-Caveat Lector-

@
http://www.rockfordinstitute.org/News/NewsTF092201.htm

}}}>Begin
September 22, 2001
THE AMERICAN JIHAD
by Thomas Fleming
These are dark days for America.  The darkness is so thick and so
deep that it blinds our reason
and clouds our soul.  In our fear we
applaud the President’s maudlin and adolescent speech as a
masterpiece of presidential rhetoric, and in our frustration we are
willing to strike out at
any imagined enemy.  The President, quite naturally, has to balance
our alliance with Israel against the
geopolitical reality of hundreds of millions of Muslims who control
much of the
oil resources on which his family’s fortunes are based.  But this
balancing act should not require
him to repeat the lie that Islam is a religion of peace.  That is an
insult to Muslims.  Islam is a religion of war, especially of
war against Christians, and if Americans do not tumble to that fact,
there is
no possible way of defending ourselves.
Over and over, American journalists of every stripe are
saying this struggle has nothing to do with religion.  Ann Coulter is
an exception. To punish the terrorists, she says, “We should invade
their countries,
kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity,” adding, “We
weren’t
punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top
officers.  We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed
civilians.”  Like the President, Miss Coulter cannot distinguish between Christianity
and the religion of Islam,
which not only sanctions but blesses terrorism.
The leftist media watchdogs at
FAIR, in
reporting on statements made by this bloodthirsty little lady and macho men like
Rich Lowry and Bill O’Reilly (who wants to “blast them” all, “doesn’t make any
difference” who gets in the way), observe that for many media pundits bent on
retaliation it does “not matter who bears the brunt of an American attack.”  Some
people, at least, have not lost their
humanity.
In our lust for blood, perhaps we might pause a moment and
reflect.  What is the difference between
the terrorists and us?  They obviously
think our policy in the Middle East in wrong, and our government (supported by
a majority of the American people) think it is right.  Is that the only difference?
Obviously not.  Because they are
Muslims, they think it is right to kill innocent people in order to bring the
war home to the enemy.  We, those of us
who call ourselves Christians, know that it is never right to do evil that good
may come of it.  The carpet bombing of
Dresden was, on Christian terms, evil, and it was an evil unmitigated even by
success.  The intent was to alienate the
Germans from their government, but the result was to convince many Germans that
the allies were savages who would kill all of them if they won the war.  Even Germans
who hated the Nazis rallied to
the defense of the fatherland.
In Afghanistan and Pakistan and Iraq, there are many people
who hate their governments’ policies, but they are to be slaughtered, along
with the people who pay and train terrorists. None of those countries has anything
resembling democratic institutions.  We, however, have free elections, which make
us theoretically responsible for the decisions made by our legislators and
presidents.  From the Coulter
perspective, it is far easier to justify the attack on the World Trade Center
than a war against Afghan civilians.
If there really is no difference between the God who sent
his son that we might have life and the Allah that justified robbery, rape, and
murder, so long as the victims were infidels who stood in the way of the
Prophet’s mission, then the Coulters and O’Reillys are right: Let us kill them
all, take no prisoners, wade in the blood of women and children all the way to
Baghdad.  Hey, we’re USA, the greatest,
the world’s only superpower.  Of course
we can’t risk the lives of our brave fighting men and fighting girls, and if
the dirty little savages fight back, then we should consider the nuclear
option--a few clean little tactical bombs inserted surgically into the heart of
Kabul and Baghdad ought to teach them a lesson.
In time of war, we all lose our sense temporarily, and we
are all tempted to defend the atrocities committed by our side.  But such excuses are
usually offered after
the fact.  What Ann Coulter, O’Reilly,
young Rich Lowry, and old Bill Buckley are doing is to provide the moral
justification for terrorism and murder in advance, before a single shot has
been fired or a single civilian killed. They already, by intention, have innocent
blood on their hands.
Whether we like to admit it or not, we are caught up in a
religious war.  To be fair, the Muslims
did not start it.  We did--or rather our
government did, though Miss Coulter would not allow such a distinction.  But the genii
is out of the bottle, and no
Minister of the Interior (the proper name for the President’s new agency to
suppress our civil liberties) and no trillions of dollars spent on the military
can stick the genii back in and cork the bottle.  We could expel all the Jews from the
Middle East and wipe out all
evidence of their settlements; we could condemn to wander the earth forever,
homeless and friendless, like the wandering Jew of legend, and they still would
not call off the Jihad.
If the politicians had even half a brain among them all,
they would begin an orderly process of deporting non-citizens who come from
countries that applaud Islamic terrorism, but we should neither encourage nor tolerate
hooligan acts against Muslims, Hindus, and Christians from the Middle
East.  That much of the President’s
statements is worthy of respect.  At the
same time, we Christians must preserve our respect for human life, even the
life of those who hate us.  If there is
to be a war, so be it, but a war between soldiers.  If the United
States follows the advice of the conservative
pundits and deliberately makes war on Afghan and Iraqi civilians, we
forfeit
any claim to be considered part of Christendom and we proclaim
ourselves the enemy of all civilization.
Copyright 2001, www.ChroniclesMagazine.org
928 N. Main St., Rockford, IL 61103
BACK TO CHRONICLES EXTRA!

End<{{{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway