-Caveat Lector-

From
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/fahey1.html

}}}>Begin
The  Bell Tolls for FreeRepublic.com

by Todd Brendan Fahey

On Monday, February 11, the 9th District Circuit Court of Appeals,
Washington D.C., will convene to hear oral arguments in re:
Washington Post and Los Angeles Times v. FreeRepublic.com LLC (a
limited liability corporation), in what is perhaps the most important
1st amendment case of the new millennium. At issue is the propensity
of FreeRepublic.com and its owner, Jim Robinson, to allow the posting
of whole-length articles from news organizations nationwide – a
policy the Post and Times, respectively, assert infringe upon the
intellectual property rights of both the news corporations and of
individual writers. At stake is a tort complaint of $1,000,000 lodged
against Mr. Robinson, and the very future of FreeRepublic.com. The
Supreme Court recently refused FreeRepublic.com's writ of certiorari,
effectively denying any hope that the nation's highest court will
hear the case, following a judgement for the plaintiff by the 9th
District Court; FR's claim was also denied a mediation hearing.

In simple terms, a judgement against FreeRepublic.com in the coming
months will spell an Error 404 message for a Web site that is
credited by many news organizations as ushering in President George
W. Bush over Al Gore.

Mr. Robinson's defense rests on his claim that Free Republic operates
under "Fair Use" provisions of the copyright law, as an educational
resource. Attorney Brian Buckley, for FreeRepublic.com, offered to a
lower court that, "The political views expressed by the majority of
participants are congruent with the goal of rooting out corruption in
government, though no censorship is made and all views are
permitted." (Emphasis added)

Further, Mr. Buckley presented to the U.S. District Court, Central
District of California:

"Defendant Free Republic (freerepublic.com) is a not-for- profit
politically-conservative internet web site begun as a hobby by
defendant Jim Robinson ("Robinson"), a disabled wheel-chair bound
victim of Muscular Dystrophy. Free Republic is a "bulletin board"
type of internet site which allows visitors to the site to "post"
articles and commentary to the site which can be read and commented
upon by other visitors to the site. Robinson created Free Republic in
1996 out of shear frustration. He was dissatisfied with the current
Presidential administration (the "Clinton Administration") and with
the "mainstream" media coverage of its policies and activities.
Robinson was frustrated with the inability on other internet sites
and alternative forums to engage in a completely free and open
discussion of news and politics – especially by dissenters to the
current Presidential Administration's policies and activities and
dissenters to the "mainstream" media coverage of same. Before
creating Free Republic, Robinson frequented other internet discussion
sites and was frustrated by their censorship and restrictions on free
statement of ideas.

Already in the computer consulting business, Robinson saw the need to
create an alternative forum which would allow open discussion of news
and politics – and allow open discussion of the "mainstream" media
coverage of same. Thus was born Free Republic." (Emphasis added)
(Verbatim transcript of FR's unsuccessful lower-court ruling.)
http://www.techlawjournal.com/courts/freerep/19991018mem.htm

For many months, FreeRepublic served as "an online gathering place
for independent, grass-roots conservatism on the web. We're working
to roll back decades of governmental largesse, to root out political
fraud and corruption, and to champion causes which further
conservatism in America" (front page mission statement). Lately,
however – dating back to the GOP primary Presidential campaigns – it
appears to many that the "independent, grassroots conservatism"
emphasis has been replaced by a rank-and-file boostership for the
Republican National Committee and all that President Bush sees fit to
offer for the nation – an increasingly liberal (Big Government)
vision, in the eyes of many "grassroots conservatives."

To wit:

Posters last month, attempting to bring to light nefarious events
relative to the CIA's MK-Ultra mind control experiments, and also the
galling push of certain members of the Bush cabinet to usher in a
National I.D. card, were rebuffed wholesale by Mr. Robinson. Threads
were pulled summarily, and those posting the articles saw their
accounts banned instantly. Mr. Robinson offered the following
explanations:

Lots of grumbling lately about deleted posts. Well, my friends, the simple truth is
the game has changed. We are now at war. We have been attacked by a vicious
cold-blooded force of international terrorists who want to de
stroy our nation, our freedom and our way of life. There is no doubt about this.
Knowing this, I am alarmed to read some of the stuff that has been posted to FR in the
last few days. This is not the time to raise doubts a
bout our leaders. This is not the time to raise conspiracy theories. This is not the
time to second guess our intelligence agencies. This is war. This is survival of our
way of life. We must unite behind our Commander-in-
chief and do all we possibly can to support him and our war efforts. We do not have a
choice in this matter. (thread)

To FR poster "jazzfanaticus," Mr. Robinson stated directly: