-Caveat Lector-

http://www.counterpunch.org/oden5.html

November 12, 2001

My Day At the Airport
By Nancy Oden

On Thursday, November 1, 2001, I left my farmhouse on
the North Coast of Maine, where I'm an organic grower,
and headed for the Bangor International Airport in
Bangor, Maine. I was dressed conservatively in a long,
brown skirt with a matching jacket and turtleneck
sweater, no jewelry, no buttons or other political
indications attached, looking very like other women my
age in this part of the world.

I am a relatively well known environmental, social,
and political activist who has run for public office.
It should be noted that, while I've been an activist
for over thirty years, I've never been arrested, nor
has there been anything in my life that would signal I
meant harm to anyone.

Also, this was the third time this year I had traveled
out of (or attempted to, in this case) Bangor Airport
on American Airlines using an e-ticket purchased from
Priceline.com bought weeks before with my own credit
card. They had no reason for profiling and singling me
out. It had to have been because of my political views
which, of course, is not a good reason (see U.S.
Constitution's first Ten Amendments, otherwise known
as the Bill of Rights).

I was headed for Chicago for a Green Party USA
National Coordinating Committee meeting, where I was
to speak the next night on biochemical warfare and
pesticides as weapons of war. I was also scheduled to
interview job applicants, present several proposals
and financial reports, and so on. I am a lead person
on the National Coordinating Committee of the Green
Party USA (the original Green Party, although there is
now another which took a very similar name).

I arrived at the Bangor Airport the now-requisite two
hours ahead of the flight and walked in to the airport
to the sight of a couple of dozen National Guard
troops carrying machine guns in their hands wandering
around the lobby. I walked down to the American
Airlines ticket counter, where there were no other
passengers, and told the airlines ticket agent my
name. I was holding out my picture ID and the printed
itinerary they told us to bring, but he barely glanced
at them. I remember thinking, "Does he have a picture
of me under that counter? Why didn't he look at my
ID?"

No one checked my ID at any time. They all knew what I
looked like and, it became clear, my antiwar stance. I
am not that well known that they would have known me
on sight. Why were they briefed about me before I
arrived at the airport? What were they told? Was it
the FBI or some other agency? Which one?

The ticket agent spent an inordinate amount of time on
his computer, then finally produced a boarding pass
with a large "S" written on it. I asked him what that
meant, and he said I had been picked to have my bags
searched. Well, one expects that now, so I said, "Oh,
that's okay." But I had a feeling there was more.

Since there was no one else around, I turned back to
him and looked him in the eye - he seemed a decent guy
- and asked him, "My being picked wasn't random, was
it?" He hesitated a moment, but then said, "No, your
name was already flagged in the computer and you would
have been searched in any case." Well, still possibly
coincidence.

Then to the x-ray for my bags and me. I said to the
two women sitting by the machine that scans the bags.
sort of apologetically, "I've been picked to have my
bags searched. I know this might sound silly, but
since you handle all these people's bags and
belongings--with the Anthrax scare and all--I'd like
it if whoever searches through my clothes and things
wash their hands first." They looked at me with hate
and loathing and one said, "We don't want YOUR germs,
either." (Turns out they wear rubber gloves.)

"Whoa," I thought, "either I'm back in kindergarten or
these normally quite civil women have some reason for
being hostile." I had the distinct feeling they had
been told awful things about me - I want to know what
they were told about this profiled individual coming
to their airport.

Neither my bags nor I set off any beeps in the
machinery so we walked right through to the boarding
area. Here I sat down with the other passengers. There
was one National Guard soldier in the boarding area;
he was a short man with a black eye wearing camo gear
and carrying a machine gun.

Soon after I sat down, the National Guardsman looked
at the dozen or so passengers, his eyes stopping at me
and he yelled, "Bring those bags over here!" Since he
didn't call my name, how did he know which person was
me, since I did not look appreciably different from
the others?

When I didn't move fast enough, he yelled again,
"Hurry up! Move! Bring those bags up here!" This did
not make me move faster. By now people were beginning
to stare at me as if I might possibly be someone bent
on doing something wrong.

I set my two smallish bags on the table where two
women were waiting to search my bags. As one of them
had trouble with a zipper on my older bag, I said,
"Oh, that zipper is not right, here, let me open it
for you," and I reached over the table to undo the
zipper. Immediately, the soldier yelled out, "Get your
hands away from there!" By now the other passengers
were getting nervous, of course.

He was standing at the end of the table with the women
on one side looking in my bags and me standing on the
other side of the table. I turned to face him, which
put my back towards everyone else, and he grabbed my
left arm and began loudly spouting pro-war nonsense
into my face. "Don't you understand we have to get
them before they get us? Don't you understand what
happened September 11?" and so on.

I immediately pulled my arm away from him and said,
"Do not touch me. You cannot do that," and stepped
back a foot or so, saying that I didn't want to hear
his views on why he thought we should kill starving,
helpless people in Afghanistan.

He grabbed for me again. I stepped back further
stating emphatically, "Do Not Touch Me," and further
emphasizing that I did not want to listen to his views
on the war. He was about to leave his position and
come after me again, but I saw the senior security man
who is usually there shake his head "No" at the
soldier, who then backed off, but he was angry that I
would not submit to his holding me while he forced his
views on me.

I turned and there just a couple of inches away was
the man with the metal-detecting wand. I stepped back
a foot or two so he wasn't right up against me, and he
did the wand thing. I was the only one whose bags were
searched. For a woman of a certain age such as myself
to stand there with arms outstretched while a man
skimmed my body with a device was very embarrassing
and demeaning.

I asked him not to touch me with the wand, as I didn't
know what it was, but, of course, he had to touch my
shoulder with it. I ignored this, just wanting to get
out of there. While he was doing the wand thing, I
heard the soldier, who was behind me, say, "Don't let
her on the plane." I thought he was talking to
himself.

Then they were done with the searching, and I walked
the three feet to the boarding gate. The American
Airlines agent said, "You can't get on the plane." I
asked why. He replied, "Because he [indicating the
soldier] says you didn't cooperate with the search." I
said, "But you were standing here the whole time.
Didn't you see him grab my arm and talk loudly into my
face?" He said he couldn't see that because my back
was to people, only saw me back off.

I then told the American Airlines agent that I needed
to get to Chicago and stated what I had to do there.
The American Airlines agent then said, rather softly,
probably so the guardsman soldier couldn't hear,
"We'll put you on the four o'clock plane; that's the
last one out today that you can go through Boston and
still get to Chicago tonight." I replied, "Fine, let's
just do this. I don't care if I'm late so long as I
get there."

Unfortunately, the Guardsman overheard, and he wasn't
done with me. Clearly, this non-subservient female had
to be punished for not being sufficiently obsequious.
He saw me picking up my bags to go out into the lobby
and wait for the 4 o'clock plane, and yelled (that
seemed to be his only means of communication), "Come
With Me!" I asked, "Why? Where are we going?" He
replied, louder, "Come With Me!"

A few people to whom I've told this insist the
government/military is trying to "criminalize" me and
other political activists who don't have criminal
records. This is what's done to people of color. When
they're harassed and/or beaten by police, they
eventually, of course, do something to protect
themselves and then get arrested for hitting an
officer or whatever. If they then get convicted of a
felony, they've go to prison and probably a few years
of parole when one's rights are mostly non-existent,
and draconian restrictions are put upon one's
activities. Convicted felons lose a lot of rights in
this country: their travel is henceforth limited, in
some states they can't vote, own a gun, and various
other limitations.

Under the circumstances, and because I had a few hours
until four o'clock anyway, it seemed best to go with
the guardsman. The circumstances being that each
individual soldier/national guardsman seems to be The
Law unto themselves. Each of them makes it up as they
go along, punishing people who don't hop to. Military
law is not democracy.

He took me to the entrance area, apart from anyone
else. Then he ordered, loudly, "Sit Down!" I gave him
a look and then sat. The soldier found the airport
policeman and told him to stay with me. Upon
reflection, I probably wasn't free to leave, but I
thought I was waiting for the next plane so just
stayed there.

The Airport policeman was a pleasant local man and we
talked about what had just happened as well as people
we knew, etc. Within minutes I looked up to see 5-6
National Guardsmen in their camo gear all carrying
machine guns marching in a sort of formation towards
me. I was sitting down quietly talking with the
policeman. The situation looked like a bad movie.

It occurred to me that this is how people get
"disappeared," which has happened to over 1,200
Americans so far since September 11. We used to hear
about this only in repressive military regimes in
other places (usually bolstered by our tax dollars).
I'm sure they were ready to arrest me for allegedly
"not cooperating with a security search," with which I
had, indeed, cooperated.

All of a sudden the ludicrousness of the situation
struck me. There I am, sitting down with my bags, a
woman clearly not a physical threat, and this phalanx
of soldiers in formation descends upon me ready to
arrest me for something I did not do. I gave a little
laugh and said to the lead man, "What, all this, just
for me?" Then, I asked, "What's this really about?
What's going on here?"

He replied, "We understand you didn't cooperate with a
security search." I said, "That's ridiculous. They
searched my bags and they did the wand search. The
only problem was your man here [I indicated the short
guy with the black eye] grabbing my arm and spouting
pro-war views loudly in my face." The lead soldier (I
don't know his rank) said, astonishingly, "He told me
only hit your arm."

I looked at the lead soldier wide-eyed with a few
unbidden (certainly unwanted when I'm trying to look
fierce) tears in my eyes, and asked, "Even if that's
all he had done, would that be okay?" I think he then
realized the guardsman had been way out of line and
said, "Wait here." They left, and the policeman stayed
with me. I don't really think I was free to go,
although I had not been arrested.

I found out later they had gone upstairs and told the
Bangor Airport manager to tell all airlines in the
Airport not to allow me to fly out of Bangor that day,
and possibly more than just that one day. Since the
military are in charge of our airports and they can
override civilians in charge, this was made to happen.

I was to be punished for the crime of questioning
their authority, especially for the guardsman to hold
my arm and force me to listen to his brain-washed
rantings.

Every airline in the Bangor Airport was given my name
and told that I did not cooperate with a security
search. Not cooperating with a security search at an
airport is a federal crime. If, indeed, I had not
cooperated, they would have arrested me right then and
there. But I had been searched so they couldn't say
that.

However, now I have to wonder if every airline in the
world doesn't have me in their computer as a person
who didn't cooperate with the security search, which
means they can deny me passage in their airplanes. We
will find out as time goes on.

They told the policeman this news and had him tell me
that I wouldn't be allowed to fly out of Bangor that
day. So I said I had to go American Airlines and get
my money back. The policeman came with me.

The same AA clerk was at the counter. He stepped
outside the counter to converse with the policeman and
me. He confirmed that they had been told not to allow
me to fly out of Bangor that day. I asked him about
the next day and he said he didn't know. This is not a
small matter for me since the Bangor Airport is 100
miles from where I live.

The AA clerk then suggested I drive to Boston (5-1/2
hour drive) and fly out of there. There were several
problems with that, I told him. First, my old car
barely made it the 100 miles to the Bangor Airport and
might not make it to Boston or back again. Then there
were the parking fees in Boston as well as the fact
that I might not be allowed to fly out of there or
might not be able to get a seat once I got there.
Also, if they would not honor my now-expired ticket,
I'd have to pay full fare, which I couldn't afford.
Not a serious option.

I then asked the American Airlines clerk for my money
back so I might consider some alternative means of
transport. He said he couldn't refund my money. I
asked him why and he said, "It's a non-refundable
ticket." This was so ridiculous that all three of us
laughed a little. All the airlines issue tickets on
other tickets all the time. So I asked him again and
he said he couldn't refund the ticket, indicating it
wasn't his decision, which I understood, and told him
I'd take it up with the airline later.

Then the policeman, half apologetically, told me I'd
been banned from the Airport for that day, and that he
had to escort me out. I told him I understood that he
was under the military's rule, and that I would call
it his walking me to the door, rather than escorting
me out of the Airport. We walked to the exit. I
thanked him for being kind and considerate, which he
had been, and left with the sinking feeling that
something bad is happening to our country. And this is
how it begins.

Postscript:

I have since gotten in touch with the Bangor Airport
manager who assures me that it's fine with them if
they fly out of there, but that it ultimately isn't
their decision.

I've also been told by American Airlines' head of
security in Texas that I am welcome to fly on their
airline any time, and that they will contact
Priceline.com about both of them giving my money back.
This is all good, excepting that the military can
arbitrarily, at any time, revoke my right to travel
for no good reason, as they did November 1 in Bangor,
Maine. So long as the military are in charge of
civilian affairs, we are not free; we do not have our
Bill of Rights protecting us because they've abrogated
it and declared themselves the Law.

We are forming a national Bill of Rights Defense
Committee, and invite all of you and/or groups you're
affiliated with to help us form such a coalition based
on defense of our civil liberties. Please email back
saying you'll be part of this new coalition of groups
and individuals, and include your name and phone
number. Then we can call a meeting to decide what to
do. We need a large, strong, united voice to tell the
military government we now have (Bush, Sr., who used
to be not only President but before that head of the
CIA, Dick Cheney, Daddy Bush's fellow oil man and
defense contractor, and the Pentagon brass) that we
will not accept killing democracy in order to save it.

We do not want corporations, with their only interest
in next quarter's profits, running the world. We, the
people, should be making the decisions that affect our
lives. Real Democracy. Nothing less will do. CP

Nancy Oden is an organic farmer and Green Party
organizer. She lives in Jonesboro, Maine. She can be
contacted at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====
As I've often told Ginsberg, you can't blame the President for the state of the
country, it's always the poets' fault.
You can't expect politicians to come up with a vision, they don't have it in them.
Poets have to come up with the vision and they have to turn it on so it sparks and
catches hold.
KEN KESEY (1935 - 2001)

http://www.sinkers.org/news_earth.html

http://personals.yahoo.com