-Caveat Lector-

> From: Valued User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:27:29 -0800
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [CTRL] WHO ARE THE PALESTINIANS? -- dead thread
>
> -Caveat Lector-
>
> On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 07:59 AM, thew wrote:
>
>> -Caveat Lector-
>>
>> don't you think in your 1st example it was a mod enraged by the killing
>> of
>> young people in a discotheque the night before?
>> that's not genocide - its vengeance.
>
> It is part of the genocide mindset, just one example I had handy...  I'm
> not asking for any such thing regarding S-11 attacks... I seek
> individual justice.. not group/ethnic justice, killing or genocide.
> Governments and regimes can be changed, but the people will remain.

I do not justify the behavior, I'm just trying to understand it

its not the mindset of genocide, but the mindset of being on the frontlines,
which is a different feeling all together.

Most Israeli's I know do not want to kill all the Arabs. most Israeli's I
know have friends who are Muslims.  But people will respond if they feel
attacked - and that's how people on both sides feel, in this situation. as I
have said many times, there are no good guys in this battle.

>> as to the ghetto quote - well - there is a difference - no one is
>> forced to
>> live in these west bank communities - they can take an apt in the
>> middle of
>> Tel Aviv if they want -
>>

> be realistic

I am. I know Muslims who live in Tel Aviv, and outside the old city in
Jerusalem.  they work, their children go to school, they celebrate holidays,
and live very normal lives, in cosmopolitan cities. They come from across
the economic spectrum,, and are found in all walks of life in Israel.

>> in the ghettos in Germany and Poland , Jews were not allowed to live
>> elsewhere
>>

> we're not talking about Jews in Germany/Poland, but the ones who could
> afford to, did move to other nations.

a few moved  - most didn't, because people tend to stay put, tend to stay
with their families. And like the old frog in the pot of water, the heat was
turned up gradually at first. I know my fathers family moved out of Lodz,
but they ran to live with family elsewhere in Poland - they considered
themselves poles, and part of the society. despite what the poles may have
thought. Of course the move didn't do them any good in the long run.
(ironically I had an aunt who was living in palestine, and there were
horrendous anti jewish riots there in the 30's, and lynchings, etc, and my
grandmother begged her to come back to Poland where it was safe, in 1936.
needless to say I never met the woman.)

> The ghettos in Germany and Poland were a precursor to the more radical
> genocide which ensued.
>
> It starts with the thinking... the mindset... There was a progression of
> sorts.

I agree - but as I said - there are some right wing israeli idiots who
preach the same sort of "purity" nonsense as right wing fundamentalist
assholes of every type spew - but the majority of Israelis don't want to
kill the Arabs, they just want shit to stop blowing up when they go
shopping. they want to coexist peacefully, in a multicultural society.

> If anyone learned anything from history...

people have learned - but they have learned different lessons

some learned that peaceful coexistence is the best way

other learned tolerance

others learned that when someone announces they want to kill you, they
probably mean it, and you shouldn't wait for it to happen

some learned that you can only trust people like yourself.

these are just a few of the possible lessons - I know which I believe- but
that doesn't make them dogmatically sacred writ, just my opinion.

> I consider this thread dead now, I already made more than valid points.

some valid points, yes- but hardly exhaustive.