The Conservative e-Journal of Record
* Veritas Vos Liberabit *

Federalist Edition #02-06
Monday Brief

*To support The Federalist,
Link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/support.asp
*To sponsor The Federalist,
Link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/sponsor.asp
*To retrieve today's Brief as HTML printer-friendly text or PDF
Link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/current2002.asp
*To change your e-mail address or format, see instructions in footer.

______----********O********----______
THIS WEEK'S FEATURED SITE

Wednesday, we celebrate Ronald Reagan's 91st birthday. In his honor,
The Federalist launched Reagan2000.com, the Internet's most
comprehensive resource on President Reagan's life and achievements,
and a touchstone for all conservatives going forward. We invite you to
explore Reagan2000.com and share the site with your friends and
associates.

Visit -- http://www.Reagan2000.com

CONTENTS:
The Foundation
Insight
Good News
ICTUS Imprimis
Family
Culture
Liberty
Opinion in Brief
Editorial Exegesis
The Gipper
Government
On the Left
Political Futures
For the Record
Policy Pages
Reader Comments
The Last Word

______----********O********----______
THE FOUNDATION

"Government is instituted to protect property of every sort; as well
that which lies in the various rights of individuals, as that which
the term particularly expresses.  This being the end of government,
that alone is a just government, which impartially secures to every
man, whatever is his own." --James Madison

______----********O********----______
INSIGHT

"Next to the right of liberty, the right of property is the most
important individual right guaranteed by the Constitution and the one
which, united with that of personal liberty, has contributed more to
the growth of civilization than any other institution established by
the human race." --William Howard Taft

______----********O********----______
GOOD NEWS

"For the upright will inhabit the land, and men of integrity will
remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the
treacherous will be rooted out of it." (Proverbs 2:21-22)  ++  "Let
your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make
level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm." (Proverbs
4:25-26)  ++  "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart
produces good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure produces
evil; for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." (Jesus
in Luke 6:45)  ++  "What causes wars, and what causes fightings among
you?  Is it not your passions that are at war in your members?  You
desire and do not have; so you kill.  And you covet and cannot obtain;
so you fight and wage war.  You do not have, because you do not ask.
You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on
your passions.  Unfaithful creatures!  Do you not know that friendship
with the world is enmity with God?  Therefore whoever wishes to be a
friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." (James 4:1-4)

______----********O********----______
ICTUS IMPRIMIS

"There are three points of doctrine the belief of which forms the
foundation of all morality. The first is the existence of God; the
second is the immortality of the human soul; and the third is a future
state of rewards and punishments. Suppose it possible for a man to
disbelieve either of these three articles of faith and that man will
have no conscience, he will have no other law than that of the tiger
or the shark. The laws of man may bind him in chains or may put him to
death, but they never can make him wise, virtuous, or happy." --John
Quincy Adams

______----********O********----______
FAMILY

"All human life should be valued and protected. That includes the
health and lives of unborn children. Our nation's public health care
agencies should not discriminate against pregnant women and their
unborn children.  We applaud President Bush and Secretary Thompson for
setting right this past wrong and taking a significant step toward the
president's goal of building a 'culture of life.' It would be shameful
for pro-abortion advocates to oppose this policy for the sake of
staking out political ground. Unborn children deserve the same health
care benefits as all Americans." --Ken Connor

______----********O********----______
CULTURE

"Those who say that all cultures are equal never explain why the
results of those cultures are so grossly unequal. When some cultures
have achieved much greater prosperity, better health, longer life,
more advanced technology, more stable government, and greater personal
safety than others, has all this been just coincidence? Moreover,
people from other cultures are constantly migrating to these cultures,
which fashionable dogmas say are no better than any other." --Thomas
Sowell

______----********O********----______
LIBERTY

"This latest affront to our sovereignty makes it clear we must get out
of the WTO if we hope to avoid further international meddling in our
domestic affairs. The WTO is not about free trade, but rather
government-managed trade that benefits certain corporate interests.
The Constitution grants Congress, and Congress alone, the authority to
regulate trade and craft tax laws. Congress cannot cede even a small
part of that authority to the WTO or any other international body, nor
can the President legally sign any treaty which purports to do so.
America's Founders never intended for our nation to become entangled
in international trade agreements, and they certainly never intended
to have our laws overridden by international bureaucrats. Congress may
not object to being pushed around by the WTO, but the majority of
Americans do." --Rep. Ron Paul

______----********O********----______
OPINION IN BRIEF

"College campuses are home to elitists who are out of touch with and
have contempt for American values.... Americans as donors and
taxpayers have been far too generous with the higher education
establishment.  It's about time we stop paying for campus
anti-Americanism and academic dishonesty. Nothing opens the closed
minds of college administrators more than the sounds of pocketbooks
snapping shut." --Walter Williams

______----********O********----______
EDITORIAL EXEGESIS

"[President Bush's] specific references to Iraq, Iran and North Korea
were surely warnings to those states, and on Iraq in particular his
language was tough and his body language tougher. He sounded to us
like someone who has learned the lesson of his father's decision to
stop short of deposing Saddam Hussein. It's just as striking that he
singled out Hamas and Hezbollah, which target their terror at Israel,
as well as the Kashmiri terrorist group Jaish-e-Muhammad. Mr. Bush
knows that by naming the two Mideast terrorist groups he risks
angering Europeans, who like to believe there is a moral distinction
between terrorists who hit New York City skyscrapers and those who
attack a Tel Aviv shopping mall. The reference to Jaish-e-Muhammad is
bold because it operates from Pakistan, another ally. By treating all
terrorists alike, Mr. Bush is speaking with a moral consistency that
makes his campaign all the more credible. In all of this, Mr. Bush is
showing how powerful the modern American Presidency can be when
properly used. The keys are credibility and leadership, both of which
Mr. Bush has demonstrated since September 11. He has shown he is
willing both to delegate to strong deputies and to make forceful, even
fateful, decisions without looking back.... One year into his
Presidency, Mr. Bush sits in a remarkably powerful position. He has
overwhelming public support, he has reshaped the public's view of the
Republican Party in his image and his war on terror at home and abroad
dominates the national agenda. This is what strong presidential
leadership can accomplish." --Wall Street Journal

______----********O********----______
THE GIPPER

"Government is the people's business, and every man, woman and child
becomes a shareholder with the first penny of tax paid. With all the
profound wording of the Constitution, probably the most meaningful
words are the first three: 'We, the People.' Those of us here today
who have been elected to constitutional office or legislative position
are in that three-word phrase. We are of the people, chosen by them to
see that no permanent structure of government ever encroaches on
freedom or assumes a power beyond that freely granted by the people.
We stand between the taxpayer and the tax spender." --Ronald Reagan
(1967)

______----********O********----______
GOVERNMENT

"It isn't too far a stretch to suggest that the 28,000 new federal
employees hired to upgrade airport security will become union members
and, while they aren't likely to strike, might tie up the entire air
transport system...by simply checking ... each ... and ... every ...
bag ... very ... very ... carefully ... in ... the ... interests ...
of ... passenger ... safety.  And for higher pay." --Rich Galen

______----********O********----______
ON THE LEFT

"Mr. Bush's opposition at the moment appears to have been reduced to
agreeing with the president on just about everything and then saying,
'But let's make sure we don't run a deficit!' Mr. Bush is talking life
and death, love and honor and they're running around talking like
accountants. The Democrats of Congress seem at the moment to be acting
like liberal Republicans during the Great Society, always worried
about the cost of things and never the meaning. Without a message they
wince; they are acting like what H.L. Mencken said of the Puritans,
that they lived in constant fear that someone, somewhere is having a
good time. And I am not sure the coming deficit will have much
traction as a political issue for the Democrats. The public by and
large seems to know that (a) there's a war on, (b) we all want
whatever defense systems or weapons that can keep us alive to be
bought and deployed, and we'll worry about the cost later when we're
still alive, as opposed to dead, and (c) oh heck, Ronald Reagan said
we'd grow our way out of the last deficit and we did, let it go. I
quoted Bill Schneider praising Mr. Bush. After his speech, the liberal
historian Doris Kearns Goodwin said the president's words were
'galvanizing.' Chris Mathews compared him to Jack Kennedy. The New
York Times said Mr. Bush has 'soared to new heights'." --Peggy Noonan

______----********O********----______
POLITICAL FUTURES

"Liberalism is embarrassed by success and prosperity because
independent and free people do not need liberals -- and above all,
liberals need to be needed. Otherwise, they'd have to find real work
instead of careers in politics, entertainment, class warfare (the only
kind of war in which they believe) and, yes (and here I might be
guilty of self-incrimination), column writing."  --Cal Thomas

______----********O********----______
FOR THE RECORD

"For the first time in the history of political polling, more voters
identify themselves as Republicans than Democrats, according to the
first bipartisan Battleground Poll of this election year.  The poll,
done jointly this month by Republican Ed Goeas and Democrat Celinda
Lake, found 40 percent of voters identifying themselves as Republicans
and 35 percent who said they are Democrats.  Goeas cautioned against
interpreting the poll as signaling a major realignment, even though it
marked the first time that a plurality of voters have identified
themselves as Republicans to pollsters. 'I see this not as a problem
for the Democrats as much as an opportunity for the Republicans,'
Goeas said.  The main reason, he said, is the soaring popularity of
President Bush.  'He is the first person we've seen come along since
Ronald Reagan that the man is branding the Republican Party, as
opposed to the Republican Party defining who the man is,' Goeas added.
Bush has led the GOP into debating 'what the solution should be to
problems instead of just being against something,' he said.  Lake
agreed that Bush, in addition to the overwhelming approval for his
handling of the war on terrorism, is 'moving his party' from the
hard-line conservative positions the GOP has held since Reagan. In the
area of education reform in particular, Bush is luring such swing
voters as suburban women to the GOP, she added.  Lake noted that the
polls measure of 'voting behavior,' that is, how people actually
intend to vote, Democrats still enjoy a lead over Republicans, 46
percent to 43 percent, and contended that economic issues largely
favor Democrats in this fall's election." --Palm Beach Post

______----********O********----______
POLICY PAGES/POINTS OF INTEREST

Schedule of Events for President Reagan's birthday
Reagan Foundation -- Simi Valley, California
http://www.reaganfoundation.org/welcome/calendar.asp

______----********O********----______
SELECT READER COMMENTS
(To submit an editorial comment or read other comments, link to:
http://www.Federalist.com/postededs.asp)

"Regarding the Bush Administration's refusal to release any records
related to the private meetings with Enron executives -- what I see
happening is the Administration fighting the GAO to prove the point
that the White House is not 'required' to release details of private
conversations. Once that has been established by the court, I believe
President Bush and Vice-President Cheney will release all of the
records in question. This fight isn't about trying to cover something
up, it's about setting limits on the things Congress can demand from
the President.
Editor's Reply: Good point, however, our point is that the
conversations in question are not properly referred to as "private"
because they were undertaken in development of public policy and as
such should be open to the American people.

"Thanks for keeping us current on the shenanigans of Princeton
"bio-ethicist" Peter Singer, who claimed, 'Those of you who are not
vegetarians are responsible for taking a life every time you eat.'
Singer gives the unborn, newborn and invalid no more standing than
'plants.' My career is to assists the handicapped and I have yet to
meet one of our clients who is unworthy of life, as Singer would
suggest. We might all learn from the struggles of these wonderful
people. Indeed, I learn more, everyday, of the meaning of forbearance
as I do my part to live a life of value and service in a world which
also tolerates Mr. Singer. He is an abomination."

In the State of the Union address, our President called for a new
volunteer program where you would give the government 2000 hrs of your
time. I now work the first 5 months of every year for the government.
Isn't that enough?

Publisher's Note: In Federalist Digest #02-04, there was an
unfortunate and uncharacteristic "humor" inclusion regarding the
California gubernatorial debates. The remark, having not been caught
by our Editor for Standards and Practices, should certainly have been
censored by your Executive Editor. Though very few readers complained
about the comment, to those who saw it and were offended (and you know
who you are), please accept our apology.

______----********O********----______
THE LAST WORD

"This column has no choice but to blame the recession on the Bush
administration. The president ALWAYS gets credit or blame for the
economy, even though he has almost nothing to do with it. Bill Clinton
got tons of credit for the good economy of the past eight years,
despite the fact that his total contribution consisted of payments to
defense lawyers. So, having carefully considered all factors, this
column hereby declares the incoming Bush administration a failure. Do
not bother to thank this column: It is only doing its job. And do not
become overly alarmed about the future. Instead, consider the
inspirational words of one high government official, who, when asked
to ponder the fate of this nation, answered simply: 'Reply Hazy, Try
Again'." --Dave Barry

This Week's Leftoons:
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/garner.htm
http://www.cnsnews.com/cartoon/welcome.asp