-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Surrender sovereignty? Never!

© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

An op-ed in Monday's, September 24, 2001, New York Times, says that "clinging
to American sovereignty isn't just wrong. It's impossible."

Robert Wright, author of the piece, is dead wrong.

Wright asks: "Would you rather that your office building face a remote risk
of being searched by international inspectors, or the risk of being blown
up?"

Neither is acceptable to Americans.

Wright contends that a U.N. inspection regime, such as that established by
the Convention on Chemical Weapons, would prevent terrorist attacks because
the U.N. would have the authority to "inspect" the buildings in all countries
(including the U.S.), where such chemicals are manufactured.

The U.S. rejected this treaty, much to Wright's chagrin.

Wright is not only wrong, his reasoning is wrong-headed.

Item: The U.N. "inspected" Iraq's weapons-of-mass-destruction capacity. Mr.
Wright may be willing to accept the result, but the rest of the world has no
assurance that Saddam has complied with the no-production agreement he made
to conclude the Gulf War.

Item: Any U.N. inspection team is quite likely to consist of people who are
either sympathetic to, or members of the terrorist networks that target the
U.S.

Item: There is no constitutional authority for our federal government to
submit to any foreign or international regime. Acquiescence to Wright's
reasoning would be unconstitutional, at best, and at worst, treasonous.
His suggestion that submission to U.N. authority might somehow prevent
terrorist attacks is ludicrous. It would enhance the possibility of attacks,
by giving the U.N. the authority to provide unrestricted access to the United
States for international operatives – whether or not they meet the U.S.
requirements for entry. Never!

Finally, Wright says "... the question isn't whether to surrender national
sovereignty. The question is how – carefully and systematically, or
chaotically and catastrophically?"

The events on September 11 were not a surrender of national sovereignty, they
were an attack upon it. Wright would have us relinquish our right to defend
our sovereignty by giving the U.N. the responsibility to defend our country.
Never!

The United States has the right, the responsibility and the power to defend
our sovereignty, and our citizens. It must do so. There is nothing that the
U.N. can do, that the United States cannot do better. We have no
responsibility to even consult the U.N. Article 51 clearly recognizes our
right to take "individual or collective self-defense" action. By ratifying
the U.N. Charter, we agreed only to report the measures we take. Our nation
was attacked and we must respond.

Our response must be an American response – not a U.N. response. The Bush
administration is correct in asking all nations to step up and declare
whether they are with us, or against us. Those nations that choose to
continue to support terrorism must be considered as "hostile" nations.

The United States does not need the U.N., despite Mr. Wright's suggestion to
the contrary. The U.N. is an obstacle to the United States' efforts to
advance the principles of freedom. The U.N. has no interest in advancing
freedom or free markets – their interest is in advancing U.N. power and
control.

It is telling that two weeks after the horrendous attacks on New York and
Washington, there has been no public condemnation of the terrorists by the
U.N. Earlier this month, meeting in Durban, South Africa, the U.N. Commission
on Human Rights – led by many of the same nations that harbor terrorists –
promoted a resolution condemning Israel. These are the people to whom Mr.
Wright would have the U.S. relinquish its sovereignty.

All the opinion polls since the September 11 events suggest that Americans
cherish their sovereignty, and want an American response. Americans
overwhelmingly support the response so far, as outlined by the Bush
administration. Perhaps this American response will reveal the bias, and
impotence of the U.N., and cause the American people to seriously question
the wisdom of our continued support of this top-heavy, over-reaching,
global-governance octopus.

Mr. Wright is not alone in his desire to see the U.S. submit to the global
governance of the United Nations. The U.N. Association boasts hundreds of
thousands of members who are continually bombarded with Wright-like
propaganda. Thousands of non-government organizations – accredited by the
United Nations – are provided extensive funding through grants, especially
for "education" and "building public awareness" – both of which are
euphemisms for U.N. propaganda.

The United States could have a far more positive impact on the world if it
were not entangled in this pot of political stew called the United Nations.
We're spending billions of dollars every year on this system of international
organizations, many of which share the "hate America and Israel" view
revealed by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights in Durban.

Without the United States, the U.N. would wither – as did the League of
Nations – and the U.S. could use its resources to promote the principles of
freedom and free trade, without all the encumbrances imposed by the U.N.
bureaucracy.

Mr. Wright's suggestion that the U.S. must surrender its sovereignty is as
out of place as Alger Hiss in the U.S. State Department. Surrender our
national sovereignty to the U.N.? Never!