-Caveat Lector-

This news are from my country. The opressive economy policy during former president
Carlos "hijo de remil puta" Menem (Bush friend) and Fernando (imbécil) de la Rúa with
the "butcher" FMI brought us to this caos.

God save my country, I m very sad because we re walking on a thin wire ....

Saludos,
Fer

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011220/wl/argentina_dc.html

Thursday December 20 10:33 AM ET
Argentine Riot Death Toll Rises to 16
BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Sixteen people have died in rioting and looting across
Argentina, police said Thursday as the government declared a state of emergency to
contain the unrest driven by a staggering economy.

Half of the deaths were in the suburbs of the capital, said police, who estimated
20,000 people took part in the looting and thousands of others demanded food handouts
at grocery stores. Some were shot dead by shopkeepers defending their shops.

On Wednesday, police said at least four people had died as thousands of looters sacked
supermarkets in Buenos Aires, its suburbs and several provinces in rage against
deepening austerity and poverty spurred famished slum dwellers to take matters into
their own hands. Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas to scatter the looters.

Some 1,210 people were arrested for looting in the outskirts of Buenos Aires,
provincial police said.

Protests overnight in front of the presidential palace and Congress were dispersed by
police who fired tear gas at crowds of mainly peaceful demonstrators. A dozen banks
and restaurants as well as the Israeli Embassy in the city's center were vandalized
during the overnight violence, police added.

``Everything is a mess. There's no work and the situation is deteriorating. I was here
protesting peacefully last night and they tear gassed us,'' one protester said at
Plaza de Mayo in front of the presidential palace.

Demonstrators returned to the presidential palace by mid-morning on Thursday and riot
police armed with truncheons arrested dozens of protesters who yelled insults or
demanded that President Fernando de la Rua resign.

Police managed to clear the square but cars driving around the presidential palace
blared horns and drummed pots and pans.

Many supermarkets in the heavily populated suburbs of Buenos Aires remained closed.