-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/12/20011204-17.html
Click Here: <A
HREF="http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/12/20011204-17.html";>
President Meets with Displaced Workers in Town …</A>
-----
Q       Mr. President, we thank you for coming, on behalf of the clergy of
Orlando.  We're going to be having a summit this next week, 12/12 summit, and
I'm a pastor.  And we want to know what we can do -- we're praying for
strategies of how we can assist you in our government, and assist our
communities.

THE PRESIDENT:  First thing you can do is make sure people of all faiths are
represented at your prayer session.  It sends such a strong signal --
(applause) -- it reminds people of the greatness of America.  The evil people
we fight, they don't believe in religious freedom.  They want it their way or
no way.  And if you're not their way, they'll treat you harshly.  That's why,
by the way, when we liberated cities throughout Afghanistan, people lined the
roads and cheered out of joy and happiness.

Secondly, you need to pray for the good Lord to protect America, provide a
shield over our country, to prevent us from harm.  (Applause.)

Q       Hi, Mr. President.  I want to say, they haven't won.  I got in my car
today, and I'm in the same building with you, speaking to you.  They have not
won.

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you very much.

Q       And would you say hello to my son Jordan, and my daughter Patricia.

THE PRESIDENT:  Jordan and who?

Q       Patricia.

THE PRESIDENT:  Hi, Patricia; how are you?  How old is Patricia?

Q       Five, and Jordan is in 3rd grade.  And Jordan has a question, if I
could give him the microphone.

THE PRESIDENT:  You bet.  Your mother is relaying the Mike to you, Jordan.

Q       One thing, Mr. President, is that you have no idea how much you've
done for this country.  And another thing is that, how did you feel when you
heard about the terrorist attack?  (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you, Jordan.  Well, Jordan, you're not going to believe
what state I was in when I heard about the terrorist attack.  I was in
Florida.  And my Chief of Staff, Andy Card -- actually, I was in a classroom
talking about a reading program that works.  I was sitting outside the cla
ssroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the TV was
obviously on.  And I used to fly, myself, and I said, well, there's one
terrible pilot.  I said, it must have been a horrible accident.

But I was whisked off there, I didn't have much time to think about it.  And
I was sitting in the classroom, and Andy Card, my Chief of Staff, who is
sitting over here, walked in and said, "A second plane has hit the tower,
America is under attack."

And, Jordan, I wasn't sure what to think at first.  You know, I grew up in a
period of time where the idea of America being under attack never entered my
mind -- just like your Daddy's and Mother's mind probably.  And I started
thinking hard in that very brief period of time about what it meant to be
under attack.  I knew that when I got all of the facts that we were under
attack, there would be hell to pay for attacking America.  (Applause.)

I tried to get as many facts as I could, Jordan, to make sure I knew as I was
making decisions that I knew exactly what I was basing my decisions on.  I've
got a fabulous team.  A President can't possibly be President without a good
team.  It starts with having a great wife, by the way.  (Applause.)

And so, I got on the phone from Air Force One, asking to find out the facts.
 You've got to understand, Jordan, during this period of time, there were all
kinds of rumors floating around.  Some of them were erroneous.  Obviously --
for example, there was a news report saying that the State Department had
been attacked.  I needed to know what the facts were.  But I knew I needed to
act.  I knew that if the nation's under attack, the role of the
Commander-In-Chief is to respond forcefully to  prevent other attacks from
happening.  And so, I've talked to the Secretary of Defense; one of the first
acts I did was to put our military on alert.

An interesting thing happened shortly thereafter.  Condoleezza Rice -- who
was not with me but was with the Vice President because they were in the
White House compound -- called me on Air Force One after that, and said that
she had gotten a call from Russia, from Vladimir Putin, who understood why we
were putting our troops on alert, and, therefore, wasn't going to respond.
 That was an important phone call.  Because when I was coming up, and a lot
of other older-looking people here who were coming up with me -- (laughter)
-- that would never have happened in the past.  An alert by the United States
would have caused Russia to go on alert, which would have created a
complicated situation.  But that wasn't the case.

By the way, we're heading into a new era.  One of the positive things that
comes out of the evil was, we're reassessing relationships in order to make
the world more peaceful.  I believe it's important for us to have positive
relations with our former enemy and to rethink the defenses of the United
States of America.  (Applause.)

At any rate, I knew I had a job to do.  And I was quoted in the press the
other day as saying I haven't regretted one thing I've decided.  And that's
the truth.  Every decision I made, I stand by.  And I'm proud of the
decisions I've made.  (Applause.)
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.