-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

A FEDERAL POLICE FORCE IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Rep. Ron Paul, R-TX, House of Representatives - September 17, 1997

Mr. Speaker, earlier this year, another Member severely criticized me on the
House floor for declaring on C-SPAN that indeed many Americans justifiably
feared their own government. This fear has come from the police state
mentality that prompted Ruby Ridge, Waco and many other episodes of an errant
Federal Government.

Under the constitution, there was never meant to be a Federal police force.
Even an FBI limited only to investigations was not accepted until this
century. Yet today, fueled by the Federal Government's misdirected war on
drugs, radical environmentalism, and the aggressive behavior of the nanny
state, we have witnessed the massive buildup of virtual army of armed
regulators prowling the States where they have no legal authority. The
sacrifice of individual responsibility and the concept of local government by
the majority of American citizens has permitted the army of bureaucrats to
thrive.

We have depended on government for so much for so long that we as people have
become less vigilant of our liberties. As long as the government provides
largesse for the majority, the special interest lobbyists will succeed in
continuing the redistribution of welfare programs that occupies most of
Congress's legislative time.

Wealth is limited, yet demands are unlimited. A welfare system inevitably
diminishes production and shrinks the economic pie. As this occurs, anger
among the competing special interest grows. While Congress and the people
concentrate on material welfare and its equal redistribution, the principals
of liberty are ignored, and freedom is undermined.

More immediate, the enforcement of the interventionist state requires a
growing army of bureaucrats. Since groups demanding special favors from the
Federal Government must abuse the rights and property of those who produce
wealth and cherish liberty, real resentment is directed at the agents who
come to eat out our substance. The natural consequence is for the intruders
to arm themselves to protect against angry victims of government intrusion.

Thanks to a recent article by Joseph Farah, director of the Western
Journalism Center of Sacramento, CA, appearing in the Houston Chronicle, the
surge in the number of armed Federal bureaucrats has been brought to our
attention. Farah points out that in 1996 alone, at least 2,439 new Federal
cops were authorized to carry firearms. That takes the total up to nearly
60,000. Farah points out that these cops were not only in agencies like the
FBI, but include the EPA, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, and the Army Corps of
Engineers. Even Bruce Babbitt, according to Farah, wants to arm the Bureau of
Land Management. Farah logically asks, 'When will the NEA have its armed art
cops?' This is a dangerous trend.

It is ironic that the proliferation of guns in the hands of the bureaucrats
is pushed by the anti-gun fanatics who hate the second amendment and would
disarm every law-abiding American citizen. Yes, we need gun control. We need
to disarm our bureaucrats, then abolish the agencies. If government
bureaucrats like guns that much, let them seek work with the NRA.

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants. Intimidation with government
guns, the threat of imprisonment, and the fear of harassment by government
agents puts fear into the hearts of millions of Americans. Four days after
Paula Jones refused a settlement in her celebrated suit, she received notice
that she and her husband would be audited for 1995 taxes. Since 1994 is the
current audit year for the IRS, the administration's denial that the audit is
related to the suit is suspect, to say the least.

Even if it is coincidental, do not try to convince the American people. Most
Americans, justifiably cynical and untrusting toward the Federal Government,
know the evidence exists that since the 1970's both Republican and Democratic
administrations have not hesitated to intimidate their political enemies with
IRS audits and regulatory harassment.

Even though the average IRS agent does not carry a gun, the threat of
incarceration and seizure of property is backed up by many guns. All
government power is ultimately gun power and serves the interests of those
who despise or do not comprehend the principles of liberty. The gun in the
hands of law-abiding citizens serves to hold in check arrogant and aggressive
government. Guns in the hands of the bureaucrats do the opposite. The
founders of this country fully understood this fact.

Published in Sept. 22, 1997 issue of The Washington Weekly Copyright 1997 The
Washington Weekly (http://www.federal.com) Reposting permitted with this
message intact.

Write to same address to be off lists!