-Caveat Lector-

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2002/02/04/turkey.htm

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Turkish earthquake leaves at least 43 dead

By Burhan Ozbilici, AP
As funerals get under way, a Muslim imam leads prayers in front of of the
mosque of Sultandagi, Turkey, on Monday.

CAY, Turkey (AP) — Officials called off the search for survivors Monday as
soldiers and aid workers raced to provide shelter and food for Turks left
homeless by a quake that killed at least 43 people and damaged more than 600
buildings.

A military official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they believed
there were no more survivors or bodies left in the rubble of collapsed
buildings in the central province of Afyon, where hundreds of people spent
the night in tents or vehicles despite freezing temperatures.

The government's crisis center put the death toll from Sunday's magnitude-6
earthquake in a poppy-growing region in central Turkey at 43, and said
earlier reports that 45 people had died were based on inaccurate counting.

Municipal vehicles with loudspeakers drove through the small town of Cay
announcing the names of the dead, and the time and place of their funerals.

At a funeral in the nearby town of Sultandag, local men formed two long lines
and passed six coffins down a human corridor, before gently placing them in a
hearse.

Most of the buildings toppled by the temblor were old brick and mud houses,
shoddily built shops or state-owned buildings. Health officials said more
than 300 people were injured. Four mosques also collapsed, private television
NTV reported.

The quake, felt in cities up to 200 miles north and west of the epicenter,
shook a nation where memories of people trapped in homes are still vivid
after two massive quakes killed 18,000 people in the northwest in 1999. Badly
constructed buildings were blamed for the large number of deaths in those
quakes and some constructors have since been put on trial.

The government, accused in the past of reacting too slowly to natural
disasters, was sending over 20,000 blankets, 7,000 tents and more than 3,000
gas heaters to the region where Sunday's quake struck, Prime Minister Bulent
Ecevit said.

"The state is rushing to the aid of citizens who are suffering," Ecevit said
Monday after a Cabinet meeting to discuss the quake.

More than 600 buildings were damaged or destroyed, the government's disaster
relief office said.

With dozens of aftershocks rocking the region, officials warned people to
stay clear of damaged buildings. In Cay, hundreds of people preferred to
brave the cold and sleep outdoors or at a school used as a temporary hostel.

"I prefer not to go home, I feel safer outside," said Senol Gursel as he
joined a line of some 400 people for a traditional Turkish breakfast of tea,
bread and cheese. Gursel said he had slept in his car while his wife and
children bedded down on carpets at the school.

"Our house is damaged, we spent the night outdoors and lit a fire to keep
warm, it's all we could do," said Ibrahim Dogan, bringing his 3-year-old baby
to Cay's state hospital early Monday. He said the baby had caught a chill in
the bitter night cold.

In Sultandagi, troops pitched tents in the market place, while many spent the
night in cars parked well clear of buildings.

The dead included an elderly couple — Huseyin Seker, 75, and his 73-year-old
wife, Kezban — who were crushed at breakfast when a three-story building
collapsed on their home.

Sultandagi, near the epicenter, lies at the foot of the Sultan mountains,
some 125 miles south of the capital, Ankara. In the summer, the area's dusty
plains are carpeted by red poppies used to legally produce morphine
derivatives used as painkillers.

Write to same address to be off lists!