-Caveat Lector-

> > http://www.irna.com/en/tnews/020130191338.etn06.shtml
> >
> > Israeli officers, soldiers go on mutiny: press reports
> >
> >  Madrid, Jan 29, IRNA -- Fifty Israeli soldiers staged a mutiny
> > disobeying the order to shoot-to-kill the Palestinian civilians,
> > Madrid-based daily, ABC said on Tuesday.
> >
> >     ABC daily said that they distributed leaflets calling on their
> > colleagues to stop massacring the Palestinians.
> >
> >  The independent daily in Madrid quoted a statement from 50 Israeli
> > soldiers who initiated the campaign as saying, "We are conscripts
> > and reserve soldiers of the Israeli army. We have been trained to
> > dedicate our lives to defend the Israeli people and government. We
> > have been on the vanguard of service to the Israeli people. But, we
> > have understood that the humanitarian values are being victimized for
> > occupation of the Palestinian territories.
> >
> >     "Corruption is prevailing over the Israeli community. We know that
> > the territories do not belong to Israel. We have witnessed how the
> > price of occupation is being paid by blood and fire." the statement
> > further said.
> >
> >     "We know that Jewish settlements are doomed to destruction. We
> > hereby declare that we will no longer fight to provide security for
> > residents of the Jewish settlements. We will no longer cross the Green
> > Line (the line between the Palestinians and the Jewish settlements) to
> > go on occupation, destruction, lay siege on the Palestinians, massacre
> > them and expose them to starvation. We will no longer humiliate a
> > nation," independent Madrid daily, ABC quoted them as saying.
> >
> >     "We are Israeli soldiers responsible to defend the Israeli
> > government, but, we will no longer take part in occupation of
> > Palestinian territories and suppressing the Palestinian nation," the
> > mutinous soldiers said in their statement.
> >
> >     ABC said that two army officers, Captain David Zonshein, 28 and
> > reserve officer (computer engineer) Yanir Itzkovich along with 48
> > colleagues have staged the mutiny in Israeli army.
> >
> >     They said that they have witnessed the bitter extent to which
> > human rights have been violated in the past several years in Lebanon
> > and the Palestinian occupied territories.
> >
> >     The daily said that the campaign called "Choose us or the Jewish
> > settlements" is underway in the Israeli army and it is expected that
> > the activists will collect 500 signatures to support the campaign in
> > the weeks to come.
> >
> >     The activists said, "We are not cowards. We have been on mission
> > in Lebanon and the occupied territories. We have been trained as brave
> > paratroopers. We have sense of responsibility. But, they want us to
> > become war criminals, to forget humanitarian values and accept being
> > war criminals."
> >
> > SS/AH
> > End

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=17281&PHPSESSID=c0c4d3c65c44b4421a0d398c92f81553

04:30 Jan-29-02, 16 Shevat 5762

Mofaz Decries Letter from Left-Wing Reserve Officers

(IsraelNN.com) Army Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Shaul Mofaz decried the
letter that was publicized last week from 50 left-wing reserve duty
officers, stating they are willing to go to jail but will not serve
in Yesha (Judea, Samaria & Gaza) areas.

Mofaz stated that reserve duty is done in accordance to the law and a
responsibly to the country, and one does not have the luxury of
deciding where one will and will not serv

----