-Caveat Lector-

--------------------
Feeding Fears - for Ratings
--------------------

Marvin Kitman

October 28, 2001

I DON'T SCARE EASY.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and live in New Jersey, both places where we don't
trust the air unless we can see it. Anybody breathing the air in New Jersey
is fearless. I read somewhere it was like smoking three packs of cigarettes
a day just living there.

I've lived through the arsenic-in-the-water scare at the beginning of the
Bush administration. Without meaning to be boastful, we have always had
arsenic in the water in New Jersey. We have all the other minerals and
metals, too. Our water is so heavy we could make atom bombs with it.

I have lived through the hoof and mouth disease scare on TV, even though
humans can't get it.

I'm tough.

Still, watching the coverage of the anthrax story on TV the last two weeks
has convinced me that I have anthrax. If you don't think you have anthrax,
the 24/7 coverage on our cable news networks makes me wonder what's wrong
with you.

TV, I'm not ashamed to admit, has managed to scare the dickens out of me.

It started with one dead, the first American diagnosed with the deadliest
form of anthrax since 1978. Then it rose to two. And rose again to three. In
a nation of 281,421,906 (latest census), the odds of getting the Big A are
about similar to having a safe falling on you while walking down the street.

But that hasn't prevented me from becoming a walking basket case. Such is
the power of the basic modern TV journalism principle of giving one piece of
news and repeating it all day long.

Anway, it's not the numbers that are so deadly. It's the blow to the
national brain.

We are in a state of perpetual anxiety. Where will it hit next? Why are they
doing this to us? Who are they? What did we do to deserve this?

As I race around the dial like a rat in a maze trying to get answers, I am
watching the news. But the news is making me sick. Or at least sick of
watching the news.

They keep telling me not to panic, while doing everything possible to panic
me. Especially the "breaking news" bulletins on CNN, presumably of special
import. And then it turns out that lab tests are in, and a suspected anthrax
victim hasn't got it, even though an earlier breaking news flash said, "He
might have gotten it." But stop the presses anyway.

CNN, the network of breaking news, has left me a broken man. I sit there
watching "CNN Headline News," doing my duty to be an informed good citizen.
Some entertainment reporter ditz, pressed into hard-news service, is Q&A-ing
the CNN medical authority, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, about the anthrax issues
"America's most concerned about." He tells us all about false positives and
double negatives and spores in the nose, all of which makes me wonder what
would turn up if they took swabs of our noses in New Jersey.

There are three types of anthrax, Dr. Gupta explained again: skin,
inhalation and the kind you get from eating infected meat or working with
infected animals, alive or dead. Not to mention feeling sick from watching
TV.

I don't know which is scarier: the bioterrorists sending anthrax in the
mail, or those defending us against it. Our health officials seem somewhat
confused. The government tells us to go about our business, not to panic.
And then it sends everybody home from work, closing the Capitol.

Government spokesmen keep telling us to resume our normal life, which
includes, presumably, watching TV, which of course is poisonous. That's what
is causing the trouble in the first place. The manipulation, the reiteration
of the same bits of carefully selected news make us unquestioning zombies in
the hands of the spin doctors.

The network news mullahs are doing their best to scare us. But I don't think
it's a plot. It's something they do all the time. Remember what they did to
us with the Y2K problem, the Great Millennium Computer Scare of 1999? I
still have bottles of water and batteries left over from that Armageddon.

Take the local news, please. There's the possibility of snow, with
accumulations of up to three inches. A mad bomber scare. A lunatic jabbing
needles into people's arms on the subways, so by the time you got downtown
you'd be a hopeless drug addict. A gas shortage. Killer salads. Giant rats.
Internet porno. Crime in the streets. Crime not in the streets. The
newscasters don't care - as long as it makes your hair stand up. It's a
wonder any of us ever went outside our houses.

With the bioterorrists, the fear factor has escalated. It's a bonanza for
scareologists in the news departments.

As the news unfolded, it was as if there was a fifth column in our midst.

This week, the scarecrow campaign turned to smallpox. The talking heads told
us not to worry. And they told us how terrorists could start a plague - as
if they didn't know. Forget the mails. All they had to do was send somebody
into Delray Beach with a suitcase filled with smallpox.

The news mullahs, I repeat, are not on the enemy's side. They are only doing
this to increase their show ratings. Is it any coincidence that anthrax
overcoverage began the third day of the war in Afghanistan, coincidental
with declining news ratings and lack of suitable pictures from the peanut
butter and bombs of phase one?

In defense of the news mullahs, one can also say fear is what moves people.
It is the No. 1 mover of the emotions. That is the human condition.

But in this semi-civilized world we live in, the most powerful information
tool ever invented, television, has to be concerned about such things as the
copycat effect, where sickies do things for publicity, to get their 15
seconds on TV. Remember the Tylenol scare of 1982?

I'm not trying to minimize the gravity of the situation and the threat of
bioterrorism. Whoever is doing this is committing a monstrously evil act,
and they should be caught and punished. It's a dreadful business. People
have a right to be concerned. Like every American, I'm concerned. And we
should try to keep informed. But TV news has to avoid pouring oil on the
fire.

Soon everybody will be walking around with home-testing swabs to use before
entering a train, bus or office. There will be anthrax-sniffing dogs. People
unlucky enough to work for the media, government or the postal system will
be treated like lepers.

TV news has to learn how to keep us informed without causing panic. It will
be hard. It's against its very nature. It could be something in its genes.
With all its high-tech advances, the medium is still morality-challenged.

TV has already destroyed minds in the guise of entertainment. Now it's
facing the same challenge in news. The 11th plague is media.

Oh well, at least the anthrax scare is good news for doctors, and drug
companies making Cipro.

But there's a new thing to worry about, according to TV news: whether we
should stop the war during Ramadan. If we don't, the cable news is scaring
us, the militant Muslims will be angry. But they're already angry at us, as
we see by the way the protesters burn our flag, often the same flag 35
times. What is this, the first politically correct war?

And for even more thrills, log on to www.marvinkitman.com. To read a
selection of Marvin's recent columns, visit www.newsday.com/marvinkitman.

Copyright (c) 2001, Newsday, Inc.

This article originally appeared at: