-Caveat Lector-

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/12/21/135857.shtml
This is why we need a third Party!  --  Bill

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Daschle's Blockage of Stimulus Bill Disappoints Bush
NewsMax.com Wires
Saturday, Dec. 22, 2001
WASHINGTON – With Congress adjourned for Christmas, President Bush on Friday
expressed disappointment that lawmakers left without agreement on a stimulus
package to spark the economy.
"Well, we just have to see," Bush said. "We'll have to see what the effects
are, and we'll have time when they come back to take a look-see at the state
of the economy.

"We continue to get mixed signals. Hopefully the economy will be good, but
we'll deal with it when we get back."

Bush spoke from the Oval Office after he and first Lady Laura Bush showed off
the rug she designed that will grace the floor there.

Bush said he tried to work with Democrats and Republicans, but for Congress
"the will to get something done just wasn't there."

Daschle Dictates

Senate plurality leader Tom Daschle refused even to allow a vote on the bill
Thursday. His failure to take action ended, for now, a contentious debate
over whether tax relief or expanded worker benefits would have sparked the
desperately needed economic recovery.

Other legislative unfinished business included unconfirmed judges waiting to
take their place on benches across the nation.

"I thought it was important to get a good stimulus package out, as well as I
thought it was very important to take care of displaced workers. And the bill
that I supported and my administration helped craft with both Democrats and
Republicans would have done just that," Bush said.

The White House said it was unclear whether a stimulus package would be
useful once Congress returns in late January. Private-sector forecasters
predict the economy may rebound next year, but at a less robust rate without
the help the stimulus bill would have provided, the White House said.

The White House had aggressively courted moderate Democrats in the U.S.
Senate in hopes they would prod Daschle, D-S.D., to bring the stimulus bill
to a floor vote. GOP members noted that Daschle blocked movement of the bill
to the Senate floor.

A $100 billion version of the economic stimulus bill was approved in October
by the U.S. House of Representatives and backed by the White House. But
earlier this week the House ushered through a revised bill, which included
more benefits for displaced workers, apparently the sticking point for Senate
Democrats.

Differences remained, however, with the White House supporting, among other
things, a refundable tax credit to displaced workers that they could
immediately use to buy health insurance benefits. Democrats were not
satisfied with the tax credit and wanted instead provisions providing direct
payments to workers and increased unemployment insurance benefits.

The White House required 60 votes in the Senate to get its measure through
but had far fewer than that. The remaining alternative was for it to garner
support for compromise legislation, which never happened.

Write to same address to be off lists!