To:                     InfoWars Newsgroup
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From:                   GaryC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date sent:              Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject:                [infowars] Founder of Pink Pistols gun
group becomes a Libertarian Party member

Founder of Pink Pistols gun group becomes a Libertarian Party
member

David Rostcheck practices his aim at a local firing range. He joined
the LP in
August, saying only Libertarians "stand firmly against" the erosion
of Constitutional
rights.

[September 24] A founding member of the Pink Pistols -- a gun-
owners organization
composed mostly of "sexual minority community" members -- has
defected from the Green
Party and joined the Libertarian Party.

David Rostcheck, who became a member on August 22, said he
joined because the LP is
the only political party opposed to the "illegal expansion of
government power."

"No party that cannot name and oppose the erosion of
Constitutional law will ever be
able to stop this erosion," he said. "Only the Libertarians have the
courage and
clarity to name the enemy and stand firmly against it."

Rostcheck had helped launch the Pink Pistols in September 2000.
The organization,
which views the Second Amendment as crucial to the freedom of
minority citizens, now
has 27 chapters nationwide.

Each chapter meets at least once per month at local firing ranges
to practice
shooting. Pink Pistols officers offer to help members select a
firearm, acquire a
permit, and receive proper training.

At about the time the Pink Pistols started, Rostcheck joined the
Green Party,
motivated, he said, by an interest in "social justice" and an affinity
for its 2000
presidential candidate Ralph Nader.

But the 31-year-old software engineer said he soon discovered that
so-called
"progressive" leaders lacked the social tolerance they claimed to
support, often
denouncing gun-owners as "right-wing wackos" and "gun nuts."

"When I saw [Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender]
organizations vote to endorse a
lesbian candidate who openly and proudly wrote discrimination into
gun laws to
oppress people she did not like, I realized that I could no longer
align myself with
a movement that brazenly scorns the principles it publicly aspires
to," he said.

Although disturbed by this hostility to the Second Amendment,
Rostcheck said the
transition from the Green Party to the LP wasn't an easy one.

For years he "resisted [LP] arguments with skepticism and vigor,"
often debating
politics with fellow Pink Pistols founder and LP member Doug Krick,
he said.

But as he tried to reform state gun laws and influence public
opinion on gun control
during the past year, Rostcheck said he found himself in greater
and greater
agreement with the Libertarian perspective.

"I have been won over not by the persuasive arguments of a great
orator, but by the
slow piling up of an undeniable weight of evidence showing a
concrete and
demonstrable pattern of illegal expansion of government power,"
he said.

Rostcheck acknowledged he still believes there are some problems
where government can
be effective, such as "combating plagues" or providing for mentally
ill citizens.

However, he added that since he became an LP member, several
Libertarian friends have
been able point out workable private-sector solutions to problems
he had previously
thought unsolvable without government action.

"A year ago I would have claimed that maintaining the roads was a
government
responsibility," he said. "But studying history, especially that before
the past
century, has given me a lot to re-examine -- for example, no
government built the
railroad tracks, yet they got built."

Although Rostcheck said his political opinions will continue to
evolve with time and
study, he said he also knows one thing for sure: He will never go
back to the
"progressive" movement he had once called his home.

"I will never again sit through another workshop on diversity taught
by a bigot or
listen to another speech on 'equal justice' given by a hypocrite," he
said. "I will
never send another check to a 'diversity-based' organization that
then sends it out
to a bigot. I refuse to be a party to this fraud.

"To restore principled government, we must use principled politics.
I now believe
that the only party that can effectively restore the protection of our
rights is the
Libertarian Party."

Although membership is predominantly gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
transgender, the
Pink Pistols welcome members from all backgrounds. Sign up for
its mailing list at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best wishes

The right of bearing arms for a lawful purpose is not a right granted
by
the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that
instrument for its existence. -U.S. vs Cruikshan