading in a very important point: The collapse
of American consumer confidence and its consequences for the U.S. and world
economy, was already in process and would have continued, even without the
terror attacks against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. In fact, as
a result of the giant economic and financial imbalances, not the least in
the United States, the greatest worldwide financial and economic catastrophe
in at least a century had already started quite a while ago. This
disintegration process-which cannot be stopped unless radical emergency
recovery measures, as proposed by U.S. Democratic Presidential pre-candidate
Lyndon LaRouche, are implemented-was only further accelerated through the
recent dramatic developments.

For example, University of Michigan's preliminary index of U.S. consumer
sentiment, based on a survey that was finished before Sept. 11, dropped
sharply from 91.5 in August to 83.6 in September, the lowest level since
March 1993. The preliminary index of future expectations among consumers
plunged from 85.2 to 77.2 points. The U.S. Labor Department reported that
the number of new claims for unemployment benefits rose to 431,000 in the
week ending Sept. 8, the highest level since July. The total number of
Americans receiving unemployment benefits in the week ending Sept. 1 rose to
3.35 million, the highest since August 1992. U.S. industrial production fell
in August for the 11th consecutive month. Production at factories, mines,
and utilities dropped by 0.8% during August, much more than in the previous
month (0.1%), and much bigger than economists had forecasted. The string of
monthly declines is the longest in 41 years (since February to December
1960). The capacity utilization fell to 76.2% in August, the lowest since
July 1983.

Also, the crash on stock markets is not a phenomenon exclusive to the post-
Sept. 11 world. In the first 12 months after the first quarter 2000, the
market capitalization of stocks held by American private households and
corporations, has fallen from $20.15 trillion to $14.88 trillion. The loss
in value of $5.27 trillion, or 26.2%, corresponds to more than half the
American Gross Domestic Product. But in the second and third quarters, the
situation worsened. In the last week of August 2001, there was the biggest
market collapse in American stocks since the markets began to fall in March
2000. And then, the first week of September turned out even worse. All
together, the Dow Jones fell 800 points from Aug. 20 to Sept. 10. On the
European markets, too, the month of August 2001 ranked among the worst since
the financial storms of Summer-Fall 1998. Some big European firms, including
Deutsche Telekom and Bayer AG, experienced the biggest monthly market fall
in their history. However, while the German DAX index needed the whole month
of August to fall 700 points, it managed to achieve the same amount of
collapse in just the first two weeks in September.

Printer-Friendly
 Version

 EMail this Article
 to a Friend.

----

Gold and the Dollar, Post-Disaster

Overview

It is impossible to put aside the traumatic events of last week, but our
responsibility is to provide objective analysis of the financial markets and
that is what we will try to do. In today's commentary we are going to step
back and update our views on the currency and gold markets.

In summary, we don't think that last week's senseless devastation will
change the direction of the markets beyond the very short-term. We do,
however, expect that trends that were already in place will be accelerated
and new trends that were set to begin in the near future will be magnified.
For example, the Dollar was already trending lower and gold was trending
higher prior to 'the event'. Regardless of what happens over the next 1-2
weeks as governments and central banks intervene in the markets in one form
or another in an attempt to create the illusion of stability, the eventual
drop in the Dollar and the rise in the gold price are now expected to be
greater than would have otherwise occurred. Also, it is probable that the
coming stock market rally will now be of greater magnitude and duration than
we had previously expected.

As an aside, when the US stock market re-opens on Monday our belief is that
each investor/trader should do what they think is right based purely on
financial considerations. This is what the 'big money players' will be
doing. Some commentators have implored retail investors to be patriotic and
not to sell on the basis that panic selling would hand the terrorists
another victory. However, being patriotic and being bearish on the stock
market (and acting on that view) are two totally unrelated things, even in
the wake of such a disaster. If the selling or short-selling of US stocks is
now unpatriotic, then so is the buying of gold or any other actions taken by
Americans to protect themselves from the likely depreciation of their
over-valued, government-manipulated, debt-based dollars. We don't think it
makes sense to sell into any panic that might occur over the next few days
(actually, we don't think a major panic will occur), but the decisions of
each individual investor/trader should be based on financial considerations
only. If the right thing to do is to sell, then calls for the retail
investor to sit tight will just help the 'big money players' distribute
their stock at a higher price.

The Dollar

We expect to see a rebound in the Dollar if, as anticipated, the US stock
market does not plunge after trading re-starts on Monday. However, we think
that any strength in the Dollar will be fleeting (lasting anything from a
few days to 2 weeks). Here's why.

One of the US economy's major weaknesses has been the reliance on investment
capital in-flows to offset current account out-flows. In order for the
foreign exchange value of the Dollar to hold its ground it was necessary
that the US not only attract foreign investment, but attract it at the rate
of more than $1B per day. However, the recent disaster is going to increase
the perceived risk of investing in the US at a time when the potential
rewards will be seen to have diminished. For example, both economic growth
and short-term interest rates will be lower for at least the next 2 quarters
than would otherwise have been the case. (Take no notice of any statements
to the effect that this disaster will somehow provide a boost to economic
growth. Re-building something that has been demolished cannot possibly cause
real economic growth.)

Going into last week we were expecting some near-term firmness, or at least
stability, in the Dollar prior to a resumption of its decline. Tuesday's
events clearly altered the pattern and we now expect a Dollar rebound over
the coming week or so. As mentioned above, any strength will most likely be
short-lived as the events of last week will have the effect of accentuating
the downtrend that was already in force.

Gold and Gold Stocks

Below is a long-term chart of the gold price. The chart data has not been
updated since Sep-10 and the chart therefore does not show the upside
breakout above the 5-year downtrend that occurred last week.

We were expecting a gold price rally to begin during the second half of this
month and that a break of the downtrend would lead to a quick-fire move to
resistance in the 315-325 range. However, as is the case with the Dollar the
events of last week have changed the expected pattern. If the Dollar
strengthens over the coming week as we expect then the gold price is likely
to consolidate its recent gains, but any counter-trend reaction will
probably be short-lived. We strongly believe that the events of last week
will increase the investment demand for gold.

The consensus view seems to be that the gold price will quickly fall back to
its pre-crisis levels and stay there. This view ignores the fact that
gold-related investments have been trending higher since November of last
year and that, prior to the events of last week, the evidence pointed
towards a continuation of that trend. Even if we assume that there will be
no additional crisis-related buying of gold, it is almost assured that the
yield spread will continue to widen and real (inflation-adjusted) short-term
interest rates will continue to fall as the Fed pushes rates lower and
forces liquidity into the system. It is difficult to imagine a more bullish
environment for gold and gold stocks. As such, any near-term weakness in the
prices of gold and gold stocks should be used to add to positions.

Amongst other things, gold is a hedge against the loss of confidence that
occurs as a result of inflation. Prior to last week's events we had assessed
the probability of the US experiencing deflation at any time during the next
12 months to be so close to zero as to not be worth considering and that the
probability of Dollar depreciation due to inflation was very high. The
probability of deflation is now even lower (if that is possible).

Many people automatically associate falling asset prices with deflation, but
such thinking is flawed. The linking of falling asset prices and deflation
caused many analysts to conclude, during the Asian financial crisis of
1997-1998, that the "tiger" economies of South-East Asia were experiencing
deflation. This was a complete misread of the situation. The countries
involved in the crisis, with the exception of Hong Kong, experienced rampant
inflation during this period (their money supplies were expanding at a rapid
pace). The effects of this inflation were not evident in the prices of
assets, but they were evident in the prices of gold and other commodities in
local currency terms. The prices of assets are determined by the investment
demand for those assets and a change in the money stock is only one of the
influences on that investment demand.

An inflation policy was pursued throughout South-East Asia despite the fact
that a lot of the region's debts were denominated in US Dollars. Inflation,
in this case, was therefore unable to provide even temporary relief since it
acted to increase the debt burden (as the local currencies depreciated the
US Dollar-denominated debts presented an even bigger problem). The US of
today, however, has the advantage that its debts are denominated in a
currency that can be manufactured by its banking system. As such, inflation
might provide temporary relief. At least, that is probably what those
responsible for framing monetary policy will think.

Regular financial market forecasts and
analyses are provided at our web site:
http://www.speculative-investor.com/new/index.html
One-month free trial available.