-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

January 30, 2002

Soldiers For The Truth (SFTT) Weekly Newsletter

When we assumed the Soldier, We did not lay aside the Citizen.
General George Washington, to the New York Legislature, 1775

In this week’s Issue of DefenseWatch:

The War Goes On

Editorial and Administrative Staff

Ed Offley
Editor, DefenseWatch
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

J. David Galland
Deputy Editor, DefenseWatch
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David H. Hackworth
Senior Military Columnist
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chris Humphrey
SFTT Webmaster
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Table of Contents
Editor's Comment: Changes at SFTT Aim at Greater Reader Participation

Hack's Target for the Week: Club Fed and Our Invisible Troops

Article 01 - Moral Courage in Peace Is As Important As in War, by Gary R.
Stalhut

Article 02 - Why Are Elite Counter-Terror Units Missing From the War? by Jon
Barrett

Article 03 - European Currency Hints of Political, Military Shift, by J.
David Galland

Article 04 - Israel Should Rethink Its 'Patience of Job,' by Patrick Hayes

Article 05 - Trident Missiles Safe From Unauthorized Launch, by Robert G.
Williscroft

Article 06 - The First Transformation Task: Define the Term, by Matthew Dodd

Article 07 - It's Time to Consider Ending the No-Fly Zone Patrols, by Paul
Connors

Article 08 - Joint Strike Fighter Program Requires a Dose of Reality, by John
Szelog

Article 09 - Some Simple Rules for Success in Dealing with the VA, by Andrea
West

Article 10 - Guest Column: An Army of Paupers, by Melana Zyla Vickers

Medal of Honor:

Article 11 - MITCHELL, FRANK N., 1st Lt. USMC

FEEDBACK: SFTT and DefenseWatch readers respond

EDITOR'S NOTE: Your Support is Important!

FROM THE EDITOR: Changes at SFTT Aim at Greater Reader Participation

By Ed Offley

One of the greatest satisfactions I have enjoyed in serving as Editor of
DefenseWatch for the past five months has been the steady gain both in
readers and reader responses to the newsletter and other SFTT items at this
website. After all, it is a fundamental goal of ours not only to bring facts
and informed opinions concerning defense and veterans issues to you, our
readers, but to create a vibrant venue for discussion, debate and information.

With that in mind, we are inaugurating several new features at SFTT and
DefenseWatch this week that are designed to improve the two-way exchange of
ideas and commentary and to promote an even more active participation by
readers in this endeavor.

First, with the decision to terminate the SFTT bulletin board, we are
expanding the reader Feedback section of DefenseWatch to a separate web page
accessible through SFTT.org. The new section is designed to provide readers
who want to add their contribution to an issue to submit letters or
commentary articles. You can find the SFTT Feedback window on the right-hand
column of the SFTT home page.

Our guidelines are simple and few: Feedback articles can be as brief as
several paragraphs or as long as 1,000 words. When submitting a response to a
particular article or commentary, please mention the article by headline and
date. We allow pen names but require the sender's actual name and contact
telephone number for verification purposes. SFTT reserves the right to edit
articles, or refuse publication of any submission for libel or inappropriate
language.

Send your comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Second, we are pleased to announce the creation of the SFTT Intel Center, a
dedicated site where DefenseWatch editors and writers will post specific
requests for information that it is hoped our readership can help track down.

Our purpose in creating this site is to provide a reader-friendly venue where
we can draw upon the knowledge and expertise of our readers to bring
significant issues to bear concerning the U.S. military and veterans'
communities, particularly significant policy issues or incidents of
wrongdoing that warrant investigation and publicizing.

Third, after many reader requests, we are proud to announce that SFTT.org now
features the PayPal online payment processing center on our home page by
which you can make your tax-deductible contributions using major credit
cards. The ultimate success in reviving and expanding SFTT depends on
everyone. We need your financial contributions to continue our operation.
While any amount is welcome, we suggest a $30 annual contribution from each
member will enable us to succeed.

The IRS recognizes SFTT as a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Educational Foundation (IRS
EIN 31-1592564). Donations are tax deductible. Send us some moral support and
encouragement to help in the struggle to improve combat readiness. You can
also still Mail your checks to:

Soldiers For The Truth Foundation
P.O. Box 11179
Greenwich CT 06831

Finally, we are pleased in this issue to introduce Andrew West as a new
Contributing Editor of DefenseWatch, specializing in veterans subjects. A
U.S. Air Force veteran, Ms. West lives in Helena, Montana, and is active in
various veterans organizations. We look forward to her contributions to SFTT
and DefenseWatch.

Offley is Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Table of Contents

Hack's Target For The Week: Club Fed and Our Invisible Troops

By David H. Hackworth

The brouhaha created by breast-beating human-rights groups over our
military's treatment of the terrorist scuzz now vacationing at the Pentagon's
recently opened Cuban Club Fed - eagerly aided and abetted by a press too
prone to the sensational - is something else. These bleeding hearts claim
we're brutalizing the captives by forcing them to wear orange jumpsuits,
sleep on mats, exercise daily, shower frequently and eat special food.

My buddy, a Connecticut cop, finds the protests fascinating. He says, "I'm
having a lot of trouble concentrating on my job because of the prisoners at
Guantanamo."

Then, with a twinkle in his eyes, he adds: "Are they getting enough sleep,
the right diet, enough prayer time? We have to keep them happy and healthy.
They only want to murder all of us the first chance they get."

Amen. Their perp pal responsible for the first World Trade Center attack
jabbed a sharpened comb into a guard's eye while he was in the pokey. This
time around, they've already bitten one of the soldiers guarding them and
threatened to kill anybody else who gets too close. After all, these are the
folks who spent their leisure time back in Afghanistan skinning captives
alive - when they weren't playing soccer with their heads.

Think of them as kamikaze killers looking for an edge.

However you want to categorize these creeps - who are living a lot better at
Club Fed than they ever did in the caves of Tora Bora - Geneva Convention
rules are for uniformed soldiers, not for skyjackers who fly commercial
planes filled with moms and dads into office buildings manned by civilians
operating computers, or for zealots who kill Arab women because they drive a
car or don't cover their faces. Al-Qaeda is a terrorist organization, not a
state, and its crazies wear street gear and operate disguised as civilians.
Terrorists dressed to pass like these were often shot right on the spot
during World War II and the Korean War.

I'm personally offended that none of the whistle-blowers seems to give a damn
about the welfare or safety of our sons and daughters guarding these thugs.
Have you read any stories about the dangers they face? Have any of our
politicians bothered to inspect our kids' living conditions when they've
jetted into Gitmo to check out the terrorists' treatment and pick up some
tube time?

Had anyone checked, they would have discovered that our U.S. Army Military
Police guarding the terrorists think the prisoners are being treated a lot
better than they are. They're not pleased that the brass, the lawmakers and
the press are more interested in the well-being of the detainees than the
soldiers guarding them, and that they might as well be invisible.

Here's what our soldiers from the Army's 401st MP Company out of Fort Hood,
Texas, who are the main monster-watchers, are saying:

"We live like crap down here with no extra pay or tax break, and we feel that
no one up above gives a rat's ass about us," a sergeant says. "Our officers
are more concerned with doing Pentagon damage control concerning the
detainees than looking after the troops."

"The detainees sleep on soft mats on a nice surfaced floor while we sleep on
cots inside tents with dirt floors. They get four hot meals a day, fresh
fruit, regular issues of snacks such as sunflower seeds, regular clean
clothes laundered by the Marine supply system," says another soldier. "We get
canned food and MREs, canned fruit. We buy our own snacks and do our own
laundry."

"The Marine general here says we can have a beer when off duty, but our Army
leadership is running so scared that it set a no-drinking policy," says
another troop. "We are responsible enough to secure the prisoners, but not
enough to have a beer."

"The Red Cross put us in a very dangerous situation with their demands, and
sadly our leadership went along with it," a soldier said. "We've been told to
lie to Marine inspectors over standards and requirements. The Marines are
right, the Army's wrong, and we're stuck in the middle."

Maybe someday, do-gooders, editors, lawmakers and senior Army leaders will
remember our soldiers are human beings with human rights, too, and get their
side of the story. Charity should begin at home.

http://www.hackworth.com is the address of David Hackworth's home page. Sign
in for the free weekly Defending America column at his Web site. Send mail to
P.O. Box 11179, Greenwich, CT 06831.

Write to same address to be off lists!