-Caveat Lector-

10-23-01

Notes from "The Siege" starring Denzel Washington, Annette Bening and Bruce
Willis
by Samantha

(When segment times are given they include approx ten minutes of rental video
previews.)

Premise:  The US kidnapped terrorist ringleader "Sheik Ahmed Bin Tolol" in
August.  Attacks in NY are a response to this.  The Sheik was an Iraqi
(though apparently originally from Jordan) and had been the US' ally in
overthrowing Saddam Hussein.  The CIA had recruited the Sheik's followers and
trained them.  Then policy shifted resulting in the Sheik's people being
abandoned by the CIA.  Many were slaughtered as a result.

An underlying theme, reinforced twice, is that the terrorists want the media
watching when they do an attack and will wait until helicopters, etc., are in
place before setting off a bomb.  The "good guys" figure this out and try to
stop attacks before media is present.

The army, during the martial law portion of the movie, is in conflict with
the FBI.  The army bugs the FBI investigators and uses brute force against
suspects even if it endangers FBI personnel.  FBI = good guys, Army = bad
guys.  The events take place between August and "the Playoffs."  Characters
are in fall clothing - no snow on the ground.

>From the movie synopsis:  http://www.thesiege.com/htmls/movie_info2.html

"At what point does the protection of the country's citizens conflict with
the protection of their rights? Faced with such grave danger, how will the
members of a free society measure up? How quickly will the country abrogate
the Constitution? How shallowly beneath the surface does the ugly spectre of
repression and persecution reside? Or more simply put: Will the people of
this country be forced to become monsters in order to fight monsters?"

(40:39) Mossad Confidential File #T1742
Ahmed Bin Tolol, terrorist leader, hijacking, bombing
6'1" 164 lbs
Jordan
20-07-39
ID marks/scars: 2" diagonal on right shoulder

  Tolol looks a lot like Bin Laden - long face, long gray beard, turban, big
nose.

(42:16) The first attack with casualties was a bus bomb.  The first terrorist
fingerprint match was "Ali Waziri."  The FBI determines that he left
Frankfurt three days before the attack, and WAS ON A TERRORIST WATCH LIST -
"how did he get into this country?"  It was later determined that he got in
under a student visa.

  The second attack was in a Broadway Theater, just as people were getting up
for Intermission - bodies everywhere.  News commentary:

"Scores of the wealthiest and brightest of NY society were killed last night
when a bomb ripped through a crowded theater.  The list of victims is a
veritable Who's Who of the city's cultural leaders."

"Retail sales down 72%.  Hate crimes have skyrocketed."

(1:10)  Panel of experts - Senate, House, military, presidential advisors,
etc, various quotes:

"Conventional law enforcement [is] not up to the task."

"How about sending in the National Guard?"

"The National Guard is for riot control, Senator, not for counter-terrorism."

"Get the army then, I've read the contingency plans."

"It's established legal doctrine - posse comitatus - that the army cannot be
turned against our own people."

"Even if that's what our own people are asking for 3 to 1?"

"You don't find a junkyard dog with ASPCA rules; what you do is you take the
leash off your own bigger, meaner dog."

(General Devereaux, Bruce Willis' character): " "MAKE NO MISTAKE: we will
hunt down the enemy, we will find the enemy, and we will kill the enemy.  And
no card-carrying member of the ACLU is more dead set against it [martial law]
than I am.  Which is why I urge you - I implore you - do not consider this as
an option."

Response: "I know just what the President is going to say.  "That's exactly
why you're the only man for the job."

Third attack, news commentary: "One Federal Plaza was the headquarters of the
FBI counter-terrorism task force, as well as many other federal agencies."

600 dead.

(1:20:40) Devereux:  "This is an attack.  This is a time of war.  That fact
that it's inside our borders only means it's a NEW KIND OF WAR."

(1:21:05) News commentary: "The President released a statement today that ONE
OF OUR GREATEST FREEDOMS IS FREEDOM FROM FEAR, and he pledged to protect that
freedom with all [unintelligible.]"

(1:22:53) Martial law invoked.  Devereaux in charge, excerpts:

"To the best of our knowledge, we are opposed by no more than 20 of the
enemy."

"Intelligence tells us that he's most likely Arab-speaking, between the age
of 14 and 30."

"We intend to seal of this Borough [Brooklyn] and then we intend to squeeze
it."

"After sundown tonight, any young man fitting the profile I described who has
not cooperated will be arrested and detained."

"…but the enemy would be sadly mistaken if they were to doubt our resolve."
----

Annette Bening played a CIA agent.  Her informant and lover was a Palestinian
college professor.  It was determined that he had sponsored the student visa
for Ali Waziri.  When pressured, he named the man who asked him to sponsor
the young man:  TARIQ HUSSEINI.

(1:36) Devereaux, on considering the torture of Tariq Husseini:  "The time
has come for one man to suffer in order to save hundreds of lives."

Denzel's character (FBI):  "What if what they [terrorists] really want….is
for us…[to] bend the law, shred the Constitution a little bit.  Because if we
torture him, General, we do that and everything we have bled and fought and
died for is over, and they've won.  They've already won!"

(1:41) Tariq Husseini was innocent - didn't know anything.  He was tortured
and killed by the Army.  It turns out the CIA agent (Bening) along with the
Palestinian informant, had gotten the visa for Ali Waziri.  Bening's
character felt responsible when the CIA abandoned those they had trained, and
had tried to help them.

(1:51:43) The last attack was to be on the group of protestors who were
marching in opposition to martial law.  The Palestinian informant (CIA
agent's lover) betrayed her, and was planning on carrying bombs into the
crowd.

Bening's character tried to stop him, "Those poor people out there - they're
f---ing marching for your cause!"

He replied, "They, too, will be God's martyrs."

The plan was foiled.  Bening's character was killed.  Denzel's character
arrested Deveraux for the torture and murder of Tariq Husseini.