-Caveat Lector-

http://www.dawn.com/2002/01/06/top6.htm

(AFP)
Omar escapes amid surrender parleys

KABUL, Jan 5: Taliban leader Mulla Mohammad Omar gave US-led forces
the slip once more on Saturday, Afghan intelligence said, roaring
off on a motorbike just before the force protecting him agreed to
lay down its arms.

The reported escape is another blow for the US coalition, which
thought it was close to capturing the Taliban leader and admits it
has already lost track of its other key target: Osama bin Laden.

"The team we had sent to Helmund province to hold talks with
pro-Taliban commanders reported to us that Mulla Omar has escaped
from Baghran and the whole province of Helmund," intelligence
official Nasratullah Nasrat told AFP.

A senior defence ministry source told AFP that the Afghan forces
had not been able to completely encircle the Taliban forces,
allowing Mulla Omar to repeat the disappearing act that allowed him
to abandon his Kandahar headquarters last month without running
into US-backed troops.

"Mulla Omar was never surrounded. He was never captured. Now no-one
knows where he is," the defence official told AFP, adding that
Mulla Omar was believed to have fled on a motorbike with four
supporters. But another intelligence official, who asked not to be
named, said that while Mulla Omar had indeed left the province the
Afghan authorities had not lost track of him completely.

"We know where Mulla Omar is. But... we cannot disclose it for the
time being," he said. "We are sure that he cannot escape and we
will definitely capture him."

The commander of the US campaign, Gen Tommy Franks, had said
earlier that the US intelligence believed Mulla Omar and his
remaining fighters were near Baghran and Deh Rahwood in mountainous
south central Afghanistan.

Asked on Friday where Osama bin Laden was, Franks said: "We don't
know."

Mulla Omar had been harboured in Baghran by Taliban commander Abdul
Ahad, better known as Rais-i-Baghran - or chief of Baghran.

Afghan officials said Baghran's force of between 1,000 and 1,500
fighters had put down their guns and surrendered, qualifying them
for an amnesty extended by Karzai for low-ranking former Taliban.

The Washington Post reported that Pakistan had agreed to hand over
Abdul Salam Zaeef, the Taliban's former ambassador to Islamabad, to
US forces. Pakistani officials would not confirm this, but said
Mulla Zaeef had returned to Afghanistan.

The Post also reported a high-ranking Al-Qaeda training officer had
also been captured by Pakistani forces and was already in US hands:
Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi, a Libyan said to be the most senior Al-Qaeda
official in US hands.

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/