-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/18/02 8:38:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Eisenhower didn't have to
 provide the level of treatment required by the
 Geneva Treaty for the treatment of POWs.
 It is a very sad and brutal chapter of American
 History that is almost unknown. >>

I think that Eisenhower was getting even for the treatment of American POWs
he had seen and for the horrors of the Holocaust to which he had a first hand
view.  The Germans did starve our men in the camps, but it was because there
was not even enough food for the Germans themselves by the end of the war.  I
knew a German war bride in about l953 who said that for months, the lunch she
took to work with her each day was two very tiny potatoes.  She only
mentioned it, because I was kidding her about her lists.  She said that she
had to write everything down or she would forget, and the doctors said it was
because she had been seriously undernourished during the late war years.
They felt that was also the cause of her infertility and even of the Bright's
Disease she developed.  We knew an Air Force sergeant who was as thin as a
stick who had been a POW in Germany.  Eisenhower had spoken to them when he
came into the camp, and he told them that he would personally do anything to
help them later in life if they would just contact him.  It was a pie crust
promise, because this man did actually write Eisenhower for assistance with
something or other years later, and got the brush off.  Still Eisenhower had
been much affected at the time, and I can imagine he would have tried to hurt
the Germans as much as he could get away with.  That's very likely what is
behind the treatment of the (whatever they are) at Gitmo.  It must give the
Bush administration great satisfaction; however, we are supposed to be a
Christian nation and the eyes of the world are watching us.  I'm afraid that
the next time we espouse our Christianity, they will tell us what hypocrites
they think we are.  True Christianity is a challenging burden, and it seems
that it is not a load taken up by those within the beltway who deal with the
world in our names.  Prudy