-Caveat Lector-

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/29516159FAE5E70685256B3600513

B23

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Marines in Northeast mobilized for duty
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
Story Identification Number: 20021394715
Story by LCpl. Damian McGee

WORCESTER, Mass.?(December 13, 2001) -- The Reserve Marines here are about to
get a taste of life in the active duty Marine Corps and they?re ready for it.
One hundred thirty-three Reserve Marines, including 40 from Headquarters
Company, 25th Marines, here, were called to active duty this week in support
of Operation Enduring Freedom.

The Marines, members of Headquarters Company, 25th Marines and 2nd Battalion,
25th Marines based in Worcester and Chicopee, Mass., Garden City and Albany,
N.Y., Harrisburg, Pa., and Dover, N.J., will act as the advance party for the
mobilization of their units in mid-January. The units will deploy to Camp
Lejeune, N.C., after mobilization to augment and reinforce II Marine
Expeditionary Force.

On Dec. 12, members of the units were personally contacted via telephone and
notified of the mobilization.

Here in Worcester, about 40 miles west of Boston, many of the Marines are
finishing semesters in college or starting families, and the transition will
be hard initially. However, the majority are adamant about their excitement
to do their part.

"I was a little worried that I would have gotten this far in school and not
been able to finish my semester," said Sgt. Jason L. Cross, a native of
Boston, Mass. "However, I was ready to do whatever my country needed me to do
in an effort to rid ourselves of this current situation. Not to mention, I
will be finishing my finals this week, so I'm not going to miss any school
either."

Cross was one of many who lives within commuting distance of his reserve
center and stopped in to pick up his orders and other information on Dec. 13.
Those who could not come in received their packages via fax or overnight
mail.

Because there have not been mobilizations of this nature since the Gulf War,
many of the Marines were new to the experience and wondering what to expect.
But, for the Marines and spouses who've done this before, the call-up was
expected, enabling them to prepare for whatever was to come.

"I wasn't surprised when it happened," said Mary Beth Hamilton, a Marine
spouse from West Hartford, Conn. "My husband did this during the Gulf War, so
I was somewhat ready for whatever was going to come our way. It's one of
those things that you know is going to happen, but you don't really know
when."

Because of her involvement with this and previous activations, Hamilton was
able to offer helpful advice to others.

"All I would tell mothers, spouses, girlfriends, or anyone else who may be in
this situation, is that you have to be very patient," Hamilton said. "Over
the years, I've found that programs like the Key Volunteer Network are very
important for getting through situations like these."

According to Lt. Col Kevin Murphy, executive officer, 25th Marines, the
experience will be a very beneficial one for the Marines.

"This is definitely going to be a great experience for these Marines," Murphy
said. "Doing only two days a month and two weeks a year doesn't give these
Marines the full appreciation of what active duty Marines do. This experience
will allow these Marines to experience, firsthand, life as an active duty
Marine."

As the first large unit to be mobilized, they will also be showing the rest
of the Marine Corps that the reserves are capable of performing any mission
given them.

"With their monthly training and two-week ATs (annual training), I have no
doubt these Marines are ready for whatever comes their way," Murphy said.
"This activation will simply give the Marines a chance to show that we're
able to mobilize at any time and keep up with the current tempo of things."

Murphy, of Wakefield, Mass., was also with the unit when it was activated
during the Gulf War.

The Marines have been activated for one year but could be extended to up to
two years under the Partial Mobilization authorized by President Bush.

Write to same address to be off lists!