Worth a look: David Corn’s discussion of the CIA’s role in creating the
Afghanistan vacuum from which bin Laden blowsback as such a powerful and
destructive force.

It’s at workingforchange.com:
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemId=12197
EXCERPT: “Here, then, is the lesson for Brzezinski and the CIA and the
other muj-backers (past and present): be careful when you start (or
underwrite) a secret war, for the consequences of such action can extend
far beyond your intentions. Who can say where bin Laden -- and the 6,000
killed on September 11 -- would be today, had the United States not
assisted the muj and had not bolted (as it usually does at the end of a
secret war)? No one. But we do know what did occur in Afghanistan, and
we do know -- sort of -- where bin Laden and the dead are today.”

-udom