<http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=842>
http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=842
Starving for Intelligence

by James Ostrowski

[Posted December 11, 2001]

Bruce Lee--the author, not the karate guy--says that September 11
happened because "we starved our intelligence agencies." We have been
hearing this ever since. Get ready for a huge increase in
"intelligence" spending, as well as "taking the handcuffs off."

But let’s see if we can kill this handsome theory with some ugly
facts.

Here is a list of the our intelligence agencies we know about:

  Central Intelligence Agency

*    The Directorate of Operations
*    The Directorate of Intelligence
*    The Directorate of Science and Technology (DS&amp;T)
*    The National Intelligence Council (NIC)

  Department of Defense

*    National Security Agency (NSA)
*    Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA)
*    Central Measurements and Signature Intelligence Office (CMO) *

Tactical Intelligence And Related Activities (TIARA) *    The
National
Reconnaissance Office (NRO) *    The Defense Airborne Reconnaissance
Office (DARO) *    Central Imagery Office (CIO) *    Army--National
Ground Intelligence Center *    Navy--National Maritime Intelligence
Center *    Air Force--National Air Intelligence Center *    Marine
Corps Intelligence Activity *    Joint Intelligence Centers

*      United States Atlantic Command (ACOM)
*      United States Central Command (CENTCOM)
*      United States European Command (EUCOM)
*      United States Pacific Command (PACOM)
*      United States Southern Command (SOUTHCOM);
*      United States Space Command (SPACECOM)
*      United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
*      United States Strategic Command (STRATCOM)
*      United States Transportation Command (TRANSCOM)

  The Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR)
  The Department of Energy: DOE's Office of Intelligence The
  Department of Treasury: Treasury's Office of Intelligence Support
  Federal Bureau of Investigation--National Security Division The
  National Foreign Intelligence Board (NFIB) The Intelligence
  Community Executive Committee (IC/EXCOM) National HUMINT
  Requirements Tasking Center Central Imagery Office (CIO)
President's
  Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board (PFIAB) President's
Intelligence
  Oversight Board (IOB) Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
(SSCI)
  House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI)
The Christian Science Monitor reports that the combined budget of
these agencies is at least $30 billion annually. Officially and
unofficially, the U.S. and its allies probably have\xa0more than
75,000 intelligence personnel. This army, larger than the Army of
Northern Virginia, and spending twice as much as the entire Chinese
defense budget, was unable to foresee or prevent the attacks. Does
anyone think we got our money’s worth from these bureaucrats prior to
September 11?

The problem with bureaucracies can be seen in their genesis. They
exist, we are told, because private society and the market are
deficient and need to be regulated by bureaucracies with the power to
control us. They control us; we do not control them, and this is
necessarily so because, we are told, private individuals are bad or
stupid or irresponsible and the market is defective. Because
bureaucracies have power over us, they are neither responsive nor
responsible to us. Therefore, they tend to act in their own
interests,
not ours. They tend to grow in staff, budget, and power, regardless
of
their poor performance.

It does not take $30 billion to determine that one hundred years of
trying to rule the world was bound to result in retaliation at some
point, or that $300 billion will not stop determined fanatics. All
the
CIA had to do to find out that a major terrorist attack was coming
was
to have had one clerk read  <http://www.lewrockwell.com/>
LewRockwell.com,  <http://www.mises.org/> Mises.org, and
<http://www.antiwar.com/> AntiWar.com for the last few years. Cost:
$30,000 per year. We have not starved our intelligence agencies; our
agencies are starved of intelligence.

  ----------------

James Ostrowski practices law in Buffalo, N.Y. See his Mises.org
<http://www.mises.org/articles.asp?mode=a&amp;author=Ostrowski>
Articles Achive and send him  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> MAIL.
<http://www.mises.org/elist.asp> Subscribe to Mises Email List
Services

<https://www.mises.org/donate.asp> Join the Mises Institute
<http://www.mises.org/audio.asp> Mises.org Audio

<http://www.mises.org/> Home |  <http://www.mises.org/about.asp> About

 <http://www.mises.org/elist.asp> Email List |
<http://www.mises.org/search.asp> Search |
<http://www.mises.org/contact.asp> Contact Us |
<http://www.mises.org/journals.asp> Periodicals |
<http://www.mises.org/articles.asp> Articles
<http://www.mises.org/news.asp> News |
<http://www.mises.org/scholar.asp> Resources |
<http://www.mises.org/catalog.asp> Catalog |
<http://www.mises.org/basket.asp> Shopping Basket |
<https://www.mises.org/donate.asp> Contributions

<<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>>
* To remove yourself from this mailing list, point your browser to:
http://i.pm0.net/remove?heinrich:11 * Enter your email address
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) in the field provided and click
"Unsubscribe". The mailing list ID is "heinrich:11".

OR...

This message was sent to address [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>>

pmguid:zx.13f4.6wo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway