-Caveat Lector-

The treatment of the "detainees" is not extreme.  In the first place,
I doubt if Cuba has ever experienced anything in the form of a
"freeze".  After all it is tropical.  That said, the shaving makes
more sense in that it will keep them cooler and cleaner.  If "laurie"
has a dispute with this, I suggest she acquire a beard and long hair
and sit mostly idle in the tropix for an indefinite period of time.
As far as war goes, the "detainees" lost their options for external
displays of personal self-expression when they first chose their path
(ask UbL or Mullah Omar how agreeable they would be to their minions
going tie-dye!) and second, when they got caught.  In either case, it
was a case of personal choice forfeiture; after all, "Islam" can be
translated to means "surrender".

Cages.  What prisoner is not in a cage?  And, by comparison to what
they might have expected in their location of choice, are they worser
off or better?  Chances are they won't get caught up in the tattoo
and body building crazes nor will they have to worry about untoward
attentions by their "fella" inmates.

Would the Aleutians have made everyone happier?  How about Greenland?
In those places, they would still have needed to be shaved, in any
event, just to make sure they can be properly identified.  The sense
of humaneness has to be taken within the context of the conditions
from which they came to those in which they are now.  Should any of
them have some adverse medical condition, I'm sure the patients as
well as the medical personnel would prefer that the correct person
get the prescribed treatment(s) and medication(s).

All in all, one must be compelled to recall that the "detainees"
weren't spirited away from a shopping mall in Southern California.
They were commandoes in one of the most backward and impoverished
pieces of land on Earth.  And they lost their battles.  And now
they're guests of the most advanced and wealthiest nation.  And
sitting in a relative tropical paradise.  And not in the Aleutians or
in Greenland.

A<>E<>R's response to:

On 14 Jan 02, at 23:53, PNEWS.ORG wrote:

> From: flpeach2001 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I was just watching "War Room" - Wolf Blitzer Reports on CNN.  They
> reported that the Al Queda and Afghan prisoners of war were all shaved
> (heads and beards).  I was appalled!!  This goes against their
> religion and I'm sure they feel a great loss of dignity.
>
> Also, they have been put in cages.  Yes, people, cages.  If it rains,
> they get wet.  If it is freezing, they get cold, etc. etc.  Oh, they
> explained that all the prisoners are getting food and medical
> attention.  But they have taken away all their dignity!!
>
> Okay, I know I have a bleeding heart (haa haa) but does anyone else
> think this is uncalled for and extreme??
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.  -Laurie
>
> [NOTE: Most of this is done in secrecy. They've asked that the images
> not be shown on television and it is a flagrant injustice and
> violation of rights - but not American rights because they're not
> Americans. I guess with Bush in charge we have become that which we
> are taught to hate. This is the most unethical government in my
> lifetime and instead of preaching to the choir, send your comments to
> your newspaper and if you know someone there, call them up. If you
> know someone who is a politican, call them up. If we don't speak out,
> it will get worse and you won't be safe either. ..TheGolem]

Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust