-Caveat Lector-

if by clarifying you mean obfuscating then I'm right there with ya buddy!

-----Original Message-----
From: Euphorian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 2:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [CTRL] Rush vs Reality

-Caveat Lector-

>From http://communities.msn.com/RushversusReality/rvrjanuary.msnw

>>>Whether you like Rush or not, he IS useful when it comes to
clarifying some issues as they relate to us all.  A<>E<>R <<<

}}}>Begin
Rush v Reality 2002

January 3, 2002

RUSH: Upon learning that heightened airport security in the aftermath
of September 11th would come with a hefty price tag, Rush sensed yet
another insult heaped on the American taxpayer. Government's
incessant appetite for taxes was bad enough, but really galling was
the outright deception.

"Now get this: travelers already pay up to $18 per round trip in
passenger facility charges which are used to help pay for airport
improvements. Well what the hell is improved or increased baggage
screening if not an airport improvement? This has been another point
of mine all along! We've already got a tax that we're being charged
to pay for this kind of stuff, but they never tap that fund, folks!
They-whenever they make airport improvements they issue bonds or
whatever-they never tap this fund! They just keep adding to it-it
becomes part of the general fund, just like Social Security, and gets
used to balance the budget. Just-the whole thing is just a-just
a-typical crock!" [Listen to Rush - Documents - Audio 2002 - Jan 03
Airline Taxes]

REALITY: This does indeed have all the attributes of a typical crock.
The question is, whose? According to Rush, the Passenger Facility
Charges (PFC) fund is "never" tapped, while the money collected from
weary travelers "becomes part of the general fund."

According to the FAA, as well as a major airline association, not
only are PFC funds not integrated with general tax revenues, they are
spent, as intended, on airport improvements.

>From the FAA's fiscal year 2000 Annual Report:

· Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) Program. The collection of PFC's,
which must be approved by the FAA, provides an additional source of
capital funding for improving airports. The Wendell H. Ford Aviation
Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century (AIR-21) signed into
law on April 5, 2000, authorized the collection of new $4.00 and
$4.50 PFC levels. Prior to AIR-21, the highest authorized PFC level
was $3.00 per enplaned revenue passenger. The uniform industry-wide
start date for collection of the new levels is April 1, 2001.
http://www.faa.gov/aba/html_fm/ files_pdf/annrpt2000.pdf

The American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE), Office of
Legislative Affairs publication (May 1999) provides more background
on PFCs:

In 1990, Congress became concerned that the AIP would not be able to
meet the future infrastructure needs of U.S. airports. Consequently,
the 1990 AIP reauthorization law permitted an airport to assess a fee
on passengers
. This is known as the Passenger Facility Charge (PFC). PFCs are collected
by the airlines and paid directly to the airport without going through the
federal treasury. They are intended to supplement AIP by providing more
 money for runways, taxiways, terminals, gates and other airport
improvements (for a project to be PFC eligible, it must also be AIP eligible
or involve the construction of gates).

According to the FAA, in 1996, the $1.1 billion in PFC funds were authorized
as follows:

35% for airside projects such as runways, taxiways and safety related
projects;
30% for landside projects, primarily terminal buildings;
17% to pay interest on bonds;
11% for noise abatement projects; and
6% for roads.      http://www.airportnet.org/depts/federal/PFCs/
pfcbackground.htm

In his statement, Rush also used the term "airport improvements." While it's
fairly clear he was focusing on the use of PFCs, there is an additional
major airport funding source called the Airport Improvement Program (AIP
). Just in case Rush meant to include AIP funds, it should be noted that AIP
is also (1) funded from user taxes (primarily fuel taxes paid by the
airlines), and, yes, (2) the AIP fund is also "tapped." From the FAA's 2000
 Annual Report:

· Grants-in-Aid to Airports:  FAA distributes grants through the Airport
Improvement Program (AIP) to maintain and enhance airport safety, preserve
existing airport infrastructure, expand capacity and efficiency throughou
t the airport system, and reduce the impact of airport noise on the
surrounding community. The AIP, which receives funds from the Airport
and Airway Trust Fund maintained through the payment of user taxes,
makes it possible to fund one-fourth to one-third of all capital
development at the Nation's public use airports.

In FY 2000, FAA's office of the Associate Administrator for Airports
awarded approximately $1.9 billion in new AIP grants-in-aid
obligations to improve and expand the Nation's airports.

Rush Limbaugh: crock radio.
End<{{{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do
not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing
propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance-not soap-boxing-please!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'-with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds-is used politically by different groups with