Note: forwarded message attached.

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
--- Begin Message ---
Yahoo! Groups My Groups | ProletarianNews Main Page

Ananova. 14 January 2002. 89-year-old nun freed after serving six months
for soldier school protest.

Seven women are free after serving six-month sentences for trespassing
at a Georgia school that trains Latin American soldiers.

The women were convicted last summer of trespassing during a protest at
what was once known as the School of the Americas at Fort Benning.

Among the seven were three Roman Catholic nuns: Sisters Dorothy
Hennessey, 89, Gwen Hennessey, 68, and Elizabeth Anne McKenzie, 72.

At a news conference at the Pekin Federal Prison Camp, Sister McKenzie
and others pledged to continue protesting at the school, which is now
called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation.

The protesters accuse it of training soldiers who have been linked to
murder, torture and other human rights abuses.

"It's just a matter of, 'Here's a job to be done, with a risk'," Sister
McKenzie said.

Rebecca Kanner, 44, said: "Our effect has been felt, and we won't stop
until the school is closed down."

Most of the women served their sentences at the Pekin prison camp.
Dorothy Hennessey, Gwen Hennessey's sister, was released from a halfway
house in Iowa, where she served her sentence because of health concerns.

A total of 26 people were convicted of trespassing during the November
2000 protest in which 3,400 people crossed onto the Army base without
permission.

Nineteen people remain in various federal prisons; two more women are
scheduled to be released on Tuesday and another will get out next month.

Military officials have said the school's goal is to teach democratic
principles to future Latin American leaders [such as Manuel Ortega, who
once attended].

--- End Message ---