-Caveat Lector-

aOn 26 Jan 02, at 15:39, Bill Kalivas wrote:

> I'm tempted to agree with Prudy.our people do need experience in this
> area. But.... with mandatory vaccinations, the mental conditioning and
> the thought my children will have to fight overseas, in some other
> ridiculous, genocidal war, turns my stomach.

Well, it turns the stomachs of those who actually have (had) to go
and fight.  The problem with the government as regards the military
these days is that there are just too few Congresswo/men who have any
military experience.  So they watch "Saving Private Ryan" or "Black
Hawk Down" after having had three or four venti lattes.  But the
problem with that -- as compared to the old days of Lee Marvin or
Jimmy Stewart -- is none of the actors have had any experience
either.  They rely on some old-timer who they hire as an advisor
because he's the only experience they can find.

The solution therefore comes when the people who vote for those who
make the laws know from the foxhole or from the flightline or from
the bilge on up what is entailed by being a military member.  Now,
before I get too far gone here, I was in an outfit that had as its
motto in front of every gate at every one of its installations,
"Peace Is Our Profession".  When they retired SAC, they retired that
objective.  Then we had Iraq (trans-retirement), Yugoslavia, more
Iraq, Somalia, more Yugoslavia, more Iraq, and so on.  The world has
not changed in ten or eleven years.  Time to tap the tone-arm.

Once the leadership gets it in its collective head what the human
costs are when waging wars, THEN we might start waging peace.  But
when you've got silly little cleaning ladies whose legacy includes a
retrospective to her own childhood, that of creating a whole cadre of
refugees to whom the Americans can once again, 50 years later, pass
out Hershey bars, that silly little old lady who asked Gen Powell,
"What use is a military if they aren't being used?" (close quote),
that silly little old lady that presided over a spy infiltration of
her own State Department, when you have all of this, you have mush
for foreign policy and the options shrink.

The military is supposed to be the LAST effort on the international
squabble front.  GHW Bush brought it up to #1, followed by Clinton,
and now Buckaroo Georgie is addicted.  He likes being CinC.  This is
his opportunity to not only make up for his bugging out of the ANG
but to impose the death penalty like never before.  But we know that
Georgie can get over his addictions, right?

The importance of taking kids into the military, to summarise, is to
make sure that a broader segment of society knows what it is all
about.  If we continually rely on a smaller and smaller group of
committed professionals, there will be correspondingly fewer and
fewer of those who can point out errors and deficiencies having known
the system from the inside out.  Vicariosity just don't cut it.

Once we get to the point where people understand the difference
between war and peace and would opt for the latter, that might be
what we'll just get.

A<>E<>R