-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

1661.  Japanese fighters train with U.S. during Cope North

by Master Sgt. Michael Farris
353rd Special Operations Group, Public Affairs

KADENA AIR BASE, Japan (AFPN) -- Japan's air self defense force just
finished training with U.S. Air Force and Marine Corps units to test their
ability to defend Japan in an exercise named Cope North 02-1.

More than 70 people were deployed to join units from the 18th Wing here for
the weeklong drill. At the pinnacle of the exercise, more than 24 aircraft
battled for air supremacy.

"Cope North is all about the defense of Japan," said Col. Don Weckhorst,
605th Air Operations Group commander and exercise director. "Under the
Mutual Defense Treaty, the U.S. is obligated to assist in the defense of
Japan. We're developing the expertise with the Japanese to defend this
country within the framework of that treaty."

The ultimate goal of Cope North is to develop and improve techniques that
enhance bilateral air operations to better provide for the defense of Japan.

Typical training scenarios tested a pilot's ability to defend territory from
intrusion. The first day included two-ship flights defending under peacetime
rules of engagement. As the scenario unfolded, flights involved more
aircraft and wartime rules were introduced.

During Cope North, both Americans and Japanese acted as the attackers.
Pilots rotated to take on the role of the defender, with the objective being
to develop proficiency in the defensive counter-air role.

Following each day's duels, the Japanese pilots engaged in a second, but
more peaceful, face-off with their American allies.

"They sat down, face-to-face, to discuss what happened so those lessons got
hammered home," Weckhorst said. "The aggressor talked about his plan and the
defender spoke of his. Each benefited from the lessons of the mission."

In select scenarios, the interoperability became nearly transparent,
Weckhorst said.

"In some cases, Japanese weapons directors provided advisory control to
assist U.S. fighters, and in other cases U.S. weapons directors controlled
or advised the Japanese fighters," he said.

Because of real-world concerns and unit deployments, the exercise was scaled
back to roughly one-third of its original size and into one week rather than
two. But that did not make it easier on planners like Maj. Anton Komatz.

"We tabled the original plan and started from scratch about a month ago," he
said. "We compressed an eight-month project into about three weeks. Fifth
Air Force and all the units involved demonstrated a great deal of
flexibility to get this exercise off the ground and in the books."

After more than 250 sorties, hours of spin-ups and debriefings, tactics talk
and lessons learned, American and Japanese pilots are better prepared to
defend this country -- together.

"Cope North is both a challenging and educational event," said Brig. Gen.
Gary North, 18th Wing commander. "Tankers, AWACS, fighters and all the
support elements from both countries have worked hard toward enhancing their
combat capabilities. Exercising our combined skills here gives us the chance
to work on our relationships both in the air and on the ground."  (Courtesy
of Pacific Air Forces News Service)

1662.  Kadena flight provides air picture for exercise

by Master Sgt. Michael Farris
353rd Special Operations Group Public Affairs

NAHA AIR BASE, Japan (AFPN) -- There is not a lot of room in a fighter
cockpit to unfold a road map.  Fortunately, maps were not required during
this year's Cope North exercise which tests the military might necessary to
defend Japan.

Instead of maps, exercise participants relied on weapons directors from the
623rd Air Control Flight at Kadena Air Base, Japan, who can see for miles
using a system of ground-based radars.  The radars provide a
three-dimensional air picture to aid in the defense of Japan.

Working out of the Southwestern Direction Center here, the 623rd's Theater
Control Operations Team helped pilots with their real-time situational
awareness. Employed in conjunction with airborne warning and control system
aircraft from the 961st Airborne Air Control Squadron and the Japanese air
self-defense force, this integrated air defense system provides the command
and control necessary to effectively employ air power.

Weapons directors identify and track all aircraft in assigned sectors around
the island. Much like the AWACS, their ground-based scopes display the
progress of a battle while directors provide information to pilots about how
many bad guys are out there, where they are, and the status of friendly
forces.

Maj. John Askew, commander of the 623rd ACF, said pilots could have an
increasingly limited view of the "big picture" as they become engaged with
an adversary.

"The pilots obviously have ultimate control of the weapons," Askew said.
"Our job is to provide information that's unavailable in the cockpit to
allow them to make better and more timely decisions -- in short, to keep
their situational awareness as high as possible."

During normal training, U.S. weapons directors only control American
aircraft while the Japanese control their own planes. Cope North gives the
directors the opportunity to control planes flying each other's flag. These
indirect advisory missions provide invaluable training and a better
understanding of each other's combat capability, said exercise officials.

Capt. Kazuhiro Chiba, from the Japan air self-defense force's Southwestern
Air Defense Squadron, said it is important for the United States and Japan
to work together on controlling the skies over Japan.

"Our countries have a security treaty and if something were to happen, we
would fight together," he said. "It's good training."

"They're very good at what they do," said Tech. Sgt. Richard Lyon, a 623rd
weapons director. "Their procedures are different than ours and it sometimes
gets confusing, but overall, our cross-controlling went well."

Staff Sgt. Carly Biddick, who has been a weapons director for three years,
agrees with Lyon.

"The Japanese employ their planes differently than we do," she said. "In
addition to speaking a (different) language, the Japanese directors had to
learn a new set of jargon to speak to our pilots. It wasn't easy."

American E-3 and Japanese E-767 AWACS planes extend the air picture for
hundreds of miles by taking their airborne weapons systems more than 25,000
feet above the battlefield. The Theater Control Operations Team completes
Kadena's one-two punch of ground and air-based command and control that
allow pilots to leave the maps at home. (Courtesy of Pacific Air Forces News
Service)

1660.  Recruiting Web site adds interactive features

ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AFPN) -- To attract more young people, Air Force
Reserve Command recruiters launched a redesigned state-of-the-art Web site,
adding many new interactive features and a more personal experience for the
visitor.

The revamped Web site -- www.afreserve.com -- went online in October. It is
geared toward 17 to 34 year-olds with no prior military service, as well as
people with prior service experience from all military branches.

 "The original Web site had been online for almost three years without a
major redesign," said Chief Master Sgt. Eric Snipes, chief of the
advertising branch for AFRC Recruiting Service here.  "We wanted to
incorporate the newest innovations in Web site architecture and provide a
state-of-the-art experience for our users.  We added many new interactive
features that cater to the Web-savvy young adult."

Some of the new features include links to interactive mission profiles,
which describe numerous Air Force missions and jobs; benefits; eligibility
requirements for joining the Reserve; and the "basics" of basic military
training.  Other features are a news and events section, links to aircraft
data and a revised base locator page with interactive introductions to
Reserve flying wings nationwide.

The site also has a section for prior-service military people, enabling them
to review personal testimonials from other prior-service people from all
military branches.

The redesign has expanded the Web site's level of service by providing a
larger amount of information in an easy-to-access format, Snipes said.

Development of the Web site was a collaborative effort involving AFRC
Recruiting Service's advertising branch and the offices of TMP Worldwide,
which designed and oversees www.afreserve.com  (Courtesy of AFRC News
Service)

1659.  Statue honors Vietnam veteran

by Master Sgt. Ken Carter
Air Force Academy Public Affairs

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AFPN) -- A war hero, flying ace and survivor of
seven and-a-half years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam was recognized with a
permanent statue in his honor here Nov. 16.

Retired Brig. Gen. Robinson Risner, who flew in World War II, the Korean War
and the Vietnam conflict, said the special attention leaves him awe-struck.

"I'm a bit embarrassed to have been chosen for the statue here that
represents all POWs," he said.  "It still leaves me in awe."

H. Ross Perot donated the 9-foot statue, which is on display in the Air
Garden here.

"All men who served with him in Vietnam in the prison camps, when they came
home and talked to me, would point to him (Risner) and say, 'He's the only
reason I survived,'" Perot said.

As the former POWs told stories about Risner, one story kept coming up,
Perot said.

In violation of Vietnamese POW rules, Risner, who was the senior officer
within the camp,  set up church services complete with hymns prisoners wrote
on toilet tissue. In the middle of a hymn, the Vietnamese came in and
grabbed Risner to take him back to solitary confinement.  As he was led
away, fellow POWs stood and sang a "strictly forbidden song," Perot said.
"That song was the 'Star Spangled Banner.'"

Risner told Perot years later that, at that moment, pride in his men made
him "feel nine feet tall and as though he could have gone bear hunting with
a switch."

Placement of the statue here will remind cadets what an Air Force officer is
supposed to be, Perot said.

4053.  Commentary:  What's your favorite color?

by Sementha Mathews
347th Wing Public Affairs

MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AFPN) -- "Mommy, what's your favorite color?"
asked my 8-year-old daughter, Noelani, while coloring another picture to add
to the collage on my kitchen cabinets.

"I don't have a favorite, I like them all," is my usual reply since she
began asking me a thousand times ago.  Usually, she anticipates my answer
and just smiles an "I thought you'd say that" smile.

Today, she placed her crayon down for a moment, shocked that I had finally
changed my mind.

"Red, white and blue," I responded this time.  "Yes, I believe that's my
favorite color."

"But that's three colors, Mommy," she said.  Technically, she was right.
But how can you separate one from the others?

Since the Continental Congress' decision on June 14, 1777, the colors have
proudly been those of our beloved American flag.  Although no one knows with
absolute certainty, many historians believe Congressman Francis Hopkinson
actually designed the flag, and Betsy Ross, a Philadelphia seamstress, sewed
the first one together.

Nevertheless, the "Old Red, White and Blue" has become a proud symbol of
this great nation.

The symbolic colors of the flag were explained in a book published by the
House of Representatives in 1989 entitled "Our Flag."

White signifies purity and innocence; red signifies hardiness and valor; and
blue signifies vigilance, perseverance and justice.

Francis Scott Key, whose words gave birth to "The Star-Spangled Banner," our
national anthem, is said to have penned his famous words while witnessing
the British attack on Fort McHenry, Md., during the War of 1812, and the
flag flying victoriously in the distance.  The conclusion of the third verse
states, "And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph doth wave, o'er the land of
the free, and the home of the brave."

Who could not adore those colors -- red, white and blue?  Though separate in
their boldness of hue, they unite in a pattern of stars and stripes
universally known for this country and its people.  It's the color of
freedom.  It's the color of bravery.  It's the color of victory.

I love them so much.  I have decorated almost everything I own in them, from
my screen saver to my T-shirt.  I have the flag displayed in front of my
home, one hanging in every window, and one on my car antenna.  I'm wearing a
flag pin on my collar.  Even my daughter's shoelaces display the flag colors
wherever she goes.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who favors the colors.  A recent trip to
Florida took me through some backcountry roads, in some cases in the middle
of what seemed like nowhere, where I was delighted to see my favorite color
on almost every door and mailbox.

The events of Sept. 11 have made us, as a people, more patriotic than I can
remember, and the colors, seemingly "in" again, are displayed on anything
imaginable ... including my kitchen cabinet.

"You know what, Mommy?" my daughter said, proudly displaying for me her
newest masterpiece:  the American flag.  "That's my favorite color too!"

Write to same address to be off lists!