This came to me through friends.  Thought it worth forwarding to
as many people as possible. --Sharon Alexander

Afghanistan is not the Enemy

Barnett R. Rubin

Barnett R. Rubin, Director of Studies at the Center on International
Cooperation, New York University, is the author of several books
and many articles on Afghanistan.  He last visited that country in
1998.

New York, September 16 -- Today an Afghan humanitarian worker wrote
me by e-mail:  It is a shame that we the Afghans do not have a
voice to join the world in expressing sorrow for what happened in
New York and Washington.  We are deeply sorry and disturbed for
ruthless criminal act of terror against the innocent people there.

We deeply understand and feel the pain of the people over there
since we have been facing these situations in our everyday lives
since more than two decades.  These mad unwanted guests and their
ruling hosts exercised massacres, burning and destroying the huts
and mud houses in villages here around the country for years before
they tried their evil action in New York and Washington. Let me
tell you a word a widow told my colleagues in a village in western
province of Farah while receiving a food package for her children
yesterday.  She said, "I am very ashamed to receive assistance from
the people who are attacked by cruel people staying in our country
(Afghanistan), and I am unable to do anything about it.  The only
thing I am doing is I ask God five times a day during prayers to
destroy these cruel people for ever."

As the US plans to attack both Usama Bin Ladin and the Taliban
regime that shelters him, our leaders must recognize that the people
of Afghanistan are not our enemy.  A successful operation would
help Afghans re-establish legitimate government and reconstruct
their devastated country.

We don't need to destroy Afghanistan.  As my Afghan correspondent
wrote, the Soviets, the extremists we armed, and the Taliban with
their Pakistani backers have already taken care of that.  About a
third of the capital, Kabul, is as thoroughly leveled as the World
Trade Center.  A lot more people died there, too, though not in a
single dramatic atrocity.  Ordinary people have already suffered
for years from the grief, pain, horror, and anger that are now the
lot of Americans and especially my fellow New Yorkers.  Adding to
that suffering will create nothing but more terrorists.

The US and its allies can work with two main focal points of Afghan
politics:  the United Front led by Ahmad Shah Massoud until his
recent assassination by Bin Ladin's terrorists, and the group
working with the exiled former Afghan King, Zaher Shah, in Rome,
to convene a Loya Jirga (Great Council of the Afghan nation).

Together these groups combine important leaders of all ethnic
groups.  They are working on a plan for Afghanistan's political
future.  Some might be able to raise troops, including from among
Taliban ranks, if they receive adequate support and access to
Afghanistan from Pakistan.  Other groups in Afghanistan are also
ready to fight, as long as they are assured that Pakistan will not
intervene to defend the Taliban. Such Afghan troops fighting a
Taliban regime perhaps weakened by air strikes and border closures,
would be far more effective than any long-term foreign occupation,
which has always spelled disaster for the occupiers.

In the past Pakistan has restricted activities by Taliban opponents.

As part of the demands we make upon Pakistan in this crisis, we
should also insist on full freedom of action and security for Afghan
leaders who are capable of establishing a legitimate Afghan national
government. These leaders in turn should acknowledge legitimate
Pakistani concerns by, for instance, offering to grant full
recognition to the long-disputed border between the two countries.

The US should also accede to Pakistani requests for economic aid
and debt relief.

The US and the entire world community, especially the wealthier
nations, can facilitate this process and sustain the outcome by
starting now to plan for the reconstruction of devastated Afghanistan,
once it is ruled by a legitimate Afghan authority, perhaps with
the assistance of the United Nations.  Such a plan will enable a
new government to secure the country and gain the cooperation of
local communities in assuring that terrorists are eliminated.  It
will help provide alternative livelihoods for those who know nothing
but violence as a way of life and give the lie to those who claim
this effort is motivated by hostility toward Muslims.

This effort will take time, but the President has said that he
intends to win this war, not engage in halfway measures.  Only
Afghan leaders with knowledge of the country and the support of
the people will be able to secure that mountainous land in our
common interest.  Those who have invaded Afghanistan without respect
for its inhabitants have met ignominious ends.

Usama Bin Ladin and his allies hope they can draw the US into the
trap that devoured the USSR.  If we lash out without a political
plan for the future, they could succeed.  But we can frustrate
their hopes if we recognize that the people of Afghanistan can be
our firmest allies in this fight.

Barnett R. Rubin

Director of Studies and Senior Fellow

Center on International Cooperation

New York University

418 Lafayette Street, Suite 543

New York, NY 10003

Work:   212-998-3680

Fax:    212-995-4706

E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Barnett R. Rubin

Director of Studies and Senior Fellow

Center on International Cooperation

New York University

418 Lafayette Street, Suite 543

New York, NY 10003

Work:   212-998-3680

Fax:    212-995-4706

E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Jordan, Egypt condemn Israeli "terrorism"

   SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt, Sept 18 (AFP) -

   King Abdullah II of Jordan and President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt
   on Tuesday accused Israel of exploiting anti-US attacks to use
   terror against Palestinians, Mubarak's spokesman said.

   Mubarak and Abdullah discussed the impact of the US attacks on
   the world and Middle East as well as "Israel's exploitation of
   these acts to commit illegal and terrorist acts," Information
   Minister Safwat al-Sherif said.

   Egypt's state-run MENA news agency said King Abdullah headed back
   to Jordan after holding face-to-face talks with Mubarak as well
   as meetings including aides and ministers in the Egyptian Red Sea
   resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

   Talks focused on regional and international developments after
   the September 11 suicide plane attacks on targets in New York and
   Washington as well as efforts to restore calm in the Middle East,
   Jordanian officials said.

   Abdullah received a telephone call Monday from Mubarak, during
   which the two leaders exchanged views on the latest developments
   and the situation in the Palestinian territories, officials said.

   "They stressed the importance of pursuing their consultations and
   to coordinate positions as well on the situation in the
   Palestinian territories," one official said.

   Also on Monday Abdullah telephoned Palestinian leader Palestinian
   leader Yasser Arafat for similar discussions.

   Mubarak has been calling repeatedly for an international
   conference against terrorism, saying US plans to forge a
   coalition and launch an attack against countries suspected of
   harboring terrorists threaten to divide the world.

   The Jordanian monarch has said the attacks in the United States
   would not have happened if Washington had resolved the problems
   in the Middle East, especially the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

   Jordan and Egypt are Washington's closest Arab allies and the
   only two Arab countries to have signed peace treaties with
   Israel, in 1994 and 1979 respectively.

   King Abdullah was joined in the talks by Prime Minister Ali Abu
   Ragheb and Jordanian Foreign Minister Abdel Ilah Khatib, and the
   head of the royal cabinet Fayez al-Tarawneh, officials said.

   Mubarak was joined by Prime Minister Atef Ebeid, Defense Minister
   Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed
   Maher and the head of Mubarak's office, Zakariya Azmi, officials
   said.

   Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, meanwhile, is due in Sharm
   el-Sheikh on Wednesday, a source close to Mubarak said.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's another one supposed to be from an engineer/demolition
expert.

Again, I don't know, but I am looking into this. It's too important
to ignore.

September 11, 2001

Explosives Planted In Towers, N.M. Tech Expert Says

By Olivier Uyttebrouck Journal Staff Writer Televised images of
the attacks on the World Trade Center suggest that explosives
devices caused the collapse of both towers, a New Mexico Tech
explosion expert said Tuesday.

The collapse of the buildings appears "too methodical" to be a
chance result of airplanes colliding with the structures, said Van
Romero, vice president for research at New Mexico Institute of
Mining and Technology.

"My opinion is, based on the videotapes, that after the airplanes
hit the World Trade Center there were some explosive devices inside
the buildings that caused the towers to collapse," Romero said.

Romero is a former director of the Energetic Materials Research
and Testing Center at Tech, which studies explosive materials and
the effects of explosions on buildings, aircraft and other structures.

Romero said he based his opinion on video aired on national television
broadcasts.

Romero said the collapse of the structures resembled those of
controlled implosions used to demolish old structures.

"It would be difficult for something from the plane to trigger an
event like that," Romero said in a phone interview from Washington,
D.C.

Romero said he and another Tech administrator were on a Washington-area
subway when an airplane struck the Pentagon.

He said he and Denny Peterson, vice president for administration
and finance, were en route to an office building near the Pentagon
to discuss defense-funded research programs at Tech.

If explosions did cause the towers to collapse, the detonations
could have been caused by a small amount of explosive, he said.

"It could have been a relatively small amount of explosives placed
in strategic points," Romero said. The explosives likely would have
been put in more than two points in each of the towers, he said.

The detonation of bombs within the towers is consistent with a
common terrorist strategy, Romero said.

"One of the things terrorist events are noted for is a diversionary
attack and secondary device," Romero said.

Attackers detonate an initial, diversionary explosion that attracts
emergency personnel to the scene, then detonate a second explosion,
he said.

Romero said that if his scenario is correct, the diversionary attack
would have been the collision of the planes into the towers.

Tech President Dan Lopez said Tuesday that Tech had not been asked
to take part in the investigation into the attacks. Tech often
assists in forensic investigations into terrorist attacks, often
by setting off similar explosions and studying the effects.

Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 6:23 AM To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [iac-disc.] More on Israeli
conspiracy hoax

I am glad to see that some people went to work to try to find out
the source of this info.  We need more truth, not less, seems to
me.

Mary Elynne Tappero http://www.endiraqsanctions.org ~~~~~~~~ Subj:
Re: Fwd: [BarrysList] I think it's a hoax Date:   01-09-19 03:29:41
EDT From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bert Sacks) To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dick
Blakney)

Thanks for your good detective work.  I've just sent on my efforts
(bcc) regarding the 4000 Israelis alleged to have been warned about
the attack and who therefor never went to work that morning at the
WTC.

If you know more, let us know.  In the meantime, I'm tired and
angry at spending time tracking all of this down.  I feel no
different than when I look at US State Dept stuff and see "organized
lying" in Hans' phrase.

If you want the US federal definition of terrorism, take a look at
the op-ed by Kate Pflaumer, former US federal attorney for 7 years
here.

Her piece quotes the federal statute in relation to our policy on
Iraq!

It's near the top of our site, at www.endiraqsanctions.org.

Best, Bert

[BarrysList] I think it's a hoax From: "basd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:10:11 -0700 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think the article accusing the Mossad is a hoax.  From my own
"two cents" contribution, you can tell I would be inclined to
believe it.

I will write Media Monitors Network and see if they claim it.

We may not be able to trust the news media, but anyone with a
computer and some sense of how to structure a news story can create
a reasonable hoax.

I did a web search on all the elements that I thought would be
"verifiable."

There was no reference to the article on Media Monitor's site.

If David Stern is an expert on Israeli intelligence operations, he
is invisible to a web search.  It seems to me an "expert" would
have been quoted in the past.

I could not find any agency entitled "Stern-Intel (Canada)" -- the
way the dateline reads.  The most I could find (somewhat coincidentally)
was a "David Stern" who is "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and is a computer
person.

As I mentioned before, I found two other David Sterns relative to
the World Trade Center.  One is a lawyer associated with the defense
of Bin Laden relative to the 1993 bombing.  The other is an MD who
owns the "Deep Politics" conspiracy website.

Also interesting, I could not find >any< news references that
discussed the Mossad in reference to the World Trade Center.  This
seems a bit surprising, since the CIA and the Mossad are probably
working very closely at this time.  CIA and the Mossad have a long
relationship and the Mossad has "deep cover" agents that can
penetrate Islamic organizations, whereas I don't think the CIA
does.

Changing subjects:

Is it "terrorism" for the US to obtain worldwide "assistance" by
essentially threatening to bomb nations such as Pakistan that do
not help the US go after Bin Laden?

Since Pakistan is presently under trade and technology sanctions
as a terrorist nation (and also possesses nuclear weapons), does
it make sense to remove those sanctions in an effort to "get Bin
Laden?"  (If you ask me, this only plays directly into the hands
of Islamic Extremists, many of who are alleged to be >in< Pakistan.)

laugh a day keeps the doctor away.

Come get your prescription filled at . . .

http://www.TheJokeDoctor.com