Date sent:              Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:21:02 -0500 (EST)
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                LP RELEASE: Marijuana arrests
From:                   Libertarian Party Announcements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

===============================
NEWS FROM THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY
2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Suite 100
Washington DC 20037
World Wide Web: http://www.LP.org
===============================
For release: November 30, 2001
===============================
For additional information:
George Getz, Press Secretary
Phone: (202) 333-0008 Ext. 222
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================

Why did police arrest 734,498 pot-smokers,
instead of tracking murderous terrorists?

WASHINGTON, DC -- American law enforcement is guilty of something
close to "criminal neglect" for arresting 734,498 people for marijuana
violations last year -- instead of investigating and stopping
murderous terrorists, the Libertarian Party said today.

"Thousands of innocent Americans may be dead because law enforcement
considered it more important to raid college frat parties and arrest
people for smoking marijuana than to find and stop the deadly
terrorist 'sleeper' cells that were plotting the greatest mass murder
in American history," said Steve Dasbach, the party's national
director.

"You just have to wonder: If the tens of thousands of law enforcement
officers, the millions of man-hours, and the billions of dollars that
were spent monitoring, investigating, arresting, charging, processing,
jailing, and bringing to trial non-violent marijuana users had been
used, instead, for anti-terrorist activities -- could the September 11
atrocity have been prevented?"

That question has become especially crucial now that the National
Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) has released new
figures showing that marijuana arrests in 2000 hit an all-time record.

According to figures collected from the Federal Bureau of
Investigation's Uniform Crime Report, police arrested an estimated
734,498 people for marijuana violations last year. That's up from the
704,812 Americans who were arrested in 1999 on marijuana-related
charges.

Of the almost three-quarters of a million people arrested in 2000,
approximately 88% -- or about 646,042 individuals -- were charged only
with possession of marijuana.

The most chilling thing about those numbers, said Dasbach, is that
every arrest for marijuana represents a "missed opportunity" for law
enforcement.

"Local and state police, the FBI, and federal law enforcement agencies
have only a finite amount of people, time, and money to investigate
and stop crimes," he noted. "By directing so many of those resources
to the War on Marijuana, law enforcement made the ill-advised decision
that detecting murderous, fanatical terrorists was less important than
arresting non-violent Americans who choose to use marijuana.

"The nearly 4,000 Americans who were killed in the World Trade Center,
in the Pentagon, and aboard Flight 93 may have paid the price for that
tragically misguided decision."

Of course, what law enforcement did last year can't be altered now,
admitted Dasbach. However, such policies can be changed for the
future.

"We can't bring back the thousands of Americans who were killed on
September 11," he said. "And we can't bring back all the law
enforcement resources that were squandered in the past. But we can
learn from our mistakes -- and we can learn from the actions of other
nations."

For example, noted Dasbach, Great Britain reclassified marijuana in
October so it is no longer an arrestable offense.

"For the safety and security of our nation, it's time for the United
States to follow the lead of Great Britain," he said. "Then, we could
redirect law enforcement -- at the local, state, and federal levels --
to focus on preventing future barbarous acts of terrorism, instead of
arresting marijuana-smokers who are no threat to anyone."