--- Begin Message ---
This is being sent on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
as part of the mailing list that you joined.
List: emperorsclothes

URL for this article: http://emperors-clothes.com/letters/wrong.htm

Join our email list at http://emperors-clothes.com/f.htm. Receive about one
article/day.

www.tenc.net * [Emperor's Clothes]

=======================================
READER SAYS EMPEROR'S CLOTHES WRONG ON BIN LADEN, 9-11
[Posted 28 September 2001]
(The discussion refers to 'The Creation Called Osama'
http://emperors-clothes.com/analysis/creat.htm )
=======================================

To Emperor's Clothes:

Letter from Attorney J.B. (name withheld)

Hello!

Contrary to the article, 'The Creation called Osama", the news media has not hidden
the true story of bin Laden. Must you guys find United States conspiracies and lies in
everything? Is there a country that does not lie? You make it sound like the US is
this evil country that gets what it deserves. While it is true that our own actions
can be traced as a cause of the terrorist attacks, they are not THE cause, or the
proximate cause as we say at law. You guys have the "boy who cried wolf" mentality,
who find a conspiracy in everything, who read only what you feel is "between the
lines" and not the lines themselves... This shows a tremendous bias in your reporting.

Nonetheless, thank you for your columns and I will keep reading them.

- Signed, Attorney J.B. (full name withheld)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Editor, Jared Israel replies: "The Creation Called Osama" Does Have an Error, But...
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dear Attorney J.B.:

Thank you for the compliment of continuing to read Emperor's Clothes despite
disagreements.

You say, "You make it sound like the US is this evil country that gets what it
deserves."

We don't believe that, period. Ordinary people in this country - the people who were
killed and terrorized September 11 - are innocent. They did not "get what they
deserve." They deserve to be alive, with their loved ones. New York did not deserve to
be trashed.

The 200 murdered firemen did not bomb Yugoslavia. The porters and janitors and
cleaning ladies and rest of the army of workers at the Towers did not starve the
children of Iraq.

The small number of people responsible for crimes that have been committed in
America's name did not suffer on 9-11. And now these powerful forces are using the
tragic deaths for their own gain, to create a cloud of anger to justify strategic
military moves under the guise of a phony "infinite war against terror."

By the way, we often use 'U.S.' to mean the government, as is commonly done in news
analysis. (For example, a journalist might write, 'Today France declared,' when
obviously France is not capable of declaring anything.)

Regarding the article, "The Creation Called Osama," you say "The news media has not
hidden the true story of bin Laden."

Please keep in mind, the article was reprinted from "The Hindu" so we couldn't edit
it. It contains useful points. It's also partly wrong, as you noted. Here is what I
observed about media coverage of bin Laden.

The first few days after the WTC attacks almost nothing appeared in the media about
bin Laden. Then the story came out on the Internet. Only after that was it covered in
the mass media; and this coverage was consistently inaccurate. Worse than nothing.

Bin Laden's public image was created in 1998, after the U.S. government bombed a pill
factory in Sudan and "terrorist training camps" in Afghanistan. I wrote an article
analyzing news coverage of those bombing raids. I could find only one report (1)
mentioning the fact that the CIA had built the 'training camps' the U.S. bombed. (My
article, called 'Credible Deception,' is at
http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/jared/sudan.html (1a))

Starting back in 1998, the government and media gave people the impression bin Laden
was an all-powerful evil genius, controlling terror all over the world. This view,
reminiscent of comic book villains, has stuck.

Starting around Sept. 13th, the CIA connection began being discussed widely in the
media, but with crucial distortions.

Distortion #1: The CIA only supported Afghan Islamist terrorists against Russia. (That
is, Washington simply chose some bad allies.)

Reality: Does a parent ally with his child? Washington instigated the war in
Afghanistan (2) and Washington deliberately created the violent Islamist movement,
utilizing for this purpose the harsh Wahhibi version of Islam pushed by U.S. ally
Saudi Arabia. Some say this was 'just a bad mistake,' but it involved debate in the
highest circles and careful planning and vast sums of money and the intimate
participation of the covert forces of the U.S. and junior partners. As late as this
May, President Bush promised to send the Taliban another 43 million dollars. (2a)

Distortion # 2: "Bin Laden's network" is the source of all terror.

Reality: Nonsense. Bin laden couldn't exist without the Taliban which took control of
Afghanistan (and much of the drug trade) and the Taliban could only do these things
because they were supported by the U.S.-controlled Pakistani secret police, the ISI.
(3) Before you conclude that "U.S.-controlled" is too strong, consider how fast the
ISI buckled concerning the Taliban once the U.S applied pressure.

The Taliban fulfilled, or were supposed to fulfill, a key US strategy: to threaten the
former Soviet Republics in Central Asia. The message was: cooperate with the US
(especially, let the U.S. military take over your defense apparatus with U.S.
advisers, arms, etc.) or the Taliban will get you. It is because the Taliban has
proved inadequate for this task that the U.S. government is now moving to take
Afghanistan into receivership.

Distortion # 3: We are told bin Laden broke with the U.S. during the Gulf War.

Reality: Who knows the truth? We're dealing with covert forces here. If he did break,
why have he and, more important, a whole army of Islamist terrorists been involved on
the side of U.S.-backed (or U.S. created!) terrorists in Bosnia, Kosovo and Macedonia?
[See: http://emperors-clothes.com/news/binl.htm ]

By pushing the comic book notion of the Evil Genius bin Laden, the Clinton and Bush
administrations have hidden the amazing fact that the US Establishment has created a
giant terrorist apparatus throughout the Balkans and Central Asia. It has even
involved the UN in creating a front group for the terrorists in Kosovo - the Kosovo
protection Corps. (3a) Terrorists attacking Macedonia are paid members of this UN
group, this "Protection Corp". True, some of these people are Islamists who -
paradoxically - hate the U.S.

This apparatus has been used to smash groups inclined to resist the U.S. drive to
conquer the former Soviet Union. That is why the terrorists are especially active in
the geo-strategic Balkans and Central Asia. If they aren't planning to attack Russia,
why have the U.S. elite got Russia surrounded?

The third region strategic for attacking Russia is the Baltic area. The U.S. has
pushed for the active active involvement of the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and
Lithuania in NATO. Lithuania was the staging ground for recent maneuvers by 14
countries including Germany and the U.S.

This is clearly meant as a military threat to Belarus, a former Soviet state between
Lithuania and Russia, whose government has disdained Washington control. The U.S. is
sponsoring some 300 organizations in Belarus. One for every 30,000 inhabitants. If you
want to know the purpose of these organizations, the U.S. Ambassador to Belarus
recently made it perfectly clear.

Ambassador Michael Kozak announced that his government has a 'Nicaraguan"-type policy
towards Belarus. The Ambassador was referring to Washington's creation and sponsorship
of the Contra drug-gangsters (remember Iran/Contra?) whom Washington organized to
terrorize Nicaragua during the 1980s. The goal was to destroy the left-nationalist
Sandanista government. Kozak was himself a U.S. operative in that terror campaign, so
his outrageous threat should be taken seriously. (3b)

Thus, again, terror as a political weapon.

The U.S. attack on Belarus clearly violates international law - for instance, the
Helsinki Final Act, which the U.S., by the way, signed. Perhaps Mr. Bush is unaware
that the Helsinki Final Act exists. Perhaps his understanding of international law is:
'We do what we want and you do what we want or we kill you.' [An excerpt from the
Helsinki Final Act is posted near the end of this discussion.]

Why is there no uproar in the U.S. Congress about the violent, illegal attack on
Belarus which risks nuclear war? Belarus is allied with Russia and is nuclear-armed.
Why is the U.S. government doing these things if it wants peace and is uninterested in
seizing control of the former Soviet Union?

The Washington-created terrorist apparatus has been used to crush secular and
multiethnic regimes. The victims - especially Serbia and Macedonia - are then
slandered in the Western media. "Human Rights Groups" (4) controlled by the U.S.
foreign policy establishment are dispatched to victim countries and 'discover' that
these places (e.g., Serbia and Macedonia) are cruel and abusive in fighting the
terrorists that the same U.S. foreign policy elite has sent to attack them. It's a
nightmare.

The American people do not support Imperial aggression. But if they feel they are
being attacked, they support extreme actions. The powers-that-be can use Islamist
terrorists to stage seeming 'outside attacks' to whip up a war fever. Given the
complex web the CIA has woven in creating and nurturing terrorism, it is perfectly
possible for the CIA to motivate a group of these people to do something to attack
ordinary American people (whom they loathe) without the terrorists knowing the real
origin of the orders or even the full plan of the attack.

- Jared Israel

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Attorney JB responds: You're Going Too Far!
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

While I can see the apparent plausibility of many of your arguments, I do not see how
you make the leap to the following statement:

"It is perfectly possible for the CIA to motivate a > group of these people to > do
something to attack ordinary American people > without the terrorists knowing > the
real origin of the orders or even the full plan > of the attack"

I grant that this is POSSIBLE, but you seem to be suggesting that it may have
happened. Yes, we helped to create the monster attack dog, and we can see that the dog
bit us hard; but are you suggesting that the CIA directed these guys to conduct the
9-11-01 attacks? If so, what would the reason be for such an outrage? You may consider
this a naive view, but I cannot consider as remotely possible the suggestion that our
own government was directly involved in actively launching these attacks.

- Peace, JB

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Jared Israel responds: You 'Underestimate' Our Exalted Leaders
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I don't think you're naïve. I think you're smart and sane. Therefore you make the
mistake of thinking those on top are like you. You have trouble believing they are mad
with lust for power. Their God is money. They view ordinary Americans the way an
agribusiness views chickens.

The U.S. Establishment has been staging fake incidents to justify wars for a hundred
years. US operatives blew up the Maine, a second class battleship in Havana Harbor in
1898, killing 266 U.S. sailors. Why? To justify the War with Spain which netted the
U.S. elite the control of Cuba, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. In the process,
a million Filipinos were slaughtered. The tactics used in the Philippines were just
like those employed later in Vietnam, as described by Colin Powell:

"In his 1995 autobiography, My American Journey, Powell describes burning [Vietnamese]
peasants out of their huts in 1963, 'starting the blaze with Ronson and Zippo
lighters.'

"'Why were we torching homes and destroying crops?' Powell asks rhetorically. 'Ho Chi
Minh had said the people were like the sea in which his guerillas swam. We tried to
solve the problem by making the whole sea uninhabitable.'" (Quoted in "Nobody's hero,"
at http://www.inthesetimes.com/web2504/edit2504.html)

If this man could commit such war crimes as a soldier, imagine what he is capable of
as an exalted leader.

The bombing of North Vietnm was "legalized" by the Congressional passage of the Gulf
of Tonkin Resolution. This was pushed through based on the lie that North Vietnamese
boats fired on US destroyers. (See former Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee's
comments, at the end, after 'Further Reading.')

Another example - former El Salvador death Squad organizer William Walker staged the
phony Racak incident to justify the bombing of Serbia.(5)

More - there could not have been massive and consistent media lies about Yugoslavia -
for a decade - without top level "conspiracy." Just check out our article "KLA Attacks
Everyone, Media Attacks...Miloshevich" which proves the American people have been sold
a mound of cow pie concerning that Yugoslav leader. (5A)

Are we wrong? Here's a thought: We'll soon be posting a list of 50 key articles on
Emperor's Clothes. Arranged by subject. Take the Emperor's Clothes challenge. Read any
or all and show us where we're wrong. We'll post the most convincing criticisms, with