The Home page for this group is:http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/
Hasta,
Ham

In a message dated 9/21/01 7:59:26 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

National Security Archive Update, September 21, 2001

*The September 11th Source Books, Volume I: Terrorism and U.S. Policy*

http://www.nsarchive.org/NSAEBB/sept11/

Washington, D.C., September 21 – The horrific September 11th terrorist attacks
on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon brought all of us here at the
Archive feelings of rage at the hijackers, grief for the thousands who were
murdered, and also determination that we will contribute to finding the best
ways for America to respond.  The Archive’s mission is to put on the record
the primary source documentation that can enrich the policy debate, improve
journalism, educate policymakers, and ensure that we don’t reinvent the wheel
or repeat the mistakes of the past.

To these ends, we begin today by publishing the first volume in a series
called The September 11th Sourcebooks.  We have cast a wide net, because the
policy debate itself is also ranging widely, from deployment options abroad to
wiretap surveillance at home.  This first volume contains the documents that
our staff experts, led by Dr. Jeffrey Richelson and coordinated by Michael
Evans, have selected as the most important primary sources on U.S. terrorism
policy.  These materials include CIA biographic sketches of Usama Bin Ladin
and Taliban leader Mohammad Omar, reports from the Pentagon and the Senate
Intelligence Committee on previous terrorist attacks on the USS Cole and the
Khobar Towers, the State Department’s overview of global terrorism and the
FBI’s review of terrorism in the U.S.  We have included several of the most
relevant Congressional Research Service briefs, six of the General Accounting
Office’s most recent reports on combating terrorism, plus the key policy
directives on terrorism from the Pentagon and from Presidents Reagan and
Clinton.

In coming days, we plan to publish a volume of documents from both Soviet and
U.S. files on the lessons of the last war in Afghanistan, and other volumes on
specific topics in the current policy debate, such as the U.S. ban on
assassinations and the CIA guidelines on recruiting assets.  We welcome your
ideas, queries and suggestions for other topics and other documents.  How will
we make the United States – and the world – both secure and free?

The documents are available at the following URL:

http://www.nsarchive.org/NSAEBB/sept11/

National Security Archive Update, September 21, 2001

[...]

THE NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVE is an independent non-governmental research
institute and library located at The George Washington University in
Washington, D.C. The Archive collects and publishes declassified documents
acquired through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). A tax-exempt public
charity, the Archive receives no U.S. government funding; its budget is
supported by publication royalties and donations from foundations and
individuals.
PRIVACY NOTICE
The National Security Archive does not and will never share the names or
e-mail addresses of its subscribers with any other organization. Once a year,
we will write you and ask for your financial support. We may also ask you for
your ideas for Freedom of Information requests, documentation projects, or
other issues that the Archive should take on. We would welcome your input, and
any information you care to share with us about your special interests. But we
do not sell or rent any information about subscribers to any other party.