In a message dated 12/27/01 8:31:16 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I don't have a theory, only observations; as for belief, while I know I
fail, I try to believe nothing. Instead I put my "faith" in experience and
observation, which hopefully renders one less susceptible to brainwashing.

Since what each of us observes and experiences is different, your view would lead one to believe Plato's elephant may not exist in reality.   Then let's say you go to the zoo and see an elephant and agree such a thing as an elephant exists, you will depend on others to know where the elephant came from, what it eats, how it acts, etc.  Then you may or may not take on trust that those who are reporting these things are legitimate authorities.  We take on trust many things in our lives this way.  Where larger issues are concerned...the Kennedy assassination, the 911 tragedy, who is lying about about cultural issues ...you will always end up relying on someone's expertise.  As an adult, you will determine who you trust in addition to your own experience and observation.   This is what everybody does.  Are you such a good judge of human character that you can can prevent being brainwashed?  Good luck!  We've all been taken somewhere along the line.