-Caveat Lector-

> I definitely don't have a problem with seeing any gender's genitalia,
> whether in a piece that purports to be 'art' or in the flesh; but what I
> found objectionable with the work shown at the Denver library is that it
> displayed severed male genitalia in the name of fighting domestic
violence;
> if the work had instead showed severed female vulvas strung on a
> clothesline and named "Hung Out To Dry", there would have been a great hue
> and cry regarding it encouraging violence against women; I wonder why
> people don't see it as encouraging violence against men (both straight and
> gay men) and why a work of art that shows the results of a violent act
upon
> a person is being shown in the name of stopping violence....

shock value?

i mean, if you want to convince somebody that something is wrong, is it not
best to use an example? my take is that the denver exhibit was designed to
horrify people - the motive being to horrify some so much that they might
think twice before they act. to show them "the err of the ways" and all
that.

and to attract attention. let's face it, nobody gives a fuck anymore if it's
not going to offend people. they could have done up a "respectful" exhibit
that everyone from nivek ogre to pat robertson could have gotten something
out of - problem is nobody would've paid it any attention.

now, if there are people out there that would take pleasure at looking at
such thing.....there's not much anybody can do to stop them...

inri
np:

http://chat.carleton.ca/~jparent2/

"sure, we'll have fascism, but it will come disguised as americanism" - huey
long
"there ought to be limits to freedom" - george w. bush
"if this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long
as i'm the dictator." - george w. bush
"freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to
lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do and how you do
it."  - rudolph giulliani