-Caveat Lector-

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/orl-asec-afghan122301.story?co

ll=orl%2Dhome%2Dheadlines

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Thousands cheer promise of peace

By Carol J. Williams | Foreign correspondent
Posted December 23, 2001

Sacred pledge. (ASSOCIATED PRESS)
Dec 23, 2001

KABUL, Afghanistan -- In an outpouring of resolve to escape a legacy of
bloodshed, Afghan aristocrats and warlords who were sworn in to a new
government here Saturday vowed to lead their country out of the darkness that
has made it a nation of beggars and rubble.

Proclaiming that "The sun has once again risen over my native land," Prime
Minister Hamid Karzai took the oath of office before a rowdy and emotional
audience of 2,000 tribal elders, diplomats and dignitaries. Interrupted by
shouts of "Allah is great!" from joyous onlookers, he pledged to make a
success of his opportunity to heal the wounds of war and isolation.

"I promise you that I will fulfill my mission to bring peace to Afghanistan,"
said Karzai, who was dressed in a green and purple silk caftan and his
signature karakul fur hat.

The ethnic Pashtun aristocrat returned from exile in Pakistan in October to
lead the fight for the liberation of Kandahar, the last stronghold of
Afghanistan’s hated Taliban regime. He is to preside over an interim
administration for six months.

During that time, a commission appointed by his Cabinet will organize a
transition to an executive and legislature that will wield authority for two
more years, until elections are held for offices in a permanent civilian
government.

In his speech, Karzai also appealed for help from his countrymen to end
Afghanistan’s poverty and isolation.

"Our country, as a result of the long war, has been distracted. We need hard
work from all Afghans," he said. "We must put our hands together and be
brothers and friends. We must forget the painful past."

The nearly three-hour ceremony at the Interior Ministry, where the only
conference hall large enough for such an event was crammed with people hungry
for a turn in history, marked the first time in 28 years that power has been
transferred to a new Afghan government without the use of guns.

Western diplomats midwifed the new 30-member Cabinet into existence at tense
negotiations in Germany earlier this month, but Karzai and the foreign
leaders who attended his inauguration to show their support made clear that
the onus is on Afghans to prove they can feed the population’s hunger for
peace.

At a news conference just hours after his inauguration, Karzai, 43, cautioned
that the significance of this transfer of power will be fully apparent only
after the government has served its term.

"If we deliver what we have promised to the Afghan people, this will be known
as a great day. If we don’t deliver this, it will be recorded as the day of
oblivion," he said.

The United Nations’ special envoy for Afghanistan, Lakhdar Brahimi, assured
Afghans who followed the inaugural festivities on radio that Karzai will lead
them "with wisdom and foresight." But he also cautioned the Cabinet members
who only a few months ago were at war with one another that they face tough
challenges and the wrath of the people if they fail.

"The men and women of this proud nation have shown great strength, courage
and dignity through tragedy, but we must never forget what they have
suffered," Brahimi said, blaming the international community for failing to
guide Afghanistan through earlier troubles. "An entire generation has grown
up never knowing the simple joys of a peaceful life."

Since a 1973 palace coup that ousted the last king, Mohammad Zahir Shah,
Afghans have weathered a succession of bloody putsches, the 1979 Soviet
invasion, civil wars and power struggles among rival Islamic factions.

Securing the peace and a chance for reconstruction is the priority for the
new leadership, Karzai said.

The head of a Pashtun dynasty who speaks flawless English and deftly
negotiates the diplomatic minefields still surrounding the new regime, Karzai
brushed off reporters’ suggestions that some members of his Cabinet harbor
destabilizing ambitions. He also insisted that there is unity among the
ministers on the need for an international peacekeeping force whose members
have just begun arriving and could number as many as 5,000 by late next month.

The biggest threat to the new Cabinet earlier appeared to be former President
Burhanuddin Rabbani, 62, who originally undermined the agreement on
Afghanistan’s future that was signed near Bonn, Germany, on Dec. 5 and who
repeatedly has sought to impose conditions on the power structure that is
supposed to replace him.

But Rabbani, who held on to U.N. recognition as the Afghan head of state
during the five years of Taliban rule, struck a conciliatory note as he
passed the mantle of power to Karzai.

Camouflage-clad Afghan gunmen -- many of them former Northern Alliance
soldiers now wielding their Kalashnikov rifles as police officers --
virtually shut down the center of Kabul, the capital, to provide security for
the invited guests. Speeding motorcades carrying Western dignitaries provided
a comical contrast with the hordes of turbaned regional elders of every
ethnic ilk who arrived in convoys of battered trucks and buses.

Interest in the transfer of power was so intense that guests overwhelmed
security forces at the Interior Ministry, crushing through a single door,
where police were attempting to control entry, in such a torrent that an
explosive-sniffing dog had to be removed for his own safety. Few of the
arrivals, who sported festive turbans and traditional tunics, received even a
cursory pat on the chest to check them for weapons.

After securing peace and stability, Karzai said, his next priority for his
six-month term will be to channel international aid to the daunting task of
rebuilding this shattered country. Most urban housing is damaged or
destroyed, the vast majority of the population is unemployed, and every
element of infrastructure is in shambles, from bomb-scarred roads to
shuttered schools to contaminated water systems and ancient
power-distribution equipment.

Write to same address to be off lists!