-Caveat Lector-

Women in Afghanistan remain under strict rule

By BRIAN MURPHY, Associated Press

HERAT, Afghanistan (December 16, 2001 3:46 p.m. EST) - The prosecutor
reads the charges: leaving your husband and spending the night in another
man's home. The suspect rises from the floor.

"No one touched me, not even my hand," Gol pleads. "I swear there was
nothing improper."

Not according to the stern Islamic code of justice in Afghanistan, where she
could receive up to several months in prison for leaving her husband without
permission. If adultery is proven, she could face death.

The demise of the Taliban freed Afghanistan from five years of severely
restrictive social regulation. But a deeply conservative version of sharia, or
Islamic law, still guides the legal system during a time when some women are
testing the new boundaries of society.

"We had sharia before the Taliban corrupted it. We will continue with it. The
West helped us defeat the Taliban, but they will not dictate the laws we live
by," said Noor Mohammad, general prosecutor in the western city of Herat.

The Taliban were seen by many around the world as warriors of an ultra-
puritanical brand of Islam that found evil everywhere: jobs for women,
schooling for girls, men without beards, television, music, non-Islamic art, kite-
flying. The shroud-like burqa for women became one of the most recognized
symbols of their rule.

The Taliban's collapse cast off some restrictions for women. A traditional
chador, which shows the face, is now acceptable. Women can appear in
public without a male relative as escort, which was required under the
Taliban.

But there appears to be no revision of the basic social restrictions for women
despite appeals from Western rights groups for the rules to be relaxed.

"We are not a country that can legislate new laws and rules like in the West,"
said Mohammad, the prosecutor. "There will only be trouble if outsiders try to
change our ways."

About a dozen women have been arrested on morals charges around Herat
since the fall of the Taliban last month, officials said. Most of them apparently
tried to use the confusion to leave their families - a crime - either for new
relationships or in hopes of reaching nearby Iran.

Four women are marched under armed escort from their ramshackle
quarters outside the main prison, where most prisoners held under the
Taliban have been freed. One woman carries her young daughter. The other
children staying with their detained mothers remain behind.

The women flips back the face covering of their burqas when they enter the
interrogation room. At desks are two women prosecutors, who earned law
degrees at the University of Kabul before the Taliban took power in 1996.

Gol, the first to be questioned, sits on a carpet so dirty its design was almost
indiscernible. It is the first step to possible trial.

"Age?" asks prosecutor Maria Bashir.

"I really don't know," Gol says.

"Education?"

"Nothing. I am illiterate."

Bashir explains the charges of leaving her husband for another man's home
and hints at the dire consequences of adultery.

"This is very serious," she says. "Tell the truth and it will be easier for you."

Gol breaks down in tears, but sticks to her story that she had no physical
contact with the man.

"But leaving your home is still a serious matter," says Bashir. "This is not
acceptable."

Two other women are interrogated on similar charges. The fourth is accused
of hiding loot taken by relatives in an armed robbery shortly after the Taliban
collapsed.

All four are illiterate and make thumbprints on court papers.

"The law is the law. We cannot change that," Bashir says later. "Society is
always changing, however, and this should mean different opportunities for
women in an Islamic framework."

There have been some tentative signs of greater options for Afghan women.

Two women were included in the Cabinet of the interim government that is to
assume power Saturday.

Girls are expected to return to classes when schools resume in the spring.
Last week in Herat, a literature society was host to both men and women at
the first mixed-sex cultural gathering since the Taliban was toppled.

But the interim government will be caught between those urging deeper
reforms and conservative clerics and others opposing much change.

Steve Wingate, Webmaster
ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com