-Caveat Lector-

http://www.drugwar.com/cv29.htm

Promis
by Michael C. Ruppert

[The following story appeared in the September, 2000
Special Edition of From The Wilderness for paid
subscribers only. Read it now, free, for the first
time ever on the web. © Copyright 2000, 2001. All
rights reserved. Michael C. Ruppert and From The
Wilderness Publications. See Homepage for Reprint
Policy]

"U.S. journalist Mike Ruppert, a former Los Angeles
police officer who now runs a Web site that seeks to
expose CIA covert operations, said he met with RCMP
investigator McDade on Aug. 3 in L.A. Ruppert said the
RCMP officer was anxious to see documents he received
three years ago from a shadowy Green Beret named Bill
Tyre [sic] detailing the sale of rigged Promis
software to Canada." - The Toronto Star, September 4,
2000.

Only the legends of Excalibur, the sword of invincible
power, and the Holy Grail, the chalice from which
Christ took his wine at the Last Supper begin to
approach the mysterious aura that have evolved in the
world of secret intelligence around a computer
software program named Promis. Created in the 1970s by
former National Security Agency (NSA) programmer and
engineer Bill Hamilton, now President of Washington,
D.C.'s Inslaw Corporation, PROMIS (Prosecutor's
Management Information System) crossed a threshold in
the evolution of computer programming. Working from
either huge mainframe computer systems or smaller
networks powered by the progenitors of today's PCs,
PROMIS, from its first "test drive" a quarter century
ago, was able to do one thing that no other program
had ever been able to do. It was able to
simultaneously read and integrate any number of
different computer programs or data bases
simultaneously, regardless of the language in which
the original programs had been written or the
operating system or platforms on which that data base
was then currently installed.

In the mid 1970s, at least as far as computer programs
were concerned, the "universal translator" of Star
Trek had become a reality. And the realm of Star Trek
is exactly where most of the major media would have
the general public place the Promis story in their
world views. But given the fact that the government of
Canada has just spent millions of dollars
investigating whether or not a special version of
Promis, equipped with a so-called "back door" has
compromised its national security, one must concede
that perhaps the myths surrounding Promis and what has
happened to it need to be re-evaluated. Myths, by
definition, cannot be solved, but facts can be
understood and integrated. Only a very few people
realize how big the Promis story really is.

It is difficult to relegate Promis to the world of
myth and fantasy when so many tangible things, like
the recently acknowledged RCMP investigation make it
real. Canadians are not known for being wildly
emotional types given to sprees. And one must also
include the previous findings of Congressional
oversight committees and no less than six obvious dead
bodies ranging from investigative journalist Danny
Casolaro in 1991, to a government employee named Alan
Standorf, to British Publisher and lifelong Israeli
agent Robert Maxwell also in 1991, to retired Army CID
investigator Bill McCoy in 1997, to a father and son
named Abernathy in a small northern California town
named Hercules. The fact that commercial versions of
Promis are now available for sale directly from Inslaw
belies the fact that some major papers and news
organizations instantly and laughably use the epithet
conspiracy theorist to stigmatize anyone who discusses
it. Fear may be the major obstacle or ingredient in
the myth surrounding modified and "enhanced" versions
of Promis that keeps researchers from fully pursuing
leads rising in its wake. I was validated in this
theory on September 23rd in a conversation with FTW
Contributing Editor Peter Dale Scott, Ph.D. Scott, a
Professor Emeritus at UC Berkeley and noted author.
Peter, upon hearing of the details of my involvement,
frankly told me that Promis frightened him. Casolaro,
who was found dead in a West Virginia motel room in
1991, had Scott's name (Scott is also a Canadian) in a
list of people to contact about his Promis findings.
He never got that far.

A close examination of the Promis saga actually leads
to more than a dozen deaths which may well be why so
many people avoid it. And many of those deaths share
in common a pattern where, within 48 hours of death,
bodies are cremated, residences are sanitized and all
files disappear. This was certainly the case with my
friend Bill McCoy, a legendary retired Army CID
investigator who was also the principal investigator
for Hamilton in his quest to recover what may be
hundreds of millions in lost royalties and to reunite
him with the evolved progeny of his brain child. Those
progeny now have names like SMART (Self Managing
Artificial Reasoning Technology) and TECH. I will
never forget hearing of McCoy's death and his
immediate cremation and then trying to reconcile that
with the number of times he had told me, while sitting
in his Fairfax Virginia home, that he wanted to be
buried next to his beloved wife in spite of the fact
that he was a Taoist.

I have tried to avoid becoming involved in Promis even
though I have been in possession of documents and
information about the case for more than six years.
Reluctantly, as I realized that recent developments
gave me a moral imperative to write, I gathered all of
my scattered computer files connecting the case into
one place. When assembled they totaled more than seven
megabytes and that did not include maybe 500 printed
pages of separate files.

In researching this story I found a starkly recurring
theme. It appeared first in a recent statement I tape
recorded from probably one of the three best informed
open sources on the story in the world, William Tyree.
I also came across the same theme, almost verbatim, in
a research paper that I discovered while following
leads from other sources.

Tyree is no stranger to FTW. A former US Army Green
Beret, framed in 1979, he has been serving a life
sentence for the murder of his wife Elaine outside of
Fort Devens Massachusetts, then home of the 10th
Special Forces Group. I have written of him in no less
than six prior issues of FTW. He has, from his prison
cell in Walpole Massachusetts, been a central if
little known figure in the Promis case for many years,
like a monk mysteriously possessed of information that
no one else could obtain. If the story is ever fully
told his role may be even more significant than anyone
has ever supposed.

The information from Tyree, recorded in a phone
conversation on August 28, and the research work on
"block-modeling" social research theory uncovered
while researching other leads both describe the same
unique position or vantage point from hypothetical and
actual perspectives. Tyree described an actual
physical point in space, further out than ever thought
possible and now used by US satellites. This distance
is made possible by Promis progeny so evolved that
they make the original software look primitive. The
social research, which included pioneering
mathematical work - apparently facilitating the
creation of artificial intelligence - postulated that
a similar remote hypothetical position would eliminate
randomness from all human activity. Everything would
be visible in terms of measurable and predictable
patterns - the ultimate big picture. Just one of the
key web sites where I found this information is
located at
http://web.syr.edu/~bvmarten/socialnet.html.

One of FTW's guiding principles is our incessant drive
to separate that which is important from that which is
merely true. The purpose of this article is to provide
leads and insights, some very concrete, for the
continued investigation of the Promis saga. While we
do not claim to be worthy of pulling Excalibur from
the stone we do hope to be divorced enough from
egotistical motivations and dreams of Pulitzers or
glory to avoid being led into the trap that has
befallen so many seeking the Holy Grail. FTW believes
that the Promis story will only be solved by a group
of people working together selflessly for a greater
good. Maybe there is legend here after all. Put
simply, from the vantage point of a child actor in
1970s Burger King commercials, "It's too big to eat!"

What would you do if you possessed software that could
think, understand every language in the world, that
provided peep holes into everyone else's computer
"dressing rooms," that could insert data into
computers without people's knowledge, that could fill
in blanks beyond human reasoning and also predict what
people would do - before they did it? You would
probably use it wouldn't you? But Promis is not a
virus. It has to be installed as a program on the
computer systems that you want to penetrate. Being as
uniquely powerful as it is this is usually not a
problem. Once its power and advantages are
demonstrated, most corporations, banks or nations are
eager to be a part of the "exclusive" club that has
it. And, as is becoming increasingly confirmed by
sources connected to this story, especially in the
worldwide banking system, not having Promis - by
whatever name it is offered - can exclude you from
participating in the ever more complex world of money
transfers and money laundering. As an example, look at
any of the symbols on the back of your ATM card.
Picture your bank refusing to accept the software that
made it possible to transfer funds from LA to St.
Louis, or from St. Louis to Rome.

The other thing to remember is that where mathematics
has proved that every human being on the earth is
connected to every other by only six degrees of
separation, in covert operations the number shrinks to
around three. In the Promis story it often shrinks to
two. It really is a small world.

The First Rip Off

Reagan confidant and overseer for domestic affairs
from 1981 to 1985 Ed Meese loved Promis software.
According to lawsuits and appeals filed by Hamilton,
as well as the records of Congressional hearings, the
FBI and dozens of news stories, the legend of Promis
began in 1981-2. After a series of demonstrations
showing how well Promis could integrate the computers
of dozens of US attorneys offices around the country,
the Department of Justice (DoJ) ordered an application
of the software under a tightly controlled and limited
license. From there, however, Meese, along with
cronies D. Lowell Jensen (also no stranger to FTW's
pages) and Earl Brian allegedly engaged in a
conspiracy to steal the software, modify it to include
a "trap door" that would allow those who knew of it to
access the program in other computers, and then sell
it overseas to foreign intelligence agencies. Hamilton
began to smell a rat when agencies from other
countries, like Canada, started asking him for support
services in French when he had never made sales to
Canada.

The Promis-managed data could be anything from
financial records of banking institutions to
compilations of various records used to track the
movement of terrorists. That made the program a
natural for Israel which, according to Hamilton and
many other sources, was one of the first countries to
acquire the bootlegged software from Meese and
Company. As voluminously described by Inslaw attorney,
the late Elliot Richardson, the Israeli Mossad under
the direction of Rafi Eitan, allegedly modified the
software yet again and sold it throughout the Middle
East. It was Eitan, the legendary Mossad captor of
Adolph Eichmann, according to Hamilton, who had
masqueraded as an Israeli prosecutor to enter Inslaw's
DC offices years earlier and obtain a first hand
demonstration of what the Promis could do.

Not too many Arab nations would trust a friendly
Mossad agent selling computer programs. So the Mossad
provided their modified Promis to flamboyant British
publishing magnate Robert Maxwell, a WWII Jewish
resistance fighter who had assumed the Anglo name and
British citizenship after the war. It was Maxwell,
capable of travelling the world and with enormous
marketing resources, who became the sales agent for
Promis and then sold it to, among others, the Canadian
government. Maxwell drowned mysteriously in late 1991,
not long after investigative reporter Danny Casolaro
was "suicided" in West Virginia. Maxwell may not have
been the only one to send Promis north.

In the meantime, after winning some successes,
including a resounding Congressional finding that he
had been cheated, Bill Hamilton hit his own buzz saw
in a series of moves by the Reagan and Bush Justice
Departments and rigged court decisions intended to
bankrupt him and force him out of business. He
survived and fought on. In the meantime hundreds of
millions of dollars in royalties and sales fees were
going into the wrong pockets. And, as was later
revealed from a number of directions, this initial
tampering with the software was far from the only game
in town. Both the CIA, through GE Aerospace in Herndon
Virginia (GAO Contract #82F624620), the FBI and
elements of the NSA were tinkering with Promis, not
just to modify it with a trap door, but to enhance it
with artificial intelligence or AI. It's worth it to
note that GE Aerospace was subsequently purchased by
Martin-Marietta which then merged to become
Lockheed-Martin the largest defense and aerospace
contractor in the world. This will become important
later on.

Confidential documents obtained by FTW indicate that
much of the AI development was done at the Los Alamos
National Laboratory and Sandia Labs using research
from other US universities, including Harvard,
Cal-Tech and the University of California. And it was
not just Reagan Republicans who got their hands on it
either. As we'll see shortly, Promis came to life
years before the election of Ronald Reagan. It was
also, according to Bill Tyree, an essential element in
the espionage conducted by Jonathan Pollard against
not only the US government but the Washington
embassies of many nations targeted by Israel's Mossad.

The Last Circle

For more than a year and half, members of the National
Security Section of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
(RCMP) have been travelling through the US, often in
the company of a savvy female homicide detective from
the small California town of Hercules named Sue Todd.
Even now questions linger as to what the Canadians
were really after. But there is absolutely no question
that while surreptitiously in the U.S. the Mounties
spent more time with author and investigative reporter
Cheri Seymour than with anyone else. And for good
reason.

Seymour, under the pen name of Carol Marshall is the
author of a meticulously researched e-book entitled
The Last Circle located at
http://www.lycaeum.org/books/books/last_circle/. So
meticulously researched and documented is the book
that FTW's researcher "The Goddess" has fact checked
it and found it flawless. Same with Bill Hamilton and
the Mounties, who have also told me of its precision.
Anyone seeking to understand the Promis story must
include this book as a part of their overall research.

I first met Cheri in person this spring after she had
contacted me via the Internet. I traveled to her home,
some three hours outside of Los Angeles and viewed
acres of documentation for a saga that started with
drug related murders and police corruption around
methamphetamine production in northern California in
the 1980s. That investigation later connected to
politicians like Tony Coelho and major corporations
like MCA and eventually led to a shadowy scientist
named Michael Riconosciuto. Familiar names like Ted
Gunderson and relatively unknown names like Robert
Booth Nichols weave throughout this detailed epic that
takes us to the Cabazon Indian Reservation in the
California Desert and into the deepest recesses of the
1980s Reagan/Bush security apparatus.

Gunderson, a retired FBI Special Agent in Charge (SAC)
from Los Angeles, and Nichols, a mysterious Los
Angeles man, exposed through court documents obtained
by Seymour as being a career CIA operative, connected
with scientist/programmer, Riconosciuto in a sinister,
yet now very well documented phase of Promis'
development. In affidavits Riconosciuto claimed that
one of the tasks he performed at the Cabazon
reservation was to install a back door in the version
of Promis that was sold to Canada. In August of this
year the RCMP investigators told both Seymour and me
that they had traveled to the reservation several
times and had confirmed many details of Seymour's
research. They had also interviewed Riconosciuto on
more than one occasion. As with everyone else I have
ever met who has spoken with him, both the Mounties
and Seymour kept a reserved distance from him and
always "counted their fingers after every hand shake."

By using treaties between the U.S. Government and
Native American peoples that recognize Native American
reservations as sovereign nations, the CIA has long
and frequently avoided statutory prohibitions against
operating inside the United States. The financial
rewards for tribal nations have been significant and
the extra security afforded by tribal police in remote
areas has been a real blessing for covert operatives.
The Last Circle describes in detail how Promis
software was modified by Riconosciuto to allegedly
include the back door "eavesdropping" capability but
also enhanced with one form of AI and subsequently
applied to the development of new weapons systems
including "ethnospecific" biowarfare compounds capable
of attacking specific races. Riconosciuto, now serving
time in a Federal prison in Pennsylvania has a cell a
very short distance from fellow espionage inmates
Edwin Wilson and Jonathan Pollard. While his tale is
critical to understanding what has happened to Promis,
the fact remains that Riconosciuto has been out of the
loop and in legal trouble for eight years. He has been
in a maximum security prison for at least six. What
was surprising was that in 1998 he contacted homicide
detective Sue Todd in Hercules and told her that the
murder of a father and son, execution style, was
connected to the Promis story. One connection was
obvious. Hercules is a "company town" connected to a
weapons manufacturer described in Seymour's book that
also connects to the Cabazon Indian Reservation..

The Three Bills

I lived in Washington, D.C. from August 1994 until
late October of 1995. It was during that time that I
was a semi-regular visitor at the Fairfax, Virginia
home of Bill McCoy, a loveable sixty-something giant,
always adorned with a beret who complained ruthlessly
about what had happened to the United States since
"The Damned Yankee Army" had taken over. Writers were
"scribblers." People who thought they knew something
about covert operations without ever having seen one
were "spooky-groupies." "Mac," as we called him, had
his investigative fingers in almost everything but he
was most involved with Promis. McCoy was a retired
Chief Warrant Officer from the U.S. Army's Criminal
Investigation Division. He had broken some of the
biggest cases in Army history. It was Mac who first
introduced me to both Bill Tyree and to Bill Hamilton
in 1994. I recall scratching my head as I would be
sitting at Mac's dinner table when a call would come
in from Hamilton asking if there was any new
information from Tyree. "Not yet, " McCoy would
answer, "I'll call as soon as I get something."

"How," I asked, "could a guy in a maximum security
prison like Walpole State Penitentiary in
Massachusetts be getting information of such quality
that someone like Hamilton would be calling urgently
to see what had come in?" "That," answered McCoy was
the work of someone known only as "The Sergeant
Major," and alternately as "His Eminence" who fed the
information to Tyree, who in turn fed it to McCoy, who
then passed it on to Hamilton. Sometimes however,
Tyree and Hamilton communicated directly. To this day
the identity of the Sergeant Major remains a mystery
and the puzzle piece most pursued by the RCMP when
they visited me in August, 2000.

It was also not by coincidence then that, in the same
winter of 94-95, McCoy revealed to me that he was
using former Green Berets to conduct physical
surveillance of the Washington, D.C. offices of
Microsoft in connection with the Promis case. FTW has,
within the last month, received information indicating
that piracy of Microsoft products at the GE Aerospace
Herndon facility were likely tied to larger
objectives, possibly the total compromise of any
Windows based product. It is not by chance that most
of the military and all of the intelligence agencies
in the U.S. now operate on Macintosh systems.

In late 1996 Tyree mailed me a detailed set of
diagrams and a lengthy narrative explaining the exact
hows and whys of the murder of Danny Casolaro and an
overall view of the Promis saga that is not only
consistent with what is described by Seymour in The
Last Circle but also provides many new details. Asked
about Mike Riconosciuto for this story Tyree would say
only that, "He's very good at what he does. There are
very, very few who can touch him, maybe 200 in the
whole world. Riconosciuto's in a class all by
himself." Those documents, as later described to me by
RCMP Investigator Sean McDade, proved to be "Awesome
and right on the money."

The essence of those documents was that, not only had
the Republicans under Meese exploited the software,
but that the Democrats had also seen its potential and
moved years earlier. Nowhere was this connection more
clearly exposed than in understanding the relationship
between three classmates from the U.S. Naval Academy:
Jimmy Carter, Stansfield Turner (Carter's CIA
director), and billionaire banker and Presidential
kingmaker (Carter's Annapolis roommate), Arkansas'
Jackson Stephens. The Tyree diagrams laid out in
detail how Promis, after improvement with AI, had
allegedly been mated with the software of Jackson
Stephens' firm Systematics. In the late seventies and
early eighties, Systematics handled some 60-70% of all
electronic banking transactions in the U.S. The goal,
according to the diagrams which laid out (subsequently
verified) relationships between Stephens, Worthen
Bank, the Lippo Group and the drug/intelligence bank
BCCI was to penetrate every banking system in the
world. This "cabal" could then use Promis both to
predict and to influence the movement of financial
markets worldwide. Stephens, truly bipartisan in his
approach to profits, has been a lifelong supporter of
George Bush and he was, at the same time, the source
of the $3 million loan that rescued a faltering
Clinton Campaign in early 1992. There is a great
photograph of Stephens with a younger George "W" Bush
in the excellent BCCI history, False Profits.

In the fall of 1997, Bill McCoy, having recently gone
off of his heart medication was found dead in his
favorite chair. In the days and weeks before he had
been advised by Tyree that a Pakistani hit man, on an
Israeli contract had been in the states seeking to
fulfill a hit on McCoy. There had been other hints
that someone closer to McCoy might do the job. Tyree
recently told FTW that just before his death, he had
given McCoy information on "Elbit" flash memory chips,
allegedly designed at Kir Yat-Gat south of Tel Aviv.
The unique feature of the Elbit chips was that they
worked on ambient electricity in a computer. In other
words, they worked when the computer was turned off.
When combined with another newly developed chip, the
"Petrie," which was capable of storing up to six
months worth of key strokes, it was now possible to
burst transmit all of a computer's activity in the
middle of the night to a nearby receiver - say in a
passing truck or even a low flying SIGINT (Signals
Intelligence) satellite. According to Tyree this was
the methodology used by Jonathan Pollard and the
Israeli Mossad to compromise many foreign embassies in
Washington.

Within 48 hours of his death Bill McCoy had been
cremated and in less than four days all of Mac's
furniture, records and personal belongings had been
removed from his home by his son, a full Colonel in
the Army. The house had been sanitized and repainted
and, aside from the Zen garden in the back yard, there
was no trace that McCoy had ever lived there.

Harvard and HUD

Former Assistant Secretary of Housing, Catherine
Austin Fitts has had about as much ink in FTW as
anyone else. A feisty, innovative thinker she has seen
raging success as a Managing Director of the Wall
Street investment bank Dillon Read and she has been
"nuked" into near poverty after devising software
strategies seeking to optimize financial data and
returns for the US taxpayer. While acting as a HUD
consultant in 1996, selling defaulted HUD Mortgages
into the private market through her own investment
bank, Hamilton Securities (no relation), she achieved
unheard of taxpayer returns of around 90 cents on the
dollar. In doing so she ran afoul of an entrenched
Washington financial power structure feeding
uncompetitively at the HUD trough.

Last month we described how Fitts devised a data
optimization method using hand coding by residents of
a HUD Housing project in Washington to produce
Promis-like results. She successfully "mapped" the
flow of HUD money and was about to create proprietary
software that would make the job easier. That software
would have integrated billions of pieces of
disorganized HUD financial data. Suddenly, in August
1996, DoJ and HUD Inspector’s General investigations
started that seized her computers and resulted in a
four-year blatantly illegal campaign to crush
everything she stood for. No charges were ever
brought, Fitts, her money and her data are still
viciously separated.

One of the empires Fitts threatened was that of the
Harvard Endowment. The Harvard Endowment is not really
a benevolent university fund but an aggressive
investment predator with $19 billion in assets, some
from HUD subsidized housing. Harvard also has a number
of other investments in high tech defense operations
and had a big hand in investing George W Bush’s
lackluster firm Harken Energy. "W" has a Harvard MBA.
Fitts’ chief nemesis at Harvard, Herbert "Pug"
Winokur, head of Capricorn Investments, and member of
the board of the Harvard Endowment is also a PhD
mathematician from Harvard where the mathematical
breakthroughs that gave rise to Artificial
Intelligence using block-modeling research were
discovered. In the 60s Winokur had done social science
research for the Department of Defense on causes of
inner city unrest in the wake of the 1967 Detroit
riots.

The pioneering research at Harvard that allegedly gave
rise to the Artificial Intelligence installed in
Promis later moved north. According to a Harvard
website (www.analytichtech.comb/mb119/chap2e.htm)
"Much of the effort of the Harvard group - no longer
based solely at Harvard - was centered on the
International Network for Social Network Analysis
(INSNA) at Toronto...". Things grew more suspicious as
Fitts’ research disclosed that Winokur, through
Capricorn Investments, had a decisive role in the
1980s management of the intelligence/government
outsourcing mega-firm DynCorp, of Reston, VA. Winokur
served as DynCorp CEO from 1989 to 1997. DynCorp
handles everything for Uncle Sam from aircraft
maintenance, to sheep-dipping of combat troops into
private assault forces in Colombia, to the financial
management of HUD records, to the maintenance of
computer security at government facilities. One of
DynCorp’s most interesting contracts is with the DoJ
for the financial management of assets seized in the
drug war. DynCorp also counts among its shareholders
former CIA Director James Woolsey. Pug Winokur made
DynCorp what it is today and he still sits on the
board.

In juxtaposition, Harvard and HUD differ in one
striking respect according to Fitts. The Harvard
Endowment has enjoyed wildly uncharacteristic above
market tax-free returns for the last decade, (33% in
1999), while HUD, in the same year, was compelled to
do a "manual adjustments" to reconcile a $59 billion
shortfall between its accounts and the U.S. Treasury
account. [This is not a typographical error]. Where
did all that money go? $59 billion in an election year
is a staggering amount of money. Why is no one
screaming? HUD's explanation is that it was loading a
new accounting system that did not work and then did
not bother to balance its checkbook for over a year.

I was not surprised when Bill Hamilton confirmed to
both Fitts and to me that Winokur’s DynCorp had played
a role in the evolution of Promis in the 1980s. One
other surprise was to come out of Fitts’
investigations that had months earlier led her to
conclude that she was up against Promis-related
interests. On the very day that DoJ and HUD shut her
down she was discussing software development with a
Canadian firm that is at the heart of the Canadian
space program, Geomatics. The term Geomatics applies
to a related group of sciences - all involving
satellite imagery - used to develop geographic
information systems, global positioning systems and
remote sensing from space that can actually determine
the locations of natural resources such as oil,
precious metals and other commodities.

Apparently centered in Canada, the Geomatics industry
offers consulting services throughout the world in
English, German, Russian, French, Arabic, Spanish and
Chinese. Geomatics technology, launched aboard
Canadian satellites via US, European or Japanese
boosters can help developing or industrialized nations
inventory and manage all of their natural resources.
There are also several Geomatics related companies in
the U.S. including one not far from the Johnson Space
center in Houston.

This situation is custom made for enhanced Promis
software with back-door technology. What better way to
map and inventory all of the world’s resources than by
making each client nation pay for the work. By
providing the client nation Promis-based software it
would then be possible to compile a global data base
of every marketable natural resource. And it would not
be necessary to even touch the resources because
commodities and futures markets exist for all of them.
An AI enhanced, Promis-based program would then be the
perfect set up to make billions of dollars in profits
by watching and manipulating the world’s political
climate to trade in, let’s say Tungsten futures. Such
a worldwide database would be even more valuable if
there were, for example, a sudden surge in the price
of gold or platinum.

Bill Hamilton readily agreed that this was an ideal
situation for the application of Promis technology. In
furthering our research on Geomatics we discovered
that almost everywhere Geomatics technology went we
also found Lockheed-Martin.

Enter The Mounties

Thanks to a strong push in my direction from Cheri
Seymour, the Mounties and Hercules PD Homicide
Detective Sue Todd arrived at my door on August 3rd.
They had already consumed most of the FTW web site and
were well familiar with my writings. I had let them
know, through Cheri, that I did have information on
Promis from Bill Tyree and that I would be happy to
share it. Before getting into details we all went out
for lunch at a nearby Chinese restaurant.

In setting basic outlines for our conversations that
day I indicated that, as a journalist, I viewed our
discussions as off-the-record. I took no notes and did
not tape record any of the discussion. I am recounting
the events now only after corresponding with McDade
and advising him of my intention to write. He
responded and did not object. I took the same position
with Detective Todd. I warned the Mounties and Todd at
the outset that a sudden termination of their
investigations was likely and that they would all
become expendable. It happened to me once.

Over lunch the Mounties were quite candid about the
fact that the RCMP had Promis software and that it
even went by the name Promis. I think they may have
also mentioned the name PIRS which is an acknowledged
system in the RCMP network. They stated that they had
been given their version of Promis by the Canadian
Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS).

CSIS was an intelligence breakaway from the Mounties
in 1984, intended to be a pure [sic] intelligence
agency. It was created largely with the expertise and
assistance of the CIA. All of us understood two things
about that arrangement and we discussed them openly.
First, there was a question as to whether or not any
intelligence service created by the CIA could be
completely loyal to its native country. Secondly, it
was also understood that there was a rivalry between
the two agencies similar to the one that existed
between the FBI and the CIA, or in a larger context,
the Clinton gang and the Bush gang in the US. The
chief concern of the Mounties, clearly, was to
ascertain whether or not their version of Promis was
one that was compromised. McDade also described in
detail how he knew that supposedly secure RCMP
communications equipment had been compromised by the
NSA. The Mounties acknowledged regular meetings with
Cheri Seymour but evinced none of the interest she
said that they had previously shown in the Mossad.
With me their single-minded focus was Bill Tyree and
where and how he obtained his information.

Sue Todd, confirmed for me suspicions that there was
an unspoken alliance between the RCMP investigators
and the FBI. She said that during the course of her
three years of efforts to solve the double murder in
Hercules, she had routinely visited FBI offices and
enjoyed access to FBI files relative to both the
Promis investigation and anything connected to her
victims. That information was obviously being shared
with the Mounties and that implied the blessings of
the FBI. In short, a domestic law enforcement officer
was sharing information with agents of a foreign
government. In some cases that could provoke espionage
charges but in this case it was apparently sanctioned.
The Hercules murder victims had no apparent connection
to Promis software in any way except for the fact that
Riconosciuto had possessed knowledge about the murders
which he had provided to Todd from prison. The
Hercules Armament Corporation, featured in The Last
Circle, was an obvious link. I also noted that the
father in Todd's case had been a computer engineer
with passions for both geological research and
hypnosis and no other visible connections to the
Promis story.

As we copied Tyree's papers and went through other
materials the next day I was aware that the Canadians
expressed special interest in Jackson Stephens and
anything having to do with the manipulation of
financial markets. They asked for copies of news
reports I had showing that General Wesley Clark, the
recently retired NATO Commander, has just gone to work
for Stephens, Inc. in Little Rock Arkansas. I also
provided documents showing that Stephens' financial
firm Alltel, heir to Systematics, was moving heavily
into the mortgage market. As the Mounties repeatedly
pressed for information on the identity of the
Sergeant Major I referred them to Tyree directly
through his attorney Ray Kohlman and to Tyree's
closest friend, the daughter of CIA bagman and
paymaster Albert Carone, Dee Ferdinand. [For more on
Carone visit the FTW web site].

McDade did eventually contact Ferdinand by phone and
shortly thereafter one of the most bizarre twists in
the whole story took place.

About a week after meeting the Mounties I heard back
from Sean that the Tyree documents and flow charts
from 1996 had been right on the money. A special
recurring theme in those documents that meshes with
Seymour's research is the fact that modified versions
of Promis software with both artificial intelligence
and trap doors were being smuggled out of Los Alamos
nuclear labs in containers labeled as radioactive
waste. According to Tyree and other sources, after an
Indian reservation, the safest place in the world that
no one will ever break into is a nuclear waste dump.
This also applies to containers in transit between
countries. The radioactive warning label guarantees
unmolested movement of virtually anything. Promis
software is apparently no exception.

Bill Casey and Al Carone from the Grave

Albert Vincent Carone has also been covered
exhaustively in FTW, both in the newsletter and on the
web site. A retired NYPD Detective, also a made-member
of the Genovese crime family, Carone spent his entire
working career as a CIA operative. (FTW has special
reports on both Bill Tyree and Al Carone available
from the web site or at the end of this newsletter).
For more than 25 years before his mysterious death in
1990, Al Carone served as a bagman and liaison between
George Bush, CIA Director Bill Casey, Oliver North,
Richard Nixon and many other prominent figures
including Robert Vesco, Manuel Noriega and Ferdinand
Marcos. The Carone-Tyree connection, covered in detail
in the Sept. 1998 issue (Vol. I, No.7) goes back to
operations in the mid 1970s when Tyree, serving with
the Special Forces, engaged in CIA directed missions
for which Carone was the paymaster.

Carone's death from "chemical toxicity of unknown
etiology" in 1990 resulted in the sanitizing of all of
his military and NYPD records as well as the theft and
disappearance of nearly ten million dollars in bank
accounts, insurance policies and investments.
Virtually overnight, almost every record of Carone
disappeared leaving his daughter and her family nearly
bankrupt under the burden of tens of thousands of
dollars in medical bills. In 1996, Carone's daughter,
Dee Ferdinand, discovered that Tyree and Carone had
known each other and that Tyree could prove
instrumental in helping to restore Carone's lost
fortune. Ferdinand filed suit in U.S. District Court
this spring seeking to recover pensions, insurance
policies and benefits in a case which has no known
connection to Promis. I have known Ferdinand and her
family for more than seven years. Never once has she
mentioned a connection between her father and Promis
although she was well familiar with the case from
Tyree and conversations with Bill Hamilton. I had
referred the Mounties to her because of my belief that
she could possibly help identify Tyree's source, the
Sergeant Major.

On August 10th, exactly one week after the Mounties
came to see me, the DoJ mailed Ferdinand a response to
her suit seeking dismissal. Included in the paperwork
was a bizarre document, now in FTW's possession, that,
by the account of both Ferdinand and her lawyer, had
absolutely nothing to do with her case. The document
in question was a March 29, 1986 Declaration from CIA
Director William Casey, a close friend of the Carone
family. Paragraph 6 of that document (prepared for
another case) stated, "Two of the documents responsive
to Plaintiffs' Request No 1, specifically the one-page
letter dated 28 March 1979 and a one-page letter dated
8 January 1980, have been released in the same excised
form as they were previously released by the
Government of Canada. I independently and formally
assert the state secrets privilege for the information
excised from these two documents."

Dee Ferdinand called me immediately. The letter had
nothing to do with her suit. It mentioned Canada.
Canada was not even mentioned in her suit. What was
going on?" she asked. "It's blackmail," I answered.
"CIA, which is monitoring everything the Canadians do,
everything I do, everything you do, knows that I will
tell the Mounties of these letters." McDade didn't
grasp the concept at first. He was a straight-ahead
street cop. But I had been through something similar
when serving as the press spokesman for the Perot
Presidential campaign in 1992. I explained it to Sean,
"Sean, you and I are just the messengers. But I
guarantee that at some level of your government the
CIA's reference to these letters will scare people to
death. It is a reminder that CIA has them."

A week later McDade told me that the dates were indeed
significant - very significant. That's all he would
say.

FTW has what may be a possible explanation for the
dates in question. The President and CIA Director on
these dates the letters were written were Jimmy Carter
and Stansfield Turner. Aside from the then recent
Russian invasion of Afghanistan, a saga in which the
Canadian government played a minor role, the largest
drama on the world scene was the overthrow of the Shah
of Iran in January 1979, the rise of the Ayatollah
Khomeini and the seizure of the U.S. Embassy in
Teheran later that year. The Canadian government and
the CIA worked very closely in Iran, the Canadian
Embassy even housing some CIA personnel who had
escaped the crowds of students. But that kind of
assistance is not something to hide. Another
explanation was needed to explain shock waves in
Ottawa.

Recently, a source using a code name known to FTW has
surfaced with information relating to Promis. In his
communiqués he describes the use of Promis software by
the Bush family to loot the secret bank accounts of
Manuel Noriega and Ferdinand Marcos. Promis is able to
do this because funds can be transferred out of
accounts without a trace. Remember the trap door? The
rule of thumb here is that crooks, especially CIA
sponsored crooks, don't usually go to the cops when
somebody steals their stolen money. From my personal
experience in the era, and direct exposure to two
members of the Iranian Royal family, both before and
after the overthrow, I am acutely aware that the Shah,
then perhaps the richest man in the world, was
actually targeted by the CIA. His downfall was no
accident. Once worth more than $20 billion, the Shah
ended his life a refugee in Egypt. Many of his
billions disappeared and the family was very upset
about it.

Could the financial power of Promis have been turned
loose first through Canada when Carter was President
in the US? The Shah did a lot of banking in Canada. We
may never know the answer. But if the downfalls of
wealthy US supported dictators Noriega and Marcos are
any indication the answer is likely, yes. And the Shah
was wealthier than both of them put together. Where'd
all that money go?

Headlines

On August 25th the Toronto Star broke what was to
become a series of stories by Valerie Lawson and Allan
Thompson. The cat was out of the bag. Various figures
known to have direct connections to Riconosciuto had
been virtually dogging the Mounties' every move as
they traveled in the US. One even contacted me just
days after the Mounties left LA. It was a story that
could not be kept under wraps forever. Most of the
Star story was accurate. It was going to be difficult
for the RCMP to move quietly now. A Reuters story the
same day closed with the following paragraphs,
"Canada’s national counterintelligence agency said in
a June report that friendly nations were making
concerted efforts to steal sensitive technology and
information.

"The Canadian Security Intelligence Service said
outsiders were particularly interested in aerospace,
biotechnology, chemicals, communications, information
technology, mining and metallurgy, nuclear energy, oil
and gas, and the environment." That was Geomatics, at
the heart of Canada's space program, Canada's flagship
space technology. I checked the Star story. There had
been no mention of high tech or space related issues.
What did Reuters know? In mid September, after
receiving confidential source documents related to the
case telling me that one version of Promis, modified
in Canada was handled through the Canadian firm I.P.
Sharp, I got an answer. A quick search on the web
revealed that Sharp, a well documented component of
the case, had been bought by a Reuters company in the
early 90s. Hamilton later told me that he had heard
that Reuters possibly had the Promis software. That
would explain how they knew about the aerospace
connection.

Michael Dobbs of The Washington Post called and asked
what I knew. I confirmed that I had met with the
Mounties but didn't know much else other than giving
them the Tyree flow charts. The Post was never going
to tell the truth. Their business was keeping secrets,
not revealing them. The Mounties had made waves.

On August 28 the phone rang and it was a collect call
from Tyree. "Get a tape recorder and turn it on," he
said. Over the course of the next half an hour Tyree,
obviously reading from detailed and copious notes,
named individuals and companies dealing with Promis
software and its progeny. The tape was specific down
to naming specific engineers in military and private
corporations doing Promis research. Tyree described
specific Congressional committees that had been
infiltrated with "enhanced" Promis. Tyree described
how Promis progeny, having inspired four new computer
languages had made possible the positioning of
satellites so far out in space that they were
untouchable. At the same time the progeny had improved
video quality to the point where the same satellite
could focus on a single human hair. The ultimate big
picture.

Promis progeny had also evolved to the point where
neural pads could be attached to plugs in the back of
the human head and thought could be translated into
electrical impulses that would be equally capable of
flying a plane or wire transferring money. Names like
Sandia, Cal-Tech, Micron, Tech University of Graz,
Oded Leventer and Massimo Grimaldi rolled from his
lips as he tore through the pages of notes. Data, such
as satellite reconnaissance, could also now be
downloaded from a satellite directly into a human
brain. The evolution of the artificial intelligence
had progressed to a point where animal behavior and
thought were being decoded. Mechanical humans were
being tested. Animals were being controlled by
computer.

Billy saved Canada for last.

"Here's how we fuck Canada," he started. He was
laughing as he facetiously described what was coming
as some sort of bizarre payback for the War of 1812.
Then, placing the evolutions of Promis in context with
the Canadian story Tyree asked a question as to why
one would really now need to go to all the trouble of
monitoring all of a foreign country's intelligence
operations. "There's an easier way to get what I
want," he said. "I access their banks. I access their
banks and I know who does what and who's getting ready
to do what," he said. He described how Canada had been
provided with modified Promis software which Canada
then modified, or thought they had modified, again to
eliminate the trap door. That software turned loose in
the financial and scientific communities then became
Canada's means of believing that they were securing
the trap door information from the entities to whom
they provided their versions of Promis. But, unknown,
to the Canadians the Elbit chips in the systems
bypassed the trap doors and permitted the transmission
of data when everyone thought the computers were
turned off and secure. Tyree did not explain how the
chips physically got into the Canadian computers.

"This," Tyree said "is how you cripple everything
Canada does that you don't like. And if you want proof
I offer you the fact that we toppled the government of
Australia in 1980." "[Prime Minister] Gough Whitlam
and Nugan Hand [Bank]," I answered. Tyree affirmed.
The Labor Government of Whitlam had been suddenly
unseated after making nationalistic noise and
questioning the role of US intelligence agencies in
Australian affairs.

The issue of a coming feud between the dollar and the
Euro came up. I suggested that rapidly vanishing
support in South America and Europe both were
threatening the military operations of "Plan Colombia"
and the economic boost it would give the US economy.
Tyree jumped in, "If I can put Canada in line and show
the Eurodollar, the 'Eurotrash' what I have already
done to my neighbor, whom I value to some degree -
remember, these are not nice people - these are
financial thugs at their worst. So what they are going
to do is sit down discreetly and say, 'Look, this is
what we did to Canada. Now, would you like us to do
this to the European market as well?' Mike, they're
not going to think twice about it… A weapon is only
good if someone knows what its capability is. Prior to
using the atomic bomb it was irrelevant." He
continued, "They refer to it as the Nagasaki
Syndrome."

After describing in some detail how the financial
powers-that-be had gutted American manufacturing
productivity through globalization he described a
strategy intended to halt any move by the Euro to
overshadow the dollar or even compete with it. It was
pure economic hostage taking and Canada would be the
object lesson. Then, chillingly, he described
something familiar to any military strategist. The
penetration and looting of HUD was the test bed, the
proving ground, the "White Sands" of the Promis
economic Atom bomb. Once the CIA and the economic
powers-that-be had proven that, over a period of
years, they could infiltrate and loot $59 billion
dollars from HUD, they knew that they could do it
anywhere. Said Tyree, "Then they knew they had what it
took to go abroad and create mayhem… It was planned
twenty years ago."

It took several days to reach Sean McDade who had been
on vacation. I played the Tyree tape for him over an
open phone line into RCMP headquarters. He asked me to
make a physical copy right away and send it to him.
After he had had time to listen to it he cautioned me
against sending it anywhere else. I told him that as
long as his investigation was active that I would do
nothing more than make the standard copies I make of
any sensitive documents as a precaution. I could tell
that the tape had rattled him. Though I had known from
the start that the large and energetic Mountie, whom I
believed to be a dedicated an honest man, would never
be allowed to ride his case out to the end, I still
had hopes. But in my heart I knew that Tyree was
right. In all the years he had been feeding me
information I had never known him to be wrong and,
apparently, neither had Bill Hamilton. I did not send
a copy of the tape to Hamilton because I knew how
difficult and potentially dangerous McDade's job was
going to be now that the press had exposed him. Having
been a cop in dangerous political, CIA infested waters
I knew what it was like to not know who you could
trust.

If keeping the tape quiet would give the Mounties and
edge I would do it - but only as long as they had a
case.

Sudden Death

Then it was over.

On September 16th the Toronto Star announced that the
RCMP had suddenly closed its Promis investigation with
the flat disclaimer that it did not have and never did
have any version of Bill Hamilton's software. That was
as shocking a statement as it was absurd. "The only
way that you can identify Promis," said a perplexed
Bill Hamilton, "is to compare the code. Sean McDade
said that he was not an engineer and couldn't read
code so how did he know?" Hamilton was as emphatic as
I was that McDade had said that RCMP had Promis. So
was Cheri Seymour. I offered a fleeting hope that the
Mounties were playing a game, saying that they had
terminated the investigation to shake some of the
incessant probing that had been taking place around
McDade's every move.

I was finally convinced when McDade e-mailed me and
said that it was his view that the Mounties did not
have any version of Promis and that he had no
objections if I decided to write a story. I then
agreed with Seymour that, whether they had said so or
not, both the Mounties and Sue Todd had left enough
visible footprints that it was their intention for us
to go public. It might be the only protection they
had.

As I had predicted from the start, they had come too
close to bigger issues and been shut down ruthlessly.
I called Sue Todd who lamented that she was marking
her three year homicide investigation, "Closed by the
press." Even though she was convincing I had the
feeling that she was playing back a rehearsed script.
I told her that I was not satisfied with the
statements that there was no Promis in the RCMP. I
recalled our lunchtime conversation of August 3rd. She
agreed with me that the RCMP mission was to determine
whether or not RCMP Promis was a stolen or compromised
version. She knew that they had it. So did I. I
e-mailed McDade one last time saying that I was going
to write it like I remembered it. He never got back to
me.

Bill Hamilton added one last twist when he told me in
a conversation that the Mounties claimed to have
developed their software on their own. That, he said,
was nonsense because the Mounties did not have that
kind of sophistication or ability. He thought that the
RCMP program had been specially prepared FBI. That
would explain the role of retired FBI agent Ted
Gunderson. Though I didn't tell him at the time I knew
that he had obtained that information from Bill Tyree.
And Bill Tyree and his provider, the Sergeant Major,
are two people that Bill Hamilton and I both have
learned to respect.

Diplomacy

Just three days after the Toronto Star announced the
abrupt termination of the RCMP investigation the
Canada based International Network on Disarmament and
Globalization (INDG) posted an electronic bulletin on
a speech by former Canadian Ambassador to the US. In
an address the night before, less than 48 hours after
the termination of the RCMP investigation, Derek
Burney, current President of CAE, a Canadian firm
manufacturing flight simulators, criticized the U.S.
aerospace industry for being overly-protectionist
under the guise of national security. In addressing
the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada,
according to large stories that appeared in CP
(Canadian Press) and Toronto's Globe and Mail, Burney
was characterized as sounding unusually tough in his
criticism of American policy that was freezing
Canadian firms out of aerospace contracts. Both
stories were ambivalent in that they alternately made
Burney sound critical of the U.S. while championing
Canadian interests and at the same time weak as he
noted that Mexico stood poised under NAFTA to replace
Canada as the U.S.'s number one trading partner.

The CP story made two telling observations. It quoted
Burney as saying that Canada needed to do more to
"preserve and enhance its access to the American
market." Then it closed it's story on Burney's speech,
advocating a compromise agreement between the US and
Canada, by saying that Burney's position "risks being
perceived here at home as a sellout or worse."

A close examination of Burney's remarks, published in
the INDG bulletin revealed something more like an
obsequious surrender rather than a mere sellout. While
there were a few tough-talking paragraphs that saved
Canadian face, the essence of the speech was that
Burney believed that American defense firms, the
largest of which is Lockheed-Martin, were poised to
transfer the bulk of their contracts to companies in
Mexico. Citing Canada's dependence upon access to
American avionics and "databases," Burney painted a
picture that seemingly left Canada over a barrel.
Without access to American technology the Canadian
aerospace industry could not function.

Buried deep in the text of Burney's speech we found
the following paragraph which is, we believe, the best
place to end this story.

"That does not mean that we have to agree with
everything Washington does or says or do things
exactly as the Americans do. On the contrary, one of
the advantages of being a good neighbor and close ally
is that we can speak freely and forthrightly to the
Americans - provided we have a solid case and are
seeking to influence their position and not simply
capture a quick headline. And, never forget, it is
always more effective to be frank in private.
Otherwise your motive can be somewhat suspect."

=====
http://personals.yahoo.com