-Caveat Lector-

excerpts from : http://www.valleyadvocate.com/articles/freespeech.html

The government declares war on civil liberties.

By Hank Hoffman

The American Airlines ticket clerk at Bangor International Airport in Maine
handed Nancy Oden her ticket. She had waited what she says was an "inordinate
amount of time" while the ticket agent typed and responded to computer
prompts. Oden thought it odd that the clerk never asked for any
identification after she gave her name. It was Thursday, Nov. 1, and Oden--a
longtime peace and environmental activist, organic farmer and leader in Green
Party USA (the more radical wing of the American Green movement)--was heading
for a party confab in Chicago. She was scheduled to speak the next night on
biochemical warfare....

She never got there.

She believes she was prevented from flying because of her antiwar and
activist politics. Oden's experience and the anecdotal accounts of political
oppression from people like her across the country indicate we face the worst
crisis in civil liberties in almost half a century.

After accepting her ticket, Oden noticed it was marked with a big "S." When
she asked the clerk what the "S" stood for, he told her she had been picked
to have her bags searched. That's fine, Oden thought. I'm as subject to a
random search as the next person. But then she paused.

"I looked him in the eye and said, 'This wasn't random, was it?'" recalls
Oden in a phone interview several days later. "He looked at me for a second
and said, 'No, you're flagged in our computer. You were going to be searched
no matter what.'"....

According to Oden, a young National Guardsman yelled at her to "Bring those
bags over here!" and "Hurry up!" when she didn't move fast enough. When she
reached out to help undo a recalcitrant zipper for one of the women searching
her bags, the Guardsman barked, "Get your hands out of there!"

The National Guardsman then grabbed Oden's arm and started "spouting pro-war
stuff in my face," she says. She found this odd. How did he know her antiwar
views? She wasn't wearing any buttons.

"He went on and on, saying 'Don't you know we have to get them before they
get us? Don't you understand what happened on Sept. 11?'"....

The Guardsman would not let Oden board the plane, claiming she didn't
cooperate with the search. Oden insists she did. At one point in the ordeal,
the 61-year-old, conservatively dressed Oden was surrounded by six
machine-gun-toting Guardsmen. The military men told all the airlines
servicing the Bangor airport not to allow Oden to fly on that day (and
possibly other days). An airport policeman escorted her off the premises....

Oden has never been arrested in 30 years of activism. She bought her ticket
online six weeks in advance, using a personal credit card--not a terrorist
profile. She believes she was singled out for political reasons.....

Several hundred people have been detained secretly by the government since
Sept. 11....  says the situation is "frighteningly close to the practice of
'disappearing' people in Latin America." While the comparison may be extreme,
the policy of arresting people and spiriting them away to unknown places
without access to lawyers and court appearances is unprecedented in
contemporary America.....

As reported in the Philadelphia City Paper, Neil Godfrey, a 22-year-old
Philadelphia man, was barred from a flight to Phoenix to visit his parents
because officials didn't like his choice of reading material. Godfrey had a
copy of the Edward Abbey novel Hayduke Lives!, about a radical
environmentalist; the cover shows a man's hand holding sticks of dynamite....

While the red, white and blue flourishes on school grounds, Katie Sierra, a
West Virginia high school student, was barred from wearing a T-shirt bearing
the message: "When I saw the dead and dying Afghani children on TV, I felt a
renewed sense of national security. God Bless America." ....

Several nonviolent antiwar demonstrators arrested at an unpermitted march in
Hartford on Oct. 25 were charged not with the usual misdemeanor offenses
common in these instances but with felonies carrying multi-year prison terms
on conviction.....

"We're talking about probably the most serious moment I've seen except maybe
the height of the McCarthy period in this country," says Ratner. "I think
they're conceptualizing this as a permanent war against terrorism and using
that as a way of undercutting democratic governance."....